Near-record protests break out in Romania on month after government takes office

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2017, 12:15 PM
RE: Near-record protests break out in Romania on month after government takes office
(05-02-2017 12:10 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 11:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  I love Romania. Was there long ago when it was part of the east block. Some of the highlights of my trip there:

The Danube delta is just gorgeous (albeit it was riddled with mosquitos).

Those were bad days there, at first I couldn't figure out why people were pressing pieces of paper with notes into my hand - then I realized they were names of medicines and names and addresses.
I collected them and back in Munich I went to the international Pharmacy there and showed them. They knew all about it and said they would take care of it.

The people were really nice and smart, too.

Police however - they grabbed my brother and took him to a translator who told him to tuck his shirt in. Then they brought him back. Tongue

An older lady invited us for coffee and put us right to work. Smile My brother had to manually grind coffee beans, I had to set the table, and bro's GF had to fill the sugar bowl and milk boat etc. while she heated the water. It was funny, everyone was put to work right away. We didn't even know her. Smile She was da boss!

Anyway, glad to see them standing up for themselves. the people back then who needed meds are surely not around anymore, but boy, would they ever be proud to see this.

That's interesting. I only know that they were under Nicolae Ceausescu who they killed Mussolini-style.

Nice little Christmas present for that piece of shit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2017, 01:22 PM
RE: Near-record protests break out in Romania on month after government takes office
I'm Romanian. Not from Romania, though.

I've been there recently to renew my passport. Haven't been keeping tabs on this.
05-02-2017, 01:43 PM
(04-02-2017 10:15 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Update:

Romanian Prime Minister Sorin Grindeanu has announced that the government will repeal the controversial decree after five consecutive days of pressure from protesters and political opponents.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38868736

Seems people still have the power to make the the unruly politicians listen. Maybe it will be lesson of which other gov's take heed?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
06-02-2017, 03:47 AM
You do know I'm on the other side of the Danube, right, Kimmie, right smack in the middle (yeah, stuck in the middle with me Undecided *)? The Danube might be frozen right now, but I ain't crossing it to check**.

I actually had no idea (I barely know what's going on on my side of the river. Purposefully). The thing is... I wouldn't get so excited, really, sounds like our common, deep-seated hatred of the state/government as such (legacy of those wonderful, wonderful communist times) and while keeping the government accountable is great, what we usually have here is just hatred, pure and simple (with a dash of "they're all crooks up there", which translated means "wish I was up there, too, lining my pockets"). What I was trying to say (and got sidetracked as usual) is that hatred and distrust of the state/government helps absolutely no one; what does help is aiming at creating states and governments like those in Scandinavia. But that takes work, bitching and moaning is way easier.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Won't be the first time...

Also, that frightening mob display after the fall of communism wasn't them revolting or taking justice in their own hands. It was the villagers coming after Frankenșescu with pitchforks and torches. Nothing glorious or noble about it, just a mob running wild (which is possibly the scariest thing I can imagine).**

*And yeah, there are clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right and me - the biggest of them'all.

** Now, if the river whiskey (or rather rum. Or cachaça), and I was a duck... Angel

(This was for you, Girly, dear ;-))

*** Not saying that putting up a statue of one's ex-dictator (okay, that's not really the right word. They were mostly puppets, whose strings were pulled from way over in the USSR), like we did, later on is the way to go about it, but at least we didn't kill no one Rolleyes Nor did we have a war, like another of our neighbours.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-02-2017, 06:38 AM
(05-02-2017 11:47 AM)kim Wrote:  Hope the people don't back down. This could even inspire us here in the US ... we need all the Hope we can get. Shy

Hmm... Consider I might check with Vera to see her perspective on the situation there.

Inspire America?
Pffft, ask the average American where Romania is and they'll probably point to Italy.
06-02-2017, 07:04 AM
(06-02-2017 06:38 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 11:47 AM)kim Wrote:  Hope the people don't back down. This could even inspire us here in the US ... we need all the Hope we can get. Shy

Hmm... Consider I might check with Vera to see her perspective on the situation there.

Inspire America?
Pffft, ask the average American where Romania is and they'll probably point to Italy.

We Americans resemble that remark! Angry

[Image: map-of-the-world-according-to-americans.jpg]

[Image: ambrosebierce1.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
06-02-2017, 07:10 AM
(06-02-2017 03:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  I actually had no idea (I barely know what's going on on my side of the river. Purposefully). The thing is... I wouldn't get so excited, really, sounds like our common, deep-seated hatred of the state/government as such (legacy of those wonderful, wonderful communist times) and while keeping the government accountable is great, what we usually have here is just hatred, pure and simple (with a dash of "they're all crooks up there", which translated means "wish I was up there, too, lining my pockets"). What I was trying to say (and got sidetracked as usual) is that hatred and distrust of the state/government helps absolutely no one; what does help is aiming at creating states and governments like those in Scandinavia.

