Need Advice. Please Help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Need Advice. Please Help.
I recently told my very religious parents that I am an Atheist. Here's the situation, my mother was raised a Catholic, my father was raised Lutheran but never attended church. I am being raised Catholic as well. My father was converted to Catholicism. My parents make me go to church and religious education, and have gone to great lengths to shove religion in my face at nearly every given opportunity. A few days ago my mom sat me down and said, "I know you're not an Atheist." This offended me greatly. My mom then told me that my new religious ed teacher was going to be my dad. *sigh* He told me it might be more enjoyable if he was my teacher. *another sigh*
To be truthful, I don't think that they really understand my situation. Do you all have any advice or suggestions? Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2015, 10:09 PM
RE: Need Advice. Please Help.
(02-08-2015 09:55 PM)logan31202 Wrote:  I recently told my very religious parents that I am an Atheist. Here's the situation, my mother was raised a Catholic, my father was raised Lutheran but never attended church. I am being raised Catholic as well. My father was converted to Catholicism. My parents make me go to church and religious education, and have gone to great lengths to shove religion in my face at nearly every given opportunity. A few days ago my mom sat me down and said, "I know you're not an Atheist." This offended me greatly. My mom then told me that my new religious ed teacher was going to be my dad. *sigh* He told me it might be more enjoyable if he was my teacher. *another sigh*
To be truthful, I don't think that they really understand my situation. Do you all have any advice or suggestions? Thank you.
Hard to know how to respond when we don't know how old you are, & if you're dependant on parents.
02-08-2015, 10:21 PM
(02-08-2015 09:55 PM)logan31202 Wrote:  Do you all have any advice or suggestions? Thank you.

Tell your Mom you're gay.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-08-2015, 10:34 PM
(02-08-2015 10:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 09:55 PM)logan31202 Wrote:  Do you all have any advice or suggestions? Thank you.

Tell your Mom you're gay.

Lamo Bangin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Well, if you are stilling living under your parents roof and are a minor, you have to do what they say (and unfortunately that may include religion). That said, you are an atheist. You know religion is a man made entity. Look at what your dad teaches you as a bunch of stories, because that's all they are. Read the Bible as a piece of literature. Analyze it in that light. The Bible can actually be quite interesting if you learn about the culture of the time. As an atheist, I read the Bible myself--but I look at it as a collection of stories and a window into the past. Soon you will be out on your own and you can do what you like Smile
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
03-08-2015, 06:19 AM
I don't really think it need be that big an issue. If your mum wants to be in denial, fair enough. You are who you are. What others think wont change that.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-08-2015, 07:14 AM
i agree with jennybee, try to think of it more as a history lesson.

if you want to have a bit of fun with your dad (and maybe frustrate him into quitting Angel ), look on the main thinking atheist webpage (not the forums), there is a link at the top 'resources'. Under there is a whole list of bible contradictions. Try to find one that discusses whatever your dad is trying to teach. Have him explain why it says two different things and how to know which is right.

google the socratic method, ask questions that lead him to certain answers by the questions you ask.

in other words, flood your dad with so many questions that he cant keep up. Wink

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
03-08-2015, 08:19 AM
My advice would depend some on how authoritarian your parents are and how old/independent you are. If your parents have reacted harshly when you've pushed limits in the past, then it may be better to keep your atheism under cover and try to absorb the religious education they give you so that you can parrot it back to them, until you're in a position where you aren't dependent on them any more. You can certainly note, privately, all of the discrepancies, inconsistencies, and other idiocies of religion while you're learning about it. That will help you in later debates with theists.

If your parents are more open, but feel that your atheism is only because you don't know enough about their religion, then my advice would be to master the content that they are teaching you. That way, that your parents will know that you understand their beliefs. Then you can tell them the reasons why, despite the full religious education, you are still an atheist, and demonstrate to them why this was a thoughtful and considered decision.

It's a difficult situation for you, to be sure, and I hope at the end of it you and your family can have a close, but honest, relationship.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
03-08-2015, 10:02 AM
OK, from his first post, I gather Logan is 12 years old. Logan you are a brave young person. I could not fathom telling my parents that I am an atheist as a 12 year old. I don't have much to add, except to point out that parents sometimes behave as if they have "parent privilege" i.e. they think they know best simply because they are the parents and this can be in spite of their children coming into their own. If you do follow Bows an Arrows approach, you can come here and ask for tips. I am sure people would be glad to help you out.

There is a TTA Teens section here if you would like to communicate with other atheists closer to your age.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
03-08-2015, 02:39 PM
and don't forget to clear your browser history and cookies.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post