Need Friends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Need Friends
Just very sad today. And very lonely. I don't know anyone here that feels like I do. And how I feel isn't new but now that I admit it I am being pushed aside. The people who are so religious and have always been so close to me now have turned their backs.
I'm just sitting in my livingroom crying. In the last 24hours I have basically lost a uncle & Aunt, sister, brother and a couple friends. My mom doesn't support me and I just feel so alone.
It's ok for religious people to walk door to door, post blessings and stuff every where, to use it for any political argument. But me I am horrible cause I don't agree?!
I'm the same, exact same person I was a month ago before I decided to start coming out.

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 01:15 PM
RE: Need Friends
(13-06-2013 12:59 PM)AlaskaMom Wrote:  Just very sad today. And very lonely. I don't know anyone here that feels like I do. And how I feel isn't new but now that I admit it I am being pushed aside. The people who are so religious and have always been so close to me now have turned their backs.
I'm just sitting in my livingroom crying. In the last 24hours I have basically lost a uncle & Aunt, sister, brother and a couple friends. My mom doesn't support me and I just feel so alone.
It's ok for religious people to walk door to door, post blessings and stuff every where, to use it for any political argument. But me I am horrible cause I don't agree?!
I'm the same, exact same person I was a month ago before I decided to start coming out.

In a lot of ways, this is very similar to the "It gets better" campaign from the LGBT community.

I had quite a few family members quit talking to me and ostracize me once they found out I was an atheist (I didn't tell them, one aunt found out via facebook and then everything went downhill from there). I got phone calls from my mom crying and begging me not to tell anyone else lest people find out in my native town. Calls asking if I still celebrated Christmas. Did I worship Satan. Where did she fail. Etc, etc.

The result was that at crucial times in my life where I could use the support of my family, they were noticeably absent. The move to Syracuse by myself because my wife (fiancee at the time) couldn't move up for a few more months? That was right when they found out, so no contact there. My wedding? Some came, but I can't remember them saying more than the obligatory "congratulations" and most didn't bother getting us so much as a card. The birth of my son? Not a single phone call, email, card, etc. I had become invisible. A pariah.

They are a little better than they once were towards me, but I honestly think it is only because they want to have something to do with my son.

I am deeply sorry you are having such a difficult stretch. The community is certainly here to talk if you need it. And if you need someone to talk to at any hour, there are hotlines you can call and find someone to talk to. That might seem generic and depressing to hear someone recommend these support lines, but sometimes it just helps to hear someone's voice instead of text on a screen.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Oh my god I feel horrible for you! It's terrible that that happens, and youre perfectly right about how the religious get to flip shit around everywhere but were considered militiant if we openly dissagree. I had a couple fights with my family but nothing like that.

But youre not alone at all. I mean you found us didnt you? Dont change one bit about yourself because its their loss.
13-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Ill be youre friend, youve got plenty of friends right here. Smile
[+] 3 users Like Bjorn's post
13-06-2013, 02:08 PM
I'll be your friend, too! Hug

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
13-06-2013, 02:09 PM
(13-06-2013 12:59 PM)AlaskaMom Wrote:  Just very sad today. And very lonely. I don't know anyone here that feels like I do. And how I feel isn't new but now that I admit it I am being pushed aside. The people who are so religious and have always been so close to me now have turned their backs.

Pay me 500 dollars and I'll be your friend with an happy ending.

Just kidding. If you need someone to talk to just add me on skype and I'll try to entertain you: elk19612

[Image: 9f6.gif]
13-06-2013, 02:10 PM
(13-06-2013 02:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I'll be your friend, too! Hug

Speaking of friends, add me on skype ya bastard

[Image: 9f6.gif]
13-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Sorry to hear AM. Hope things brighten up for you.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
13-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Big Hugs, Akmom. Hug

I'd offer to be your friend too, but I don't want to pile more misery on you at a time like this. Big Grin

Fortunately for me, my family dysfunctionally doesn't ask deep personal questions of me so I've never used the Big "A" word. They know I won't go to church or pray at meals like they do so they probably think that's why I suffer from depression, but I've never had to actually come out like you did. I do know they'd love me anyway, but I decided I just don't want to discuss it with them.

But mostly I just want to say The Bearded One speaks truth: It does get better. Maybe not the relationships you're hurting over now, but the pain lessens and the loneliness lessens as you establish new relationships.

I realize Alaskans are spread out, but look for an Alaskan Freethinker group. Check meetup.com. Post here a lot. You are cared about. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-06-2013, 03:25 PM

That does not sound good! Did your family do this because you are not religious? What area of Alaska are you writing from?

Welcome to TTA. And, yes, it gets better...

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade