Need advice on the morality of humans and nature.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 07:49 AM
RE: Need advice on the morality of humans and nature.
We all have finite resources.

[Image: XJlTk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I think my name alone should be sufficient to illustrate my feelings on Humanity and it's presence on this planet Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-05-2013, 02:41 AM
To want to help everyone on the earth is a very childish thought. As nerdy as this is going to sound, there is an anime series called fate/zero where the main character wanted to save everyone. His revelation was that when you save 1 life, you are generally not able to save another as a cost. We treat those around us with love and kindness because they are in our immediate vicinity. I show no emotion for the blight of someone across the ocean, as their life is disconnected from mine, and even if I had empathy for them, it would be for naught, because I lack the power to help them.
[+] 1 user Likes DerekS's post
22-05-2013, 01:42 PM
I t seems to me, pertaining to the philosophy- evolutionary morality debate, that the philosophy side happens after the fact. In other words, it comes from observations. The first guy to question, and formed reasoned answers probably witnessed the action first don't you think? So it appears to me that we would have a morality, or code of conduct first. Whether it was labeled morality or philosophy later or not. I am not stating this as fact, just what makes sense to me.

As far as the OP is concerned, I will echo previous posts. Join a group, do your part, but don't take the whole worlds problems on your shoulders. It would be an unbearable weight. The population explosion is a problem, but what would you do? Tell people to only have one child? Or no children? I'm not saying people shouldn't do those things, but how it would be enforced would be the problem.(morality wise)

As far as eating other animals, I have no problem with it, anymore than a wolf, or lion would. Or chimpanzee. Again, trust your own judgement, if you feel it is wrong, don't do it. Learn to be happy with your contributions, raise awareness ,etc..let it be enough for yourself that you did what you could..after all, We may make ourselves extinct, we may not..if it happens some other species will thrive. Hope this helps...
12-06-2013, 05:40 PM
I suggest (I'm surprised no one has yet) you should look up Sam Harris' Moral Landscape. It starts with some very basic premises and ends up with an objective, atheistic morality, which it seems like you are looking for. If you don't want to get the book, he does several lectures on it online - check YouTube.
19-06-2013, 03:32 PM
(19-08-2012 10:56 AM)MACGRUBER7693 Wrote:  In the past I was pretty confident in my morality.To me being a moral person was simply treating my fellow human beings with love and kindness but now I'm starting to doubt that previous belief. I've started questioning if that really makes sense. Why should I help my fellow human beings yet ignore all the other inhabitants of the earth?
I've come to the realisation that morality is nothing more than an illogical belief system.

Thus I am an amoralist, accepting that moral claims are nonsensical. Even if morality did exist, then what is the motivation to be moral?

I live my life for me, to benefit my own survival and that of the people/animals that I care about.

I never ask myself if something is moral, I simply ask, how does this benefit me.
I feel that it is a very enlightening approach to life, and it means that I am not concerned about the morality of other people. Thus I am extremely tolerant of other people's activities as long as they don't endanger myself or my liberties.