Gov is nothing more than glorified servant deluding himself into thinking that it is master. So to earn trust gov has to serve and serve in way deemed good and just, not trying to rob his employer while he looks elsewhere. Distrust and hate may help no one but gov hardly is a victim in it - politicians just reap what they sowed.

Quote:But that takes work, bitching and moaning is way easier.

And that's exactly why politicians spend so much energy on talking what opposition fucked up and how hard it will be for them to repair it. It's easier to play a victim of former ruling clique or past times than doing something to help people.

Quote:Also, that frightening mob display after the fall of communism wasn't them revolting or taking justice in their own hands. It was the villagers coming after Frankenșescu with pitchforks and torches. Nothing glorious or noble about it, just a mob running wild (which is possibly the scariest thing I can imagine).**

What mob? Ceaușescu was killed after farcical trial by shooting squad. Hardly a mob lynch with pitchforks and festives. It was a fitting end for dictator and his wife who too was far from innocent.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-02-2017, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017 07:44 AM by Vera.)
(06-02-2017 07:10 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  politicians just reap what they sowed.

And that's exactly why politicians spend so much energy on talking what opposition fucked up and how hard it will be for them to repair it. It's easier to play a victim of former ruling clique or past times than doing something to help people.

And where exactly do politicians come from? Are they bred in incubators, in some secret Grow-A-Politican facility that I don't know of?

"Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite.", it's as simple as that.

As long as people in this part of Europe keep thinking in terms of "us", ordinary folk, and "them", the Government, all the while trying to cheat same government (as if they're not cheating only themselves), this place will continue to be... well, what it is now.

And nowhere did I say the poor wittle government is a victim. All I said is the government and the people are (or should) be ONE. The government comes from the ranks of the "ordinary" people, it's not some separate entity that comes from the Kuiper Belt!

The execution was barbaric and uncivilised and whether they "deserved" it doesn't enter into it at all. It was a shameful display that reflects on the ones who did it, not the ones it was done to.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
06-02-2017, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017 07:59 AM by Szuchow.)
(06-02-2017 07:30 AM)Vera Wrote:  And where exactly do politicians come from? Are they bred in incubators, in some secret Grow-A-Politican facility that I don't know of?

Considering how idiotic the lot of them are that seems probable.

Quote:"Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite.", it's as simple as that.

Hardly. Otherwise at least some nations would consist mainly of witless, nationalistic primitives who think that they were noting but victims during the course of history. Also their main concern would be sucking collective dick of clergy.

Quote:As long as people in this part of Europe keep thinking on terms "us", ordinary folk, and "them", the Government, all the while trying to cheat same government (as if they're not cheating only themselves), this place will continue to be... well, what it is now.

As long as "them" would be them (see the Smolensk catastrophe and money given to clique members) there isn't much of a chance to perceive things differently. Politicians with their privileges are different caste divorced from reality. Not everywhere maybe but I write mainly of Poland where upstart servants of people call people working for less than 6000 zlotys idiots of thieves (50% of Poles work for less than 3291,56 zł). [Said by Elżbieta Bieńkowska former minister of infrastructure]

Quote:And nowhere did I say the poor wittle government is a victim. All I said is the government and the people are (or should) be ONE. The government comes from the ranks of the "ordinary" people, it's not some separate entity that comes from the Kuiper Belt!

I used to thought that government is mirror of people. Now I think that this is very distorted mirror. Who but crook or someone uncaring of others will go for being a politician when politicians are nearly lowest of low when it comes to respect? Minister for example is respected only by 32%, of people while fireman get respect of 87%. [CBOS, 2013].

Quote:The execution was barbaric and uncivilised and whether they "deserved" it doesn't enter into it all. It was a shameful display that reflects on the ones who did it, not the ones it was done to.

It was just people mirroring their rulers and compared to atrocity that was Ceaușescu rule it was nothing.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-02-2017, 07:57 AM
(06-02-2017 07:30 AM)Vera Wrote:  And where exactly do politicians come from? Are they bred in incubators, in some secret Grow-A-Politican facility that I don't know of?

While I've never seen such a facility, I have had some up-close-and-personal experience with career politicians.

The vast majority of them enter the fray with high ideals and a strong sense of community duty.

But the system changes them.

The need for compromise, the need to get things done, the need to get elected again to do the right thing, the incessant criticism, all those elements (and more) changes them.