Need advice with nephew that came out as an athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 12:06 PM
RE: Need advice with nephew that came out as an athiest
(24-08-2016 06:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's truly one fucked up state of affairs, when some asshat puts an invisible friend in higher esteem than their own family.......

And they wonder why people use their buddie's name as a cuss word.....

Shit flows thicker than blood, unfortunately.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Wow...reading this has made me physically ill. I would have suggested having him just play the game until he is old enough to escape...which, despite others' comments here, is actually 19 in Alabama.

But, no offense...they're fanatical lunatics. I ran across cases like this while I was a cop, even worse, that fit EVERY REQUIREMENT for child abuse and/or child endangerment. Yet if the religion in the household was an established one, I could not get the DA to indict. EVER.
Oh sure, if the "church" they belonged to was the "Holy Church of the one winged flies who hop in a circle" then I could lock 'em all up and seize all of their assets. But a prescribed religion? They can get away with almost anything in the name of their faith.

I feel for you, I really do. I can only suggest having him duck and cover for two years, and then run... because my actual recommendation is incredibly illegal.

Grrrrr....
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
28-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Honestly, I can relate so well. I moved countries to make sure it didn't come out that I was an atheist. My mum was actually starting to figure it out, due to me expressing interest in things that can't exactly be considered as christian (dancing etc). I was hiding alcohol around my room, and hiding Dawkins' The God Delusion under my bed. I was so happy to be an atheist, but at the same time I was really scared.
I'm old enough that me coming out as an atheist would affect my financial situation, but I find it hard to deal with the fact that this coming out would mess up my relationship with my family. My grandma could die any day now, and if she did knowing that I was an atheist (which to her would also mean I am a hater of God which I'm not) she would be heartbroken. Even though I love my family, it's terrible to have to fear you would be loved less. I can understand anyone who has to hide, because I myself have had to. The fact that religion really messes up family life like that is to me the most terrible part about it.
[+] 1 user Likes marinesky's post
30-08-2016, 06:17 AM
(28-08-2016 02:09 PM)marinesky Wrote:  Honestly, I can relate so well. I moved countries to make sure it didn't come out that I was an atheist. My mum was actually starting to figure it out, due to me expressing interest in things that can't exactly be considered as christian (dancing etc). I was hiding alcohol around my room, and hiding Dawkins' The God Delusion under my bed. I was so happy to be an atheist, but at the same time I was really scared.
I'm old enough that me coming out as an atheist would affect my financial situation, but I find it hard to deal with the fact that this coming out would mess up my relationship with my family. My grandma could die any day now, and if she did knowing that I was an atheist (which to her would also mean I am a hater of God which I'm not) she would be heartbroken. Even though I love my family, it's terrible to have to fear you would be loved less. I can understand anyone who has to hide, because I myself have had to. The fact that religion really messes up family life like that is to me the most terrible part about it.

Thanks for the response. I can relate to your situation as well. I have lived in Texas most of my life but most of my blood relatives live in Alabama. I have noticed since my coming out as an athiest most of my family has distance themselves from me as if I have some kind of disease. Its fine though I have my own career here in Austin, TX.
31-08-2016, 12:47 PM
have you made any contact with him since this all blew up?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
31-08-2016, 01:50 PM
(30-08-2016 06:17 AM)jlparris Wrote:  
(28-08-2016 02:09 PM)marinesky Wrote:  Honestly, I can relate so well. I moved countries to make sure it didn't come out that I was an atheist. My mum was actually starting to figure it out, due to me expressing interest in things that can't exactly be considered as christian (dancing etc). I was hiding alcohol around my room, and hiding Dawkins' The God Delusion under my bed. I was so happy to be an atheist, but at the same time I was really scared.

Thanks for the response. I can relate to your situation as well. I have lived in Texas most of my life but most of my blood relatives live in Alabama. I have noticed since my coming out as an athiest most of my family has distance themselves from me as if I have some kind of disease. Its fine though I have my own career here in Austin, TX.

I have in-laws in both Texas and Alabama and have been traveling to Alabama for nearly thirty years. No one I interact with there knows and I plan to keep it that way for the sake of my wife.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
10-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Just an update i sent my contact information via my wife's Facebook account i also sent him the link to the TTA forum. So hopefully I will hear from him soon.
10-09-2016, 09:59 PM
(10-09-2016 09:09 PM)jlparris Wrote:  Just an update i sent my contact information via my wife's Facebook account i also sent him the link to the TTA forum. So hopefully I will hear from him soon.

I said it upthread, maybe you didn't see it. If your nephew were to sign up at a religious forum (whatever stripe it is), you could converse via PM absent the "stigma" of it being at an atheist forum.