Need a question answered from a neutral perspective.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Need a question answered from a neutral perspective.
As many of you know, I have faced some acidity from fellow Christians because of my theology. I really don't understand why this is, but I'm trying to view it from a different point of view without prejudice. I still don't see why, so I need a 3rd party perspective on the situation. So my questions:

*All of these are directed towards traditional Arminian/YEC/Dispensationalist Christians*

1) Why is my theology so threatening?
2) Why does my theology incite such vitriol?
3) Why do you ignore scripture that is contrary to what you believe?
4) Why are you right, and I'm wrong?
5) Why do you refuse to educate yourself on other theological doctrines?

So, in short, I would like for y'all to answer these questions from what you know of typical Christianity and my theology so that I can try and understand the "why".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2012, 03:21 PM

RE: Need a question answered from a neutral perspective.
(23-02-2012 03:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  As many of you know, I have faced some acidity from fellow Christians because of my theology. I really don't understand why this is, but I'm trying to view it from a different point of view without prejudice. I still don't see why, so I need a 3rd party perspective on the situation. So my questions:

*All of these are directed towards traditional Arminian/YEC/Dispensationalist Christians*

So, in short, I would like for y'all to answer these questions from what you know of typical Christianity and my theology so that I can try and understand the "why".

Not sure you are gonna find many current Xtians on this forum. As an EX Xtian of those you defined let me answer. (sarcasm mode TOTALLY OFF)
1. Because its different than what i have been taught to believe and anything different than what i have is "Liberal". I have pure religion, you have liberal so you have been compromised by the devil .
2. Because it challenges me. I don't have a BS/Masters or PHD in Theology..so my easiest defense is to block you, put up a wall and treat you rudely so you'll leave me alone.
3. There is nothing contradictory or contrary. You are Liberal and nuts.
4. Because of my personal experience i once had and my constant communion with JC. I 'feel' him speak to me in a soft voice and its somewhat beyond the written bible.
5. I have the KJ Version and thats all i need. I might go read a strobel book but NEVER look anywhere else but the bookstore at church for new info.

THIS IS EXACTLY how i once, and many still do feel.

My best friend works for Focus on the Family, he's told me he refuses to read any of my books, he does not want to hear anything i have to say. He does NOT want to be challenged because he's saved..nothing more to add to the conversation.
Pretty sad that he's stopped his learning, but its how the vast majority of the Christian population works.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
23-02-2012, 03:29 PM
(23-02-2012 03:21 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(23-02-2012 03:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  As many of you know, I have faced some acidity from fellow Christians because of my theology. I really don't understand why this is, but I'm trying to view it from a different point of view without prejudice. I still don't see why, so I need a 3rd party perspective on the situation. So my questions:

Not sure you are gonna find many current Xtians on this forum. As an EX Xtian of those you defined let me answer. (sarcasm mode TOTALLY OFF)
1. Because its different than what i have been taught to believe and anything different than what i have is "Liberal". I have pure religion, you have liberal so you have been compromised by the devil .
2. Because it challenges me. I don't have a BS/Masters or PHD in Theology..so my easiest defense is to block you, put up a wall and treat you rudely so you'll leave me alone.
3. There is nothing contradictory or contrary. You are Liberal and nuts.
4. Because of my personal experience i once had and my constant communion with JC. I 'feel' him speak to me in a soft voice and its somewhat beyond the written bible.
5. I have the KJ Version and thats all i need. I might go read a strobel book but NEVER look anywhere else but the bookstore at church for new info.

THIS IS EXACTLY how i once, and many still do feel.

My best friend works for Focus on the Family, he's told me he refuses to read any of my books, he does not want to hear anything i have to say. He does NOT want to be challenged because he's saved..nothing more to add to the conversation.
Pretty sad that he's stopped his learning, but its how the vast majority of the Christian population works.

Ditto, for the most part.

The biggest why has to do with cognitive dissonance:
I've worked very hard at compartmentalizing my whacky beliefs. If you challenge me with something other than what I have already subscribed to against my innate reason, then the whole house of cards may fall down.

In fact, that's pretty much a part of my experience with enlightenment.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
23-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Well, I can certainly answer this from a Veridican point of view:

1 You’re not threatening; you’re in the way.

2 Because it’s weak and bows down to atheists.

3 I don’t. I’ve studied the whole Bible, Koran, and the teachings of Buddha, and the Upanishads.

4 Because we disagree. Either you’re right, or I’m right, or we’re both wrong. But we can’t both be right if we disagree.

