Need Some Advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2017, 01:13 PM
RE: Need Some Advice
Also. "Follow your bliss." - Joseph Campbell Smile

And, “We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-11-2017, 02:59 PM
ONLY you can decide what's best for you. I will say that I personally regret NOT completing my double major. Nobody I know who has done a double major regrets it. In general, the people I know who managed it did so with the one major as the thing they love and the other in something more likely to pay the bills. Like, say, accounting. (Sorry, but it's true.)

Trump is trying to take away our deduction for student loan interest. Just something to keep in mind. Did you apply for financial aid? What kind of package did the university offer you? Is any of it dependent on a specific major? I have a niece who got mega scholarships for being a WOMAN majoring in computer engineering. She hated it but it paid a LOT of her costs of school. So she double-majored in that and a field she loved. Now she is happily graduated, gainfully employed and loving what she does. Which isn't in either field of her degree majors. It started as an internship in college...

Give yourself the chance to explore. Be open to new ideas. Know that there are LOTS AND LOTS of good jobs that require a four-year-degree but don't give a crap about what it is in. They just require you have the diploma. Good luck.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
10-12-2017, 12:28 PM
(10-11-2017 09:23 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  So, I'm coming to the end, in this next year, of my associates degree. I have pondered on getting my bachelors, but there are too many things in the way to do that. Between me still getting a car, having to help pay for bills and other things, it's not easy to save. Plus I don't feel comfortable driving yet.

Now, my family, mainly my stepdad and my real mom, don't get that. He berates me because I don't get my license, and how I should go into business. Even though I've said SEVERAL times I'm not interested in running my own business. Keep in mind they are heavy conservatives. My bachelors would require for me to to go to Virginia Tech, which would be long, complicated, and getting a job to sustain myself would be even harder!

I've also thought about going for something else, Horticulture is my major because that's what I love. My real mom, not my grandmother who I call 'mom', suggested I go into accounting. I said flat out 'That sounds like a boring job.'. I don't want to do something that will pay high, but make me dread going to work everyday. She gets all huffy on how 'You think you know everything!' when I tell her no to what she suggests.

I asked for advice asshat, not you telling me I should do something. Also there are times I'm just venting, and want someone to tell me I don't have to go for my bachelors to be successful. The odds are staked against me, getting a car isn't easy, much less me not being terrified to drive. My own aunts took till they were 25 to drive, and it was also for the same reasons I have.
Seems like everyone in my family is being an asshole, telling me to go into business, get my own company. No matter how many times I tell them it just isn't that simple as it used to me. I passed Business Math by the skin of my teeth! What makes them think I can do all the other classes with it. I'm just not interested in ruling over people, too much stress, numbers, and frustrating days. They think i'll just magically change my mind about it. Sorry family I'm not going to be your Trump.

Thing is, I want to get another degree, but it's not what they like. I want to minor in Philosophy, but my school doesn't have that. And i don't want to go far, as getting a dorm and job with no car isn't easy. I'm working on my licenses, after I get behind a car with someone I trust first. All my family has is a truck, jeep, and another truck. Not the best to start on.

Everything is against me, and they just keep telling me the odds. I get I should go to college while I can being under 21 and such. But, I'm happy with my degree and just getting an associates as, for me alone, I could afford a nice apartment and food, and STILL have enough to save for nice things. But NOOOO I have to get my own company or flower shop and such. That alone doesn't apply to me, I'll let another crunch those numbers, I'd much rather be in the field working with the plants than in an office.

What do you all think? I'm unsure what to do, anything but accounting that is for sure thought, and it's not easy when family isn't helping. I kind of want opinions from people who don't claim to automatically know me.

I will be speaking from the other end of the process you are going through. I knew I wanted to get a college degree well before I turned twenty, back in 1972. I was also married during that time, and in short order I had my first baby, quickly followed by a devastating divorce. Through it all I took two or three classes per quarter at my community college. I had to take time off between quarters because life, but kept going back until I finally got my associates degree in the mid-80s. So I am saying keep chugging along toward your goal, and be flexible, as well as hard-working.

I moved across country a couple of times, which resulted in attending three different universities as I plowed through the process of earning my BS. Through all these events, I held a job, ran a household, and mothered my two children. I encourage you to find ways to do the things that are necessary to live, and keep working on realizing your goals.

I wound up accumulating more credits than any one school required, which was frustrating at the time. I kept going, finally graduating with a BS in political science in 2010. About 9 months after graduation I suffered a heart attack that resulted in open-heart surgery and a long recovery period. Once I was back on my feet I applied to a university that offered the Master's course I was interested in, and completed the work in two years. By the time I finished my undergrad and Master's degrees my children were grown and I had grandchildren. My only regret is that I was getting old! My advice to you is to find solutions to your obstacles, and apply your energy to overcoming them. Do it sooner rather than later, because you do not yet have a family of your own, and you still have the energy of youth on your side.
[+] 1 user Likes Splivet's post