Need a question answered.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 12:31 AM
RE: Need a question answered.
(06-02-2013 03:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What is the scientific proof that shows biological evolution started from a single cell?

Consider

Your mom's eggs?

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
07-02-2013, 12:45 AM
(07-02-2013 12:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-02-2013 03:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  What is the scientific proof that shows biological evolution started from a single cell?

Consider

Your mom's eggs?

Drinking Beverage
This is what we in sales refer to as a "Win". Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
07-02-2013, 01:33 AM

So, what prompted this question?

And why a single cell? KC, I figured you knew evolution worked en masse.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
25-02-2013, 04:42 AM
Same reason we think the universe had a beginning. Working with causal relationships in reverse: i.e. universe is expanding as time moves forwards, so logically the universe contracts if we rewind time; if the universe keeps contracting, it will have a single point of origin. Same thing applies to biological life; complexity was added over large amounts of time. This can be shown in lab reproduced experiments and in nature (though far less obvious because it takes so long).

Also, please explain the picture in your signature to me. I had a wtf moment staring at it.

Science, logic and how they destroy religious arguments @ http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.
- Isaac Asimov.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
26-02-2013, 05:14 AM
(06-02-2013 04:13 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
there is no proof, some biologists think that life could've started several times but our tree of life is hegemonic and they're searching for other forms of "shadow life" as they call it.

If you mean that it could start from a multicellular organism, the fact that single cell organisms fossils predates multicellular ones is a big clue Tongue
In this vein the Cairn-Smith hypothesis has always been an idea Ive found fascinating.

Clay hypothesis

In simplified form, this is the clay hypothesis: Clays form naturally from silicates in solution. Clay crystals, as other crystals,
preserve their external formal arrangement as they grow, snap, and grow
further. Clay crystal masses of a particular external form may happen
to affect their environment in ways that affect their chances of further replication. For example, a 'stickier' clay crystal is more likely to silt a stream bed, creating an environment conducive to further sedimentation.
It is conceivable that such effects could extend to the creation of
flat areas likely to be exposed to air, dry, and turn to wind-borne
dust, which could fall randomly in other streams. Thus—by simple,
inorganic, physical processes—a selection environment might exist for
the reproduction of clay crystals of the 'stickier' shape.

There follows a process of natural selection for clay crystals that trap certain forms of molecules to their surfaces (those that enhance their replication potential). Quite complex proto-organic molecules can be catalysed by the surface properties of silicates.
The final step occurs when these complex molecules perform a 'Genetic
Takeover' from their clay 'vehicle', becoming an independent locus of
replication - an evolutionary moment that might be understood as the
first exaptation.

Despite its frequent citation as a useful model of the kind of process that might have been involved in the prehistory of DNA, the 'clay hypothesis' of abiogenesis is not so popular, as with several other abiogenesis hypotheses. As it was current and fashionable at that time, Richard Dawkins used it as the example model of abiogenesis in his 1986 book The Blind Watchmaker.
Full wiki here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Cairns-Smith
I believe I heard about it in a collection of essays by Gould, but really cant remember. What ever the source, its an interesting idea.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
26-02-2013, 06:02 AM
DNA studies seem to suggest that all life on earth descended from a common ancestor. There are two models, the tree of life and the ring of life. Basically the tree of life says every living thing descended from one lineage. The ring of life says that life arose many times but lineages interacted with each other and shared DNA so that it appears there was only one lineage. Simple organism can exchange DNA just by coming in contact with each other so the ring of life model really isn't all that farfetched.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
27-02-2013, 05:24 PM
That's like asking what is the scientific proof that the continents were once all clustered together into Gondwanaland, KC. The available evidence from evolutionary and genetic pathways points to that conclusion, just like the position of the continents and their current rate and direction of drift point to a conclusion that, at one point in time, they were once together.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
28-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I think scientists have already observed how amino-acids can form spontaneously. In a separate experiment earlier they observed how these amino-acids can form themselves into something like RNA, or building blocks of RNA.

If you don't think it's awesome enough, you can look at experimental observation of biogenesis, originally done by Wilhelm Reich but the video seems a modern repeating of the experiment. The cycle of sterile, inorganic matter -> bions -> protozoans is sure puzzling. The debunking of Reich says it's dried amoebas getting hydrated and coming alive, but the experiment photos show biogenesis from "iron powder or beach sand (or quartz powder), heated red-hot on iron spatula over torch, then plunged into sterile KCl solution". If anything, the heat reputedly makes the vesicle formation faster, because it breaks down the material. Life then forms from vesicles in the solution after a couple of months. It seems to pulsate and glow blue.

I don't know what to think about this. Somebody more competent should address it, somebody who knows the equipment. Whatever the case, the formation of life seems so simple, that God does not need to lift a finger and there are multiple ways it could have happened.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!