Need advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2015, 04:17 PM
RE: Need advice
Aw, so sorry to hear, I know first hand how anxiety feels. If it were me, I'd write out all my points first before either conversation or email. I like to 'see clearly' since anxiety can really muddle things up in my mind.

I might consider doing a brief email with a face to face follow up conversation, that way no one is caught off guard when the face to face happens.

I might 'feel out' the old supervisors sincere interest one more time just to see the legit-ness. I would prelude any conversation of any kind with thanks for the opportunities just to set the tone that it is not bad, just not a fit for you and the previous job was better suited so I wasn't understood incorrectly.

Some ideas off the top of my head while I'm somewhat distracted at my own workplace, ha ha. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
02-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Hug

Seems everyone else has given you very sound advice, so anything I could say would be redundant.

I do know that having to deal with a job or circumstances you hate is the WORST thing to face every day. Please plan something and get out of this bad situation ASAP. We'll be here if you need help to pick up the pieces.

Hug

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
03-09-2015, 04:24 PM
(01-09-2015 11:27 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Add to that I'm having a really hard time at work. I've been in a new position for over a year now, and I'm just not getting it. No matter how hard I try I can't do anything right, and I'm just miserable.

It's the supervisor's responsibility to notice those problems and provide training and well, supervision to increase your aptitude. If you still can't get it, then it's the supervisor's responsibility to find a better fit for you within the organization. At least that's how it works in my organization and what is expected of me as a supervisor. My organization's motto is "People first." and they practice what they preach.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
09-09-2015, 04:08 PM
So I came back from vacation today feeling relaxed and more confident (although not much). I decided I'd reach out to my previous supervisor first as many of you suggested. I kept walking by their office, and they didn't seem to be coming in today. Since this was more of a 'putting out feelers' I decided to send a quick e-mail before I lost my courage.

It was short and sweet, just asking if there was a spot available for me if I wanted to switch back to my old job. I also asked that my question be kept between us until we had a chance to discuss further.

I got a reply several hours later (sweating all the while Undecided ) that there absolutely would be a spot for me, and that we should talk on Monday because they are not in the office the rest of the week.

Part of me is relieved I can go back, the other part of me is even more terrified of now having to let my current supervisor and boss know that I want to make the change. Also I feel like even more of a failure to my current department. One thing at a time! Just have to keep moving forward.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 10 users Like Smercury44's post
09-09-2015, 04:11 PM
(09-09-2015 04:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  So I came back from vacation today feeling relaxed and more confident (although not much). I decided I'd reach out to my previous supervisor first as many of you suggested. I kept walking by their office, and they didn't seem to be coming in today. Since this was more of a 'putting out feelers' I decided to send a quick e-mail before I lost my courage.

It was short and sweet, just asking if there was a spot available for me if I wanted to switch back to my old job. I also asked that my question be kept between us until we had a chance to discuss further.

I got a reply several hours later (sweating all the while Undecided ) that there absolutely would be a spot for me, and that we should talk on Monday because they are not in the office the rest of the week.

Part of me is relieved I can go back, the other part of me is even more terrified of now having to let my current supervisor and boss know that I want to make the change. Also I feel like even more of a failure to my current department. One thing at a time! Just have to keep moving forward.

Very proud of you for making that first step!

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
09-09-2015, 04:17 PM
So glad you are able to go back into a job you feel more comfortable in and enjoy more! Smile

Don't worry about telling your supervisor, I am sure they will understand. People make changes in employment every day. This is nothing they have not experienced before and your old department will adjust just fine (but of course they will miss you--how could they not, you are smercury Tongue )
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-09-2015, 04:38 PM
(09-09-2015 04:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  One thing at a time! Just have to keep moving forward.

This is it, exactly. Just tackle one thing at a time. 9 times out of 10, what will get me all stressed out and frazzled when facing something like this is thinking about the whole damn thing and all the little steps involved and wondering how in the hell I'm going to accomplish all of it.

Breaking it down into one step at a time, only allowing yourself to focus on that one step helps a lot. Tell yourself you are not allowed to fret about the next step (and all the ones after that) until you've taken this one.

So glad you were able to make that first step. Hug

[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
09-09-2015, 05:39 PM
I've got no useful advice to offer, but I wish you all the best.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
09-09-2015, 06:02 PM
(09-09-2015 04:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  So I came back from vacation today feeling relaxed and more confident (although not much). I decided I'd reach out to my previous supervisor first as many of you suggested. I kept walking by their office, and they didn't seem to be coming in today. Since this was more of a 'putting out feelers' I decided to send a quick e-mail before I lost my courage.

Great news! Thumbsup Hug
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-09-2015, 06:05 PM
(09-09-2015 04:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I got a reply several hours later (sweating all the while Undecided ) that there absolutely would be a spot for me, and that we should talk on Monday because they are not in the office the rest of the week.

That right there is worth the email you sent! Good luck.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post