Need a Second Opinion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Need a Second Opinion
(24-01-2014 11:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My father did the same.

I'm the reverse. When offered black pepper in a restaurant, I refuse on the grounds that I want to taste the meal as the chef intended it. I reckon it would be an insult to said chef to not try it before I changed it.

When I was down and out in Paris, I took a job in Burger King (Hungry Jack's for the Aussies), Champs Elysee. They added shitloads (measured precisely) of pepper to make the punters order more drinks.

Since then, I have stopped cooking with both salt and pepper... but it took a while to get used to real flavours.

I suggest that you try slowly reducing the amounts you use to re-balance your taste receptors.
If not, you'll end up like my Thai girls who can only start eating once they've added shitloads (again) of chilies.

That's all I got, sorry, I don't have a second opinion.

Tongue

Your Thai girls? Lol

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2014, 01:31 PM
(24-01-2014 12:56 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 12:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  I love black pepper - your picture looked fine to me. Drooling

But I usually use less than that because I use fresh ground pepper. The stuff in those packets has lost its mojo. Undecided

Totally agree. Fresh ground pepper is amazing. But alas, it's from my work's cafeteria. I can only do so much lol. Though I still use a decent amount for fresh pepper as well

You can get inexpensive salt and pepper grinders at the grocery store. I always have them at work. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-01-2014, 01:35 PM
(24-01-2014 11:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My father did the same.

I'm the reverse. When offered black pepper in a restaurant, I refuse on the grounds that I want to taste the meal as the chef intended it. I reckon it would be an insult to said chef to not try it before I changed it.

When I was down and out in Paris, I took a job in Burger King (Hungry Jack's for the Aussies), Champs Elysee. They added shitloads (measured precisely) of pepper to make the punters order more drinks.

Since then, I have stopped cooking with both salt and pepper... but it took a while to get used to real flavours.

I suggest that you try slowly reducing the amounts you use to re-balance your taste receptors.
If not, you'll end up like my Thai girls who can only start eating once they've added shitloads (again) of chilies.

That's all I got, sorry, I don't have a second opinion.

Tongue

I don't add salt to foods I eat. I do add smal amounts when I cook tho, if I think it needs it. I'm not a huge fan of salty foods, unless I'm stoned or suffering from pms.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-01-2014, 01:36 PM
(24-01-2014 11:07 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 11:04 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Ummmm...serranos and habeneros Smile

Nope, it can be spelled both ways. The "j" sound in Spanish is the "h" sound in English. Google both spellings and you'll see Smile

Wasn't correcting you, I didn't know it could be spelled with a J too!Thumbsup

What are your thoughts on Thai chilis? I like them, lots of bang in a little package.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
24-01-2014, 01:43 PM
(24-01-2014 01:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 12:56 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Totally agree. Fresh ground pepper is amazing. But alas, it's from my work's cafeteria. I can only do so much lol. Though I still use a decent amount for fresh pepper as well

You can get inexpensive salt and pepper grinders at the grocery store. I always have them at work. Yes

Yeah I have those at home, but never thought of bringing them to work... hmm, though I love the idea, I don't think I can. My department doesn't have a kitchen area, nor do I have an office. So I'm pretty much stuck with it. But whatever, it's only meal a day. I'll live Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
24-01-2014, 01:47 PM
(24-01-2014 01:36 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 11:07 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Nope, it can be spelled both ways. The "j" sound in Spanish is the "h" sound in English. Google both spellings and you'll see Smile

Wasn't correcting you, I didn't know it could be spelled with a J too!Thumbsup

What are your thoughts on Thai chilis? I like them, lots of bang in a little package.

I actually didn't either until about a year ago when I went shopping down in Mexico. So I decided to spell with a "j" from then on to be more authentic Tongue

I'm not sure about the Thai ones. I feel like I've tried them but I'm not sure... they the tiny little red ones that have a serious bite?

Atir aissom atir imon
24-01-2014, 01:52 PM
(24-01-2014 01:47 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 01:36 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Wasn't correcting you, I didn't know it could be spelled with a J too!Thumbsup

I actually didn't either until about a year ago when I went shopping down in Mexico. So I decided to spell with a "j" from then on to be more authentic Tongue

I'm not sure about the Thai ones. I feel like I've tried them but I'm not sure... they the tiny little red ones that have a serious bite?

Yes, they are little and red (seen them green too). Certainly not the hottest but a wonderful bite.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
24-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Welcome to club weird I'm your president Alaina!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2014, 01:53 PM
(24-01-2014 01:52 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Welcome to club weird I'm your president Alaina!

Where's my foil hat? I WANT MY FOIL HAT Angry

Atir aissom atir imon
24-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Are you a smoker? I've heard smoking can dull your sense of taste a bit over time.