Need a few pointers regarding evolution.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2011, 06:43 PM
RE: Need a few pointers regarding evolution.
(05-11-2011 06:21 PM)Alaskan Atheist Wrote:  He immediately responded with some apologist horse manure: "Oh, that was just an example I was using. I was talking about the other islands."

Sweet, so I take it his position is now life everywhere was intelligently designed except the Galopagos Islands. Sounds reasonable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Eye Sage's post
06-11-2011, 02:23 PM
(05-11-2011 06:21 PM)Alaskan Atheist Wrote:  Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yesterday I pointed out some obvious flaws in his argument, such as "You do know that the Galapagos are volcanically formed and wasn't there during Pangaea?" He immediately responded with some apologist horse manure: "Oh, that was just an example I was using. I was talking about the other islands." - Uhhh, then say that in your original argument you little...

Anyway, I'll read up on evolution more and formulate an argument, and just give it to him straight, and if he listens and says "Huh... maybe you're right" then mission accomplished - if not, screw him.

Yeah, screw him! Big Grin

(...well, if he's cute, and you're female. Otherwise, ya might just wanna avoid that kinda trouble. Wink)

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2011, 10:47 PM
(06-11-2011 02:23 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(05-11-2011 06:21 PM)Alaskan Atheist Wrote:  Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yesterday I pointed out some obvious flaws in his argument, such as "You do know that the Galapagos are volcanically formed and wasn't there during Pangaea?" He immediately responded with some apologist horse manure: "Oh, that was just an example I was using. I was talking about the other islands." - Uhhh, then say that in your original argument you little...

Anyway, I'll read up on evolution more and formulate an argument, and just give it to him straight, and if he listens and says "Huh... maybe you're right" then mission accomplished - if not, screw him.

Yeah, screw him! Big Grin

(...well, if he's cute, and you're female. Otherwise, ya might just wanna avoid that kinda trouble. Wink)

I'm a guy and he's fug buttly. Haha
[+] 2 users Like Alaskan Atheist's post
11-11-2011, 05:25 PM

I am not a geologist, but arent all islands formed by volcanoes?
13-11-2011, 09:01 PM
(11-11-2011 05:25 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I am not a geologist, but arent all islands formed by volcanoes?

Not all. There are also continental islands, such as the British Isles, that broke away from a larger land mass.

The difference is very important to evolutionary theory. Continental islands typically share nearly every species with the continent they broke away from because they were there before the separation existed. Volcanic islands by contrast do not share certain kinds of species with nearby continental land masses, and these are precisely the kinds of species that would have no ready means of crossing the gap of ocean that separate them. This includes nearly every kind of non-aquatic mammal, including bats. The alternative explanation, that these species are not suited to the environments of volcanic islands doesn't hold up to the fact that when mammals are introduced by humans they thrive.

Of course these observations also fit perfectly with the Creationist perspective - you just have to assume as usual that God arranged things to look exactly the way they would if life evolved in order to fool us. That God... always the prankster.
[+] 2 users Like Eye Sage's post
13-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Genesis 10:25 mentions "… one was named Peleg, because in his time the earth was divided…"
I wonder if he is confusing that with the different stages of tectonic plate separation.... ? What a dink. Dodgy
Confused They'll give a diploma to anyone these days.

You got it all over this goofball 'cause you know....
Heart We're made of star stuff.
Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-11-2011, 04:02 AM
Intelligent design is makeup on a pig, and God is a repository of scientific ignorance.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
04-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. We've basically just dropped the subject and agreed to disagree. Albeit I do hope I've planted a seed for him to study it more and learn for himself.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan