Near Death Experiences and atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2013, 02:01 PM
RE: Near Death Experiences and atheists
(05-09-2013 01:35 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I wonder about NDE too. Do people in religions other than Christianity have them with their gods too? I've only heard of Christians ones, because I've only ever been around Christians. lol
Sure. Some Hindus see and interact with Yamraj the Hindu God of the Dead. http://www.near-death.com/hindu.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Artie's post
14-09-2013, 01:54 PM
For those of you who think Near Death Experiences might have some validity, explain why. I'm sure some of us can explain why the topic is a non-issue.
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
14-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Dunno know nothing about no NDE, but I do know something about dying. Some 15 years ago now I lay in a hospital bed dying for 24 hours 'cause the hospital was too fucking dim to diagnose a BURST FUCKING APPENDIX IN A 35 YO MAN. Peritonitis and sepsis obviously ensued and I lay there fucking dying. No amount of opiates even touched that. No effect whatsoever. There is pain, shingles in the eye is pain, and then there is dying. Not even in the same league. God never even entered my head. There was no room for anything other than dealing with dying. Last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist saying "Why wasn't this man in here yesterday?"

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
14-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Re: Near Death Experiences and atheists
Why would you expect to find many claims of that?

Not that I don't think it happens a lot.... But what would get that info out? What would be the market to sell a report/story of that.

I just don't see it because you see the religious ones by figures trying to sell themselves or little kids having this case. I just don't see general people with an experience like that going out to try and capitalize on it

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-09-2013, 12:42 PM
(14-09-2013 02:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dunno know nothing about no NDE, but I do know something about dying. Some 15 years ago now I lay in a hospital bed dying for 24 hours 'cause the hospital was too fucking dim to diagnose a BURST FUCKING APPENDIX IN A 35 YO MAN. Peritonitis and sepsis obviously ensued and I lay there fucking dying. No amount of opiates even touched that. No effect whatsoever. There is pain, shingles in the eye is pain, and then there is dying. Not even in the same league. God never even entered my head. There was no room for anything other than dealing with dying. Last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist saying "Why wasn't this man in here yesterday?"

Shingles in the eye!?? Wow! I've never had shingles of any kind. But am told that they are extremely painful! Glad you came through, my friend. So I and everyone else here can share a few sentence's with you.
06-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Hey I saw this post and had to become a member lol. I saw that someone said they haven't heard of many NDE from atheist and I would just like to share that I am an atheist and have had a NDE. When I was um...13ish I had an asthma attack while swimming (how unlucky am I) and consequently I drowned. It was just like all the other experiences I have read about with the bright white light and an overpowering intense feeling of comfort. Maybe comparable to having a million orgasms at once? I can’t describe how it felt other than a complete euphoria, unlike anything I’ve felt before. Attempting to explain it won’t do it justice but I knew I was close to death and that I wanted to stay in the warmth of the light. I then felt horrible and the white faded into black nothingness which was apparently the nurses bringing me back to life. When I came back into consciousness I was confused. I didn't know what was happening and it did make me think twice about religion. Even after experiencing what other people say might be some sort of religious experience I can’t help but to think that’s insane! The idea of heaven is awesome, but I’m sorry it’s just too silly. I it would be nice to hold on to that feeling after we die, but I feel that what I experienced was simply my brain dying. It was trying to make sense of what was happening. Perhaps that is the human body's way of comforting you as you go. When humans experience an intense injury or traumatizing situation we go into shock to protect us from the pain or whatever reaction might occur. So at least in my opinion it only makes sense that our bodies would have a similar reaction when our brains don’t receive enough oxygen. I am overtly aware of how fragile life is now and that it can end at any moment, but I’m not afraid to die anymore because if it is anything like drowning it should feel excellent: p
[+] 6 users Like QUELSQUELS's post
07-03-2014, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 01:33 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
EDited.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
07-03-2014, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 01:33 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
EDited.

[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
07-03-2014, 01:30 AM
EDited..

07-03-2014, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 01:36 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
I have OOB experiences all of the time, but it's a tingly feeling I get when I'm tired. It lasts for hours and it just feels like I'm dreaming, and I've always suspected my life was a simulation.
Or sometimes I have an OOBE and I feel just amazed/weirded out at random things happening, like, whenever this happens I always hear and see weird stuff on the news, like the weird cases on fox.
I feel like I can observe more than I usually can.
I don't know. Maybe my 177 Iq has something to do with it. (Seriously, that's my real IQ.)
I swear, these OOBEs make me feel like I'm one with myself, and fulfilled. (I've had them since 9 years old.)