Need Advice with Comic Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Need Advice with Comic Books
I am not a comic book person. I need to talk to someone who is.

I am looking to buy my husband for his birthday, a comic book of Wolverine's first appearance,(although it doesn't have to be the first appearance) signed by Stan Lee.

Prices for these comics seem to range from $1,200 to $200. So I'm not sure what is real and what is a rip off.

Anyone care to weigh in?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2014, 12:44 PM
RE: Need Advice with Comic Books
(14-02-2014 12:16 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I am not a comic book person. I need to talk to someone who is.

I am looking to buy my husband for his birthday, a comic book of Wolverine's first appearance,(although it doesn't have to be the first appearance) signed by Stan Lee.

Prices for these comics seem to range from $1,200 to $200. So I'm not sure what is real and what is a rip off.

Anyone care to weigh in?

There are 4 criteria with what you are looking at. #1 The Signature Stan Lee signs everything his signature is worth like $50 so just add $50 to the price of a comic with the same grade as what you are looking at. #2 Grade this is what separates a $1200 comic from a $2 one. http://comicbooks.about.com/od/buyingcom...ograde.htm
#3 is Rarity. Since you have 1 specific comic in mind all will share this rarity but you should check some neutral sources and see if there are 10,000 issues floating around or 50 it makes a big difference. #4 Authenticity Do they have the paperwork to prove the signature? If not it will never be worth as much as if you have it verified. It is going to take a bit of homework to find a good deal but it is worth the time not to get ripped off.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-02-2014, 12:57 PM
RE: Need Advice with Comic Books
Thank you! Does anyone have a trusted comic book store they go to?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson