RE: Near Death Experiences and atheists
all I know about NDE's is that their complete bullshit

I made a thread about it last year after I joined TTA
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2015, 03:21 PM
I had a NDE about 20 years ago.

I was trying to get up from bed and it was so difficult that it took me a half an hour to move from laying down to sitting up at the edge of the bed.

I looked back and saw my body still laying under the covers. I felt under the covers and touched a cold foot.

I thought, perhaps I should lay back down.
And I did just that.

It was a surreal experience, but nothing other worldly about it.

I would suspect our own expectations shape a near death experience.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
15-02-2015, 03:29 PM
A near death experience is nothing more than lucid dream state. I've had dreams that one could call heavenly and some hellish. The brain translates what the body sends it. If the body stops sending signals, the brain can interpret that as you no longer connected to your body.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
15-02-2015, 05:46 PM
I recall reading about how an electrode stimulating the so-called "god spot" in the brain will produce powerful feelings of a beneficent presence (or move the electrode a bit, and you get a feeling of a malevolent presence) -- as well as feelings of non-duality, etc. If this sort of thing can be induced artificially then it is not at all a stretch to imagine that in early stages of brain death as things start to become disordered and shorted out, one can have profound and comforting (or occasionally terrifying) experiences.

Putting this together with the widely documented fact that NDEs are culturally determined -- a Hindu or a Buddhist or spiritualist does not pop out the other end of that tunnel into a Christian heaven to be greeted by Jesus, but into the sort of cosmology or afterlife they have been taught all their lives -- and I think that NDEs become no great mystery.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
16-02-2015, 06:39 AM
Whoops! Nevermind.

Didn't realize I was replying to a necro'ed thread.
16-02-2015, 07:54 AM
I don't see why being necro'ed makes any difference - obviously not everyone has said everything they wanted to on the topic. If it wants to live, it wants to live is my position.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-02-2015, 08:40 AM
I had OOB experience twice, I think that maybe it can be induced by a drop in blood pressure. Both times it happened in a summer time when it is not uncommon that my BP drops to 90 over 60. That's the only thing that could serve as an explanation why it happened that I can think of.
If drop in blood pressure really has something to do with it, maybe that can explain why many OOB's happen during surgery.

I found the experience to be interesting, not scary or creepy and certainly not religious.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
16-02-2015, 09:37 AM
(16-02-2015 07:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't see why being necro'ed makes any difference - obviously not everyone has said everything they wanted to on the topic. If it wants to live, it wants to live is my position.

I answered a question in the OP that was answered later in the thread. I googled a post on the exact same thread where someone joined specifically to talk about her NDE and how she didn't become religious. After I'd posted all that, I realized that the post I linked was on page two of this thread.

So, the post was wholly redundant, and I could have avoided that if I'd looked at the post date and read beyond the first page.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
16-02-2015, 11:04 AM
(16-02-2015 09:37 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 07:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't see why being necro'ed makes any difference - obviously not everyone has said everything they wanted to on the topic. If it wants to live, it wants to live is my position.

I answered a question in the OP that was answered later in the thread. I googled a post on the exact same thread where someone joined specifically to talk about her NDE and how she didn't become religious. After I'd posted all that, I realized that the post I linked was on page two of this thread.

So, the post was wholly redundant, and I could have avoided that if I'd looked at the post date and read beyond the first page.

Oh, ok Smile Yep, that can happen. Usually these old posts are picked up by newbies who want to add to the topic... Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-04-2015, 05:20 PM
I have had a near death experience and I am still very much an atheist.