Need advice - need to make money

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Need advice - need to make money
Ok so I have to make more money.
My job pays really well but my city is also really expensive.
With my upcoming medical costs for the transition that will be ongoing, and with other costs I have to cover, I need another source of income in addition to my fulltime job.

So I will probably sign up with Deliveroo and work on the weekend for that. at least a few hours.

But other than that, anybody got some legit ideas to make a bit of extra cash?

For this month, I decided to finally claim some cash back from health insurance and dental as well as some expenses from work.
But I will still be in the red numbers. I mean... my husband is sending me cash over to my account but then again, this month we have our yearly weekend trip. (not even a proper vacation, we literally just go away for a weekend)

So yea dunno.
Anybody has good ideas to make more money. I cannot be too physical because my asthma has gotten really bad.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2017, 10:52 AM
RE: Need advice - need to make money
(08-08-2017 05:16 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Ok so I have to make more money.
My job pays really well but my city is also really expensive.
With my upcoming medical costs for the transition that will be ongoing, and with other costs I have to cover, I need another source of income in addition to my fulltime job.

So I will probably sign up with Deliveroo and work on the weekend for that. at least a few hours.

But other than that, anybody got some legit ideas to make a bit of extra cash?

For this month, I decided to finally claim some cash back from health insurance and dental as well as some expenses from work.
But I will still be in the red numbers. I mean... my husband is sending me cash over to my account but then again, this month we have our yearly weekend trip. (not even a proper vacation, we literally just go away for a weekend)

So yea dunno.
Anybody has good ideas to make more money. I cannot be too physical because my asthma has gotten really bad.

Hard to say without knowing what your skills are. Does it need to be from home? Do you have shifts you're not available, etc.

Are you good at crafts. i.e. could you make little knicknacks and sell them on eBay or Amazon? Good at writing/language/any other academic area? You might be able to tutor online.

Are you in the US? If so, you might consider claiming "exempt" temporarily on your W8 witholding - that way you would have no federal income tax deducted from your paycheck, but could cause you to owe when you file. You could also temporarily reduce or eliminate your contributions to your retirement plan at work. Not a good long term strategy but could help you for 6 months or so to have more working capital.

If you provide a bit more info I could possible come up with some other ideas.
09-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Could you sell subscriptions to your vlog? Or ad space? People are so hooked on reality TV I could see real possibilities of potential there. Something about when a "real" person transitions WITHOUT being a celebrity followed around by cameras 24/7. You are so open and honest about this process I think you could make it work.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
09-08-2017, 12:12 PM
You can get a zillion freelance writing jobs online. Just google and list on a bunch of online services. It's the quickest way to make money I know of - and you do it from home and have deadlines, but no schedule.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-08-2017, 12:43 PM
I've known of many trans people who fund their transition by setting up a gofundme or something like that. I've thought about doing that, myself, but I've not committed to the idea yet.

There are a few procedures that I'd like to be able to consider that right now I just cannot.
09-08-2017, 01:56 PM
@ Stefan Mayerschoff:
I am not in the US no. Also I don't want to clutter my place with stuff I might or might not be able to sell. I am a good writer and translator. But I used to work freelance as translator and writer but it just doesn't pay enough. I mean translating and writing takes time and my usual rates, even though not high, are rarely accepted. Just if I work as that on top of a 40 hour week, I cannot go below my rate that I usually charge.
And shifts not really. I have a time frame from when to when i should work and always make it 8hrs a day. Also working Sundays always because I have Fridays off for it.

@ outtathereligioncloset
Not sure how much sense it makes with one subscriber and 4 videos up. I am not good at advertising / getting the channel out there and seen. So I wouldn't even know to get subscribers / views that make it worthwhile to monetize the channel. Thing is unless I get at least 100k - 200k views a month, monetization won't make much sense for me, especially now with then new way they calculate PLUS how you cannot monetize when you have a filthy mouth, and I usually swear like a sailor so half my videos would probably be blocked from monetization. So the only money through the vlog would probably be with sponsors, and sponsors only start working with someone when a certain following and views and audience participation threshold has been hit. (yea i did my homework on that) But yea that all basically depends on me being able to get the channel out there and I dunno how to do that because I am shy as fuck and don't like shamelessly plastering the channel into every facebook group i see if you know what i mean.

@ Dom:
As I explained with the writing. I am a good writer and like it but the pay is not good for the time and skill I have to invest. Usually anyway. I did this for a year a while back.

@ Emma:
I hope it doesn't sound like some false sense of pride but I really don't want to do a gofundme unless this would be driving me into bankruptcy. I would feel like people give me money because "aw poor rob" and that is not how I want to be seen.

So yea, I think for the moment, if I can make about 200€ a month on top of my salary I should be fine. Then again, I am getting a pay raise in September. But every extra penny will help, especially in saving up to some surgeries (top, hyserectomy,...)

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
09-08-2017, 02:38 PM
I don't blame you, Rob, regarding the gofundme thing. Like I said, I've thought about it, but I've always decided against it for the same reason. Plus, I've always kind of felt that there are so many others out there that need help with transition costs far more than I and I'd feel like I was somehow taking money from their wallets by asking for donations myself. Many trans people have to resort to sex work just to pay the bills, and I have a solid job for the moment, so it would feel extra selfish.

At the same time, I don't judge people I've known who have done the gofundme thing. So idk, if I ever had to, I would probably try it. If it's a choice between begging to be able to get my hormones and not taking hormones... I'd start begging in a heartbeat. Because no hormones would feel like death to me at this point.

There's also the Patreon route- but you'd have to start doing some real homework for your videos to probably attract a crowd. Editing, lighting, a more consistent setup, commentary on issues that trans people are dealing with, etc. Which I could totally see you doing, but like monetization, it takes time to gain a following large enough to make a difference. And of course- it takes that self-advertising that you are uncomfortable doing. :/ Same here, I would personally not feel confident enough to promote myself like that. I had a YouTube channel for a while, and I never bothered to promote it in any way. Plus- I just don't feel like I have the personality that attracts followers. Ugh... enough about my hangups. I do think that you could be successful at vlogging, but it would take a really long time and a lot of effort. I'd cheer you on the whole way, though! Big Grin

I wish I had any other ideas. Do you paint or draw? Can you sell your artwork or something?
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
09-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Aren't you a graphic designer type person? You did some work with GIMP a while back IIRC? Free-lance graphics jobs can be higher paying, or so I've heard?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-08-2017, 03:53 PM
(09-08-2017 12:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  You can get a zillion freelance writing jobs online. Just google and list on a bunch of online services. It's the quickest way to make money I know of - and you do it from home and have deadlines, but no schedule.

I always assume these are mostly going to be scams or time-wasters or tiny tiny income things. Any insight on how to find reputable freelance jobs? Besides I guess just due diligence and research.
09-08-2017, 04:58 PM
@Emma how comforting how a lot of people can see me having success with that channel. But yea. I wouldn't even know how to promote without spending money on it so ... there is that. painting drawing. i was actually thinking about making a few things but I am not great but then again, there is a buyer for everything i guess. dunno.

@morondog I am far from being a graphic designer. I can make some decent wallpapers and shit like that on GIMP yes. But I am not near good enough to take jobs for graphic design.

@jerry mcmasters not always a scam but most of the time, people offering jobs on such platforms don't want to spend money on quality work. So therefore I cannot waste my time to be paid a fragment of what my work is worth if that makes sense.

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post