Need advice with nephew that came out as an athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 07:11 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Need advice with nephew that came out as an athiest
Do you have a facebook account and can your nephew see it?

If so, strong messages of "Don't panic; you're not alone" will help.

How about posting info about local groups:

Alabama Atheists
Birmingham Meetup
North Alabama Freethought Association

If your brother has excommunicated you, he probably won't notice you reaching out to your nephew.

I hope.

Or a message about TTA. He doesn't have to post here but you and he can exchange private messages.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
24-08-2016, 08:16 AM
(24-08-2016 07:08 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Do you have a facebook account and can your nephew see it?

If so, strong messages of "Don't panic; you're not alone" will help.

How about posting info about local groups:

Alabama Atheists
Birmingham Meetup
North Alabama Freethought Association

If your brother has excommunicated you, he probably won't notice you reaching out to your nephew.

I hope.

Or a message about TTA. He doesn't have to post here but you and he can exchange private messages.

Thumbsup

Or maybe join a religious website and exchange PMs? It might keep the kid's dad off his back even better. What delicious irony!
[+] 8 users Like Fireball's post
24-08-2016, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 09:57 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-08-2016 06:39 AM)jlparris Wrote:  Just an update. My brother posted something about Japan having a high suicide and tried to assert its because its a secular country. I commented and explaining some of the factors that have led to Japan's suicide not because their secular. Next thing I know his wife posted on facebook she doesnt understand why anyone would be an athiest. I commented on her post just simply asked her how we come to know things.
Next thing I know my brother posted telling his wife they have to stay away from toxic people and they blocked their kids from me. It was the only communication I had with my nephew. Its just so frustrating because I know my nephew has no one to talk to where he lives about his doubts about god.

Take the long view. At 17 they can't really "block" him from you. They can try for a few months. Be the adult here and be someone he can trust and look up to. They are failing him and you aren't. He won't forget it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-08-2016, 08:30 AM
(24-08-2016 08:16 AM)Fireball Wrote:  ...
Or maybe join a religious website and exchange PMs? It might keep the kid's dad off his back even better. What delicious irony!

Genius!

Yes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
24-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Being that he is 17, he will find a way around a Facebook block....Instagram, snapchat, Twitter. Or thru his friends.

when he does, make sure you give him your phone # and address, he needs to put it in his wallet. Because when shit hits the fan, often times phones & computers are confiscated.

do not confront or argue religious topics with them anymore, for your nephews sake, bite your tongue. You need to have that path open to have access to him. Trying to reason with them just makes them dig in their heels and ends up isolating your nephew more.

at this point your nephew is the priority not making a point about religion.

do you have any other family members that might be willing to pass your phone number to your nephew? They might not want family trouble to separate members or think your nephew is treated to harshly by the parents.

Just be willing to take that call in the middle of the night that says 'can you come get me?' So google the nearest hotel, get their number, Google the nearest Amtrack or Greyhound. Download the uber app in case he needs a ride.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I discovered my nephew isnt blocked from my wife's facebook account so I will try to contact him that way. My wife is a christian but she hates that my brother has done this because she knows im a good person and I mean well when I have debates.
[+] 1 user Likes jlparris's post
24-08-2016, 09:25 AM
see if you can find out who his two best friends are. if they cut off your wife, you might be able to reach him thru trusted friends.

usually it's the ones who like and post everything he does.

best to keep it in private messages, if your wife posts publicly on his wall, it will be seen by his parents. As soon as you do that, they will shut down her access too.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
24-08-2016, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 11:42 AM by Iñigo.)
Is your nephew headed for college? If he is, would they blackmail him by withdrawing financial assistance?
24-08-2016, 11:20 AM
As of right now hes not headed to college. His parents have a negative attitude towards education. These people pulled their children out of school to homeschool to shelter them from other ideas that dont agree with. He has peaked an interest in working in gaming. I have game some links to some popular game engines to learn how to make some games.
24-08-2016, 11:50 AM
(24-08-2016 11:20 AM)jlparris Wrote:  As of right now hes not headed to college. His parents have a negative attitude towards education. These people pulled their children out of school to homeschool to shelter them from other ideas that dont agree with.

Oh my, I had no idea just how delusional his parents are. If he does come to you, I think that you will have a very rewarding experience as you see your nephew learn and grow and come into his own. Too bad his parents are so badly infected by the faith virus, that they won't value his personal growth.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post