Need Advice: My wife may be coming around need guidance and suggestions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2013, 07:45 AM
RE: Need Advice: My wife may be coming around need guidance and suggestions
My advice...and it is certainly IMHO....let her grow, learn, read, and think at her own pace. When she reaches her goal, she'll have found it on her own. It will be hers and hers alone. Then she can, and will be prepared to, share it with you.....and others. For it will be HER convictions arrived at by her efforts.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
07-11-2013, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 08:05 AM by Hafnof.)
It's a bit long and inward-looking but...

Maybe start at 8:18

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Not "WWJD?", but "WWTFSMD?"!!!

2 points to whoever defines the acronym!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
07-11-2013, 08:02 AM
(07-11-2013 08:01 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  Not "WWJD?", but "WWTFSMD?"!!!

2 points to whoever defines the acronym!

What would the Flying Spaghetti Monster do?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2013, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 12:52 PM by Free.)
(06-11-2013 02:27 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  My wife and I were talking about my lack of belief. She said she was uncomfortable with the thought of no religion because she didn't want to think of her mother and grand parents dead, and not living on in some way. She also said she was scared that she was just going to end.

She hasn't gone to church in almost a year, and doesnt' take the kids. and when I pressed it she said on a scale of 1-10 her "faith" is a 2 or 3.

So, I really see she is where I was only a few years ago.

I wanted to know if there were some videos or writings you can suggest that talk about the wonder we still feel, the way we still want to do good and spend time with our family BECAUSE life is finite.

I did read her some quotes from Penn Jillette about treasuring people while thery are here instead of pining away for a better life after we die, but I'd like more.

I often see on this forum and on other internet portals such as this one how theists will state their misguided opinions regarding atheists and atheism in general. For example, we often see theists questioning how an atheist can have any morals, or they doubt the sincerity of an atheist’s point of view on specific matters relative to beliefs and/or a lack thereof.

So what does it mean to be an atheist? I suppose it means many things to many people, but let me share with you what it means to me.

When I look at theists who believe that animals have talked, people have risen from the dead, Jesus flew up into the sky, and there’s supposedly an ethereal kingdom awaiting them after they die … my heart reaches out to them in pity. For to be taught to believe such stories insomuch as to allow them to control their lives is nothing short of a human travesty enveloped in the abyss of intellectual depravation.

It really comes down to a position of personal integrity. Should we blindly follow beliefs in things that have no apparent supporting evidence, or should we be more honest with ourselves and pursue a more probable truth?

Isn’t belief in something that has no evidential support- and then professing it to be some kind of truth- not akin to propagating a lie? What I am saying is, unless you know something for a certainty, then you should never accept it as a bona fide truth.

If I were to say that there is a cannibalistic Great Onion living in the ocean who will place you in his toil and trouble caldron for all eternity unless you do what he says, then why not believe it? How is that scenario I have written here any different than the outlandish stories written in the Bible?

No.

It requires a greater degree of honesty and courage to reject the implausible in favour of the far more probable. To reject the tales that religions have spun onto our susceptible and intellectually depraved ancestors- who have passed down these traditional beliefs for centuries- requires the courage to accept that we are all in charge of our own destiny without expectation of a carrot-on-a-stick reward awaiting us at the end of this journey we call life.

And what is wrong with our conscious existence being terminated when we die, anyway? Why is that so terrifying? One way or another, after we die our bodies are destroyed and are eventually recycled and again employed by the earth to produce a new existence, be it a plant, or a tree, or some other living organism. To me, at least, this is a far more probable truth than an ethereal kingdom and I have no problem with accepting it.

There is nothing to fear, and nothing to grieve over. My parents have long since passed away and I am totally at peace with the most probable reality being that their conscious lives have ended forever. I do not wish to torture myself with implausible beliefs and improbable religious theories by constantly wondering whether or not they are in an ethereal kingdom called Heaven, or if for some reason they have entered into some eternal damnation called Hell. All I know for a certainty is that they are dead, and in all probability they will remain that way.

This position of mine is merely me being honest with myself, and it is this kind of honesty that atheists such as myself and others ascribe to. We are not this way because we are taking a stand against religion, but we are this way because it is the most probable truth. We are this way because of our morals, our honesty, our reasoning, and the fact that we respect an honest search for the truth.

In my experience I have noticed that many theists have a terrible time accepting a reality that when we die, it’s over. They want their loved ones to live on in some way or another, and who wouldn’t? Wouldn’t it be just perfect if we knew for a certainty that the end of this life only leads to the beginning of another in some place called Heaven?

But that is not a plausible reality. No, the most plausible reality is what I have aforementioned, and accepting that reality is the beginning of freedom from empty promises, ridiculous claims, and a long history of hand-me-down beliefs that have for centuries stifled the progress of the evolution of our humanity and intellectual advancement.

We are atheists. We were born this way, and so was everyone else on earth; each and every one.

We are atheists. We stand up for the truth no matter how harsh or heartbreaking it can be, because it is honorable.

We are atheists because, morally and ethically, it is the greater and most probable truth.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 3 users Like Free's post
07-11-2013, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 09:50 AM by Free.)
Deleted Double post.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.