5 What makes you think I haven’t studied other religions?

Having said all that, it is good to see you at least mention your beliefs in an atheist forum instead of laughing and drinking beers with them all night.
23-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Well, I can certainly answer this from a Veridican point of view:

1. Live Long and Prosper
2. the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few
3. Impulse drive is for pussies
4. Romulan Ale is the shit and leads to human-on-alien sex!
5. Kirk is the only true captian of the enterprise, the rest are just posers.
[+] 10 users Like Denicio's post
23-02-2012, 03:46 PM
(23-02-2012 03:39 PM)Egor Wrote:  Having said all that, it is good to see you at least mention your beliefs in an atheist forum instead of laughing and drinking beers with them all night.

You're right, you know. This is the first time I've ever mentioned anything about my theological beliefs on this site.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 7 users Like kingschosen's post
23-02-2012, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 03:55 PM by kineo.)
(23-02-2012 03:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  *All of these are directed towards traditional Arminian/YEC/Dispensationalist Christians*

Well to me, these are pretty easy. Maybe it's because of my bias, but I will say it's because of my past. I spent two years in what was essentially a ministry school. I've traveled the country and been to lots and lots of churches. I've met a ton of Christians from all walks of life. The biggest problem is that your beliefs are different. Different is bad. You're like a Pokemon to them. It's not American, it's got little animals that look like demons, therefore, it's demonic!

You've removed the power of my choice to have faith in God. God rewards those who choose him over the earthly desires that are ever-present in the world. I made a choice to follow God, and God will reward me for that choice.
Different means that you don't think the same. You might teach their kids to think differently than they do. If they think differently, they might misbehave. They are harder to control.
It's not me who is being contrary, you are bringing these teachings into our flock. But I don't reject you, you just really need to look hard at what you choose to believe what you believe. It's not the way of God, and you are trying to lead the flock astray of the path to God.
To them, it's like you're making stuff up. That's not what their church teaches them, so it's wrong. That's not what they've believed all of their lives, so it's wrong.
I'm sorry but you have misinterpreted the meaning of those scriptures. You're taking them out of context. You should really come to our Bible study more often- we can study the real intended meaning of these scriptures together and then you'll understand better.
It's not me, it's you.
Because you were taught by people who were heretical. Or you made it up yourself. You really don't pray enough and you're not letting God speak to you and guide your beliefs. You should take some time and really pray about what you believe and seek the truth.
You're the one who is different, you're the black sheep in the flock. That means you're outnumbered and you are the one in the wrong.
I do study the Bible and I pray on what I read. I read my daily devotional and it gets me through the day, it is my daily bread. Our pastor provides us with wonderful teachings and he really knows his stuff! He is our shepherd and would never lead us astray of the path to God.
When you rely on your pastor to tell you what to believe it removes the burden off of your back to learn on your own. Sure you have to pretend to learn- read the Bible, study, etc. But don't you dare draw your own conclusions if they differ from church-approved doctrine. It's the unwritten rule.
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
23-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Kingsy vs the Christ-ys

1) Why is my theology so threatening? - because my belief system is extremely fragile and I fear and become extremely defensive toward anything that might dent or even put a crack in it. (I know I don't have any faith... but no one else needs to know that I don't.)
2) Why does my theology incite such vitriol? - duh, answer to number one.
3) Why do you ignore scripture that is contrary to what you believe? - shit man, answer to number one, again!
4) Why are you right, and I'm wrong? - I think I've repeated this enough… you are really starting to piss me off you fucking heretic… did you get this shit by hanging out with your little Atheist friends?
5) Why do you refuse to educate yourself on other theological doctrines? - That's it asshole. You are a fucking cult weirdo and I only wish I were Muslim so I could make a Jihad on your fucking, Satan worshiping ass.

Did I do good? Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
23-02-2012, 03:51 PM

1. Because you haven't outright denied science we know to be true. (this one is directed at other Christians I assume. I don't find it at all threatening.)
2. Christians gonna Christian.
3. I don't.
4. Physical and philisophical evidence strongly suggests that you are wrong.
5. I occasionally dive into a little Judaism and Islam. You and I had a discussion about the Torah and Quran recently.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
23-02-2012, 03:57 PM
(23-02-2012 03:51 PM)kim Wrote:  Did I do good? Blush

Y'dunn goo-ud!
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post