Near Death Experiences and atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2014, 07:16 AM
RE: Near Death Experiences and atheists
(05-09-2013 10:14 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've been surfing the internet looking for atheists who have had near death experiences and remained an atheist afterward. So far I'm not finding much. Most people convert to some religious belief. I'm not sure if anyone has done a survey on this but if not someone should since NDE's are so common now what with modern medical ability to revive people.

My guess is, if this happens to a person and they feel it's profound, they'll talk about it. If the person doesn't see it as profound, they're less likely to share it.

Or maybe there is a high conversion factor.

(05-09-2013 10:14 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My understanding is that NDE can be induced by medical science. I once had an out of body experience while doing Yoga Nidra but I knew why and how it happened and I'm still an atheist. NDE's is another story.

You're probably thinking of the drug ketamine. It produces the strong sensation of leaving one's body and also makes the whole experience feel very profound. Most of the rest of the aspects of NDEs that people explain (lights at the end of the tunnel, etc) are things that the person expects to see, and these details tend to vary by culture.

In short, when a person who suffers an NDE tells us about what they experienced, we're taking the word of someone who is likely suffering some degree of brain damage.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
07-03-2014, 07:41 AM
I have come close to death a few times. Drowning, hypothermia, cardiac arrhythmia. About 10 years back, I flatlined for about a minute. There was no bright light. There was no voices. There was no jebus. And this was when I was still semi-religious. That experience helped accelerate my apostasy. It was the first time that I seriously considered the concept that there was nothing after death, only oblivion.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
07-03-2014, 07:44 AM
(14-09-2013 01:54 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  For those of you who think Near Death Experiences might have some validity, explain why. I'm sure some of us can explain why the topic is a non-issue.

I think the OP is referring more to the sensations that people experience when close to death. the bright light, sense of euphoria, etc

many people feel it and think its a religious experience, I think the OP is searching for those that experienced it physically but didn't feel it was a 'higher' power. (like QuelSquels posted).

to the OP- I think you can't find them because atheists consider the experience a medical condition and don't attribute it to anything more than a reaction in our bodies when under extreme duress. And the idea of "I almost died and had this really weird feeling" isn't near as exciting to write about as "I died and went to heaven and God sent me back"

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-03-2014, 07:48 AM
and for the record....we need more swim classes, because I had near drowning experiences 3 TIMES! I think I swim like a rock. I see I'm not alone, by reading this thread.

[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
07-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Well, I damn near died a couple times. Once in a car accident - I remember an incredible noise, (probably the moment of impact, the car ended up rolling and got all crumpled) and I certainly did see a bright light before "my lights went out", haha. Dunno what causes the bright light effect. I woke up lying in the grass in the sunshine with someone pressing on my chest - and it hurting like heck as some ribs were broken.

The second time I had an acute Asthma attack alone at home, triggered by a bad case of the flu. I was a miserable mess, and I was sitting bent forward concentrating on expressing air from my lungs. (you breathe in automatically, getting the air out is what you need to concentrate on if you should ever have trouble breathing). After hours and hours of that (no sense of time) I got very tired of it. Physically and mentally, I had had enough. I decided to stop trying to breathe. I leaned back and breathing stopped and I floated off. No bright lights this time. At some point I regained consciousness and realized I was breathing on my own, i.e. without extra effort, albeit very shallowly. This brush with death was just a relief and liberating.

Neither time did I ever even for a second think about a god.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-03-2014, 08:01 AM
(07-03-2014 07:48 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  and for the record....we need more swim classes, because I had near drowning experiences 3 TIMES! I think I swim like a rock. I see I'm not alone, by reading this thread.

I'm a great swimmer NOW. Not so much back then. I was really young. My parents put me in swim class immediately. It's really not a good idea to live near one of the largest lakes in the world and not know how to swim.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
07-03-2014, 08:15 AM
(07-03-2014 08:01 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 07:48 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  and for the record....we need more swim classes, because I had near drowning experiences 3 TIMES! I think I swim like a rock. I see I'm not alone, by reading this thread.

I'm a great swimmer NOW. Not so much back then. I was really young. My parents put me in swim class immediately. It's really not a good idea to live near one of the largest lakes in the world and not know how to swim.

twice when I was just a kid- had a styrofoam ring on my waist that 'fit' just right, except not so good when you get flipped over and can't flip back again and you don't slide out of it. Another time I was playing with other kids, jumping in/out, running and simply ran completely out of air underwater- I think another kid might have jumped on me?? very fuzzy memory.
the third time I was in my 20's.- I was with friends on a waterski weekend. I was a beginner and not into really trying to learn. I was trying to get back in the boat, I was on the edge trying to get someone to help me in, the current in the lake, and the shape of the side of the boat, was pushing me under the boat. I was with assholes that were partying all weekend. I flipped out started screaming, they finally pulled me out when I started blowing bubbles while going under and my fingernails put scratches all the way down the edge. I stopped hanging out with that group of nutjobs right after that.

15-02-2015, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2015 12:10 PM by Ora2015.)
(05-09-2013 10:14 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've been surfing the internet looking for atheists who have had near death experiences and remained an atheist afterward. So far I'm not finding much. Most people convert to some religious belief. I'm not sure if anyone has done a survey on this but if not someone should since NDE's are so common now what with modern medical ability to revive people.

My understanding is that NDE can be induced by medical science. I once had an out of body experience while doing Yoga Nidra but I knew why and how it happened and I'm still an atheist. NDE's is another story.

I had an NDE and became an atheist afterwards. I've recently posted my experience on Reddit if you're interested:

http://www.reddit.com/r/self/comments/2vzlei/lightobes/
[+] 1 user Likes Ora2015's post
15-02-2015, 11:41 AM
(05-09-2013 01:35 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I wonder about NDE too. Do people in religions other than Christianity have them with their gods too? I've only heard of Christians ones, because I've only ever been around Christians. lol

I did a little research into this because I was curious. No they don't. Japanese people see a river and blossoming trees. Indians are taken to a bureaucratic office and someone says that they got the wrong person and they come back to their body. Seems it is very cultural.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
15-02-2015, 12:17 PM
(15-02-2015 11:41 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  ... Indians are taken to a bureaucratic office and someone says that they got the wrong person and they come back to their body.

Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post