Need advise on gaming laptop

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2016, 01:44 AM
Need advise on gaming laptop
Hello nerds, I'm buying my boyfriend a gaming laptop as a gift. He is a PC gamer and has a custom build PC at home, but recently he has been doing few overnights at his job and he's been looking at laptops to play while at work Laugh out load. I have no clue on these things, and in my part of the world sales people will screw you over once they find out you're clueless. Someone told me this one was a good laptop for games. I'd like to get 2nd or 3rd opinion before I drop 1400 euros. Thanks in advance.

Asus ROG Strix GL702VM-DB71
Latest-generation NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB Graphics card, Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz Processor (Turbo to 3.5 GHz)
16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB 7200rpm HDD, powerful battery rated 76Whrs, 4 Cell Li-ion battery Pack, illuminated chiclet keyboard
17.3” FHD 1920x1080 g-sync Display with 160-degree viewing angles
Triple-copper thermal module and Triple cooling fans for increases CPU and GPU performance
1x HDMI 2.0 port, 1x Mini DisplayPort, 802.11ac Wi-Fi 2x2, Bluetooth 4.1, 1x USB 3.B-type c(gen 2), 1x Headphone-out and Audio combo jack, 1x RJ45 LAN jack

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2016, 03:24 AM
RE: Need advise on gaming laptop
The specs mark this as a "middle-of-the-road" gaming laptop. The battery is a bit light on for serious gaming too—if you intend to play for maybe more than an hour(?) or so. If it's run off mains power though, its gaming performance will probably improve (speed and responsiveness) as the frequency of the GPU increases. I don't know whether or not this configuration will support VR games though.

Hopefully someone here will own one, and have hands-on experience.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
29-12-2016, 03:56 AM
There are a few better options in that general price range depending on your budget. What is the maximum that you're willing to spend?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
29-12-2016, 04:42 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2016 05:26 AM by EvolutionKills.)
The GTX1060 is a good pick, as the nVidia 10 series does away with separate desktop and mobile GPU's. So that GTX1060 is a desktop GTX1060, uses the same drivers, gets the same support, and is compatible with the same games. That being said, that GTX1060 puts out the same performance as the previous generation's top-dog, the GTX980. Intel i7 is always overkill, unless you're into content creation. If it's possible to get a i5 with an identical clock speed and the same number of cores at a cheaper price, it's probably money well saved. 16GB of RAM is good, as is the 1TB hard drive; those are the minimum I'd want if I were parting out a gaming laptop.

Still, it's from ASUS, so it should be solid. Their ROG is the dedicated gamer series, so it's geared for enthusiasts. The monitor is a nice standard resolution, and the inclusion of G-Sync is a nice touch (that usually adds a few hundred bucks to a stand alone desktop monitor). If it was a desktop, it would be a very solid gaming machine. That it's all wrapped up into a laptop is pretty impressive. 1400 euros is a bit pricey for my tastes, but I prefer to build my own desktops. For what it is, and what he'd probably enjoy, it's a pretty solid package. But admittedly I haven't priced out a laptop recently, so I can't really judge if you're paying too much for what you are getting. I could certainly put all of that into a desktop tower for a lot less, but that's not a great measure for comparing it to other laptops.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
29-12-2016, 06:19 AM
Why don't you ask your bf to pick out one that he likes - give him an idea of how much you're willing to contribute and then he can decide? If he picks something expensive then he can put in some of his own money to top up your gift and get it done to his satisfaction? That way you avoid getting screwed over by salespeople and he gets exactly what he wants...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-12-2016, 06:36 AM
(29-12-2016 06:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why don't you ask your bf to pick out one that he likes - give him an idea of how much you're willing to contribute and then he can decide? If he picks something expensive then he can put in some of his own money to top up your gift and get it done to his satisfaction? That way you avoid getting screwed over by salespeople and he gets exactly what he wants...

Kills the surprise, but especially if it looks like he'll get a lot of use out of it as a daily driver, that's a stellar idea.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
29-12-2016, 06:55 AM
I honestly won't worry too much about this computer. It says that it has good cooling, which is better than what most laptops can offer. The key to a "gaming" laptop is to acknowledge that it can't run the biggest latest games at max performance or resolution. Unlike desktops, you can't replace parts on laptops without a massive expensive hassle. Limiting performance will extend the living time of the machine.

In other words, get a copy of the first Deus Ex on Steam for your significant other. It takes nothing to run and is still one of the best games ever made. If you don't, well...

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
29-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Before anything, you should find out what games he is playing to see what he actually needs. I mean there is a difference between Runescape and CS:GO if you know what I mean.
Generally speaking, as I have gone through a few gaming laptops, don't trust the shop clerk. They sound smart but often don't actually have a clue. So go in prepared and ask very specific questions if you need to ask.

I am not going into numbers and stats of graphic cards and such things. There is enough about that said here already. I will more go into the practicality.

Things to make sure about the laptop:
* The connection to the screen to be sturdy. If the laptop is open and the connection feels flimsy, don't buy it. Because that connection is most of the time the first to go as you open and close and move it all the time.
* Battery and charger. If you buy extras, do not buy no-brand for a branded laptop even if it says the same voltage etc. It is still not the same.
* No small screens. The smaller the laptop the more difficult to play on it. In most games you needs to see a lot of detail. Screensize I would recommend something like this: 14" or 15" but not less than 13".
* Also look at the keyboard and touch it. Gamers need a bit of resistance on the keys and need the keys to be distinguishable. Some laptops have the keys in a way that it is very easy to press the wrong button or multiple at ones. To make sure the keyboard is ok, best is to close your eyes and feel around and judge how easy it is to press the wrong button.
* And the fan (fans) need to be able to take the strain of video gaming or the laptop will run hot. If you cannot find that, you can get a laptop cooler or external fan to place the laptop on.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
29-12-2016, 10:22 AM
(29-12-2016 06:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 06:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why don't you ask your bf to pick out one that he likes - give him an idea of how much you're willing to contribute and then he can decide? If he picks something expensive then he can put in some of his own money to top up your gift and get it done to his satisfaction? That way you avoid getting screwed over by salespeople and he gets exactly what he wants...

Kills the surprise, but especially if it looks like he'll get a lot of use out of it as a daily driver, that's a stellar idea.

See thing is, buying something like this is a lot of money. So you wanna make sure you do get the right thing. I'd say worth spoiling the surprise. I'd sure as fuck be surprised if my significant other wanted to spend that kinda money on me anyway Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-12-2016, 12:53 PM
I have to echo EK. Unless you are doing content creation, video editing imparticular, or something along those lines the i7 is just not needed. It's money you can spend elsewhere to greater effect.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post