Need an accountability buddy...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Need an accountability buddy...
I have got to start working out, y'all. Like, yesterday. Thus far I have somehow managed to defy all logic and stay skinny, but with 30 looming on the horizon I just can't believe that it will last.

Problem is, though I am normally a self-motivated individual, exercise always takes a backseat to other, more exciting stuff. Like writing or reading - both sedentary activities and I sit in an office all day besides! There's a park just blocks away from my house and it's got a walking track and basketball goals and all kinds of stuff. I've even got a shelf full of P90X DVDs that I could pop into the TV or laptop anytime I want, but I usually don't take advantage of either of those.

So I need someone to give me a kick in the ass. Just something like "Hey, did you get off your lazy ass and work out today or what?" Any volunteers?

I also need to change my diet, for sure - I am extremely picky and not in a good way - but I've found that if I exercise I tend to eat better as a result, so right now my focus is on exercising and then slowly working my way to better eating habits.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2013, 12:26 PM
RE: Need an accountability buddy...
You might want to check into Beachbody.com, home of workouts like P90X and Insanity. In addition to their DVD exercise programs, they sell supplements and have message boards where you can join a challenge group and get a coach (quality varies, of course). I did about a year's worth of their exercise programs and found them to be helpful (not to mention butt-kicking).
06-09-2013, 01:31 PM
(06-09-2013 12:26 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  You might want to check into Beachbody.com, home of workouts like P90X and Insanity. In addition to their DVD exercise programs, they sell supplements and have message boards where you can join a challenge group and get a coach (quality varies, of course). I did about a year's worth of their exercise programs and found them to be helpful (not to mention butt-kicking).

Thanks! I'll check it out.

06-09-2013, 02:36 PM
I'd suggest using someone in real life that can access you to hound you into proper discipline. Big Grin My sister and I are accountability buddies, we started training 8 or so months ago and we've seen some awesome results, but it has been a daily struggle and accomplishment. I was much like you, too... just felt I needed that little bit more, I am 31 yrs/o. Some other things to do are journalling or blogging (I don't, but I know some fitness junkies who do and it really works for them), joining fitness forums, report back here, watch motivational vids (there are a lot of awesome ones on youtube, they really illustrate how far one can push one's self!), if you're on FB there are some good groups that have encouraging quotes/tips on your news feed (doyoueven and sportsmotivation and some clean eating ones are my favourites). It's as much a mental game as a physical one.

Personally I think a fit lifestyle is so much more than staying trim, it can positively influences your moods, energy, confidence, memory and wellbeing. I used to get massive migraines and foggy head and now, through exercise and diet change, I have pretty well zero headaches anymore and a clearer overall feeling. I'm not picky about food though, I'll eat almost anything... some things were, however, an acquired taste.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
06-09-2013, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 05:30 PM by Luminon.)
You know how to be good and consistent at exercise, without an accountability buddy? This is a good and tried advice, from someone who hates exercise, sucks at it, yet managed to keep going.

1) Get some mp3 player and earbud headphones. If you have one, good.

2) Get some trippy, pumping music. Psychedelic, progressive or goa trance works for me, so I can recommend, but whatever keeps you going. I think a regular 4/4 trance beat is the best.

3) Get something to read. You like to read, huh? So get books, best some sci-fi series, I can recommend. Using an e-reader is advised. Nook Glow is the best one - you can change the OS to an Android (makes it a super-efficient tablet) and make it read any format. If you have a reader, good.

4) Now, shit's going to get serious. You need to buy an exercising machine. Exercise without machine is likely going to be so painful that you won't do it much, or so dangerous that you'll pull your muscle or something. Running will probably fuck up your knee joints and leave your arms neglected. And arms are the most useful things to keep the house from breaking apart.
So put in some buck and buy an elliptical cross trainer or whatever the fuck it's called. It looks lame as hell, but it makes you do something both with your legs and arms and the belly is going to fix itself if you persist.
It needs to be fairly heavy-duty and it needs to have a book holder. If it doesn't have a book holder, get a type which has two smaller holding bars in front of a display, you can put a bar there and put an e-reader on it. Worked for me.

If you're embarrassed, or think that cross trainer is a device for women and old ladies, in the 8th series of the Dexter serial, Dexter, the serial murderer who primarily goes after murderers like him went to the gym store. He was checking out precisely this type of machine, a cross trainer, heavy-duty, with a book holder. It was sold by a guy who was secretly a killer and a cannibal, Dexter was there to check him out and then kill him. So this cross-trainer device can't be that lame, if even serial killers aren't ashamed of it.

5) Now the important test that will decide everything: do you have a room in your living place where nobody is going to bother you? Which you can lock, yet which you can ventilate fairly well? A cold room is good, the colder, the better. This is going to be your room of shame, pain, sweat, tears and self-punishment.

6) Finally, go listen to some groovy music, go read a fascinating book, go where nobody can see you, set your mind free and leave behind your biological body torture itself as Mother Evolution intended. Don't return until the album ends or until there's the ending chillout track, customary on goa trance albums.

This is how I managed to exercise 1 hour per day for 2 months, at the highest difficulty setting and wasn't too traumatized. The digital dial on the machine always showed about 10 km of running distance or so, when I was finished, not too bad even considering it includes the arms work too. I'd keep at it, if I didn't have to move to the college.

At high school I got D from the gym class and my gym teacher begged my mom to get me a doctor's leave, because I ruined her class score. So this means something. If it worked for me, it will work for everyone. I know it's very demanding, but desperate ends need desperate means.
06-09-2013, 09:07 PM
I'll try to help out in my way if you like.

A big mistake I see often is people saying they are picky and resigning themselves to a boring, and often unhealthy diet. Just doesn't gotta be that way. You tell me what you DO like, and let's see if we can come up with some other ideas for a varied and healthy diet.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
07-09-2013, 12:50 AM
I know it's early in the morning here, but when you come back to this thread, I want you to see that one of us asked you this question, "Did you exercise yesterday and what time do you plan on getting out to exercise again today?"

Today is your day to get started. So start.

Wishing you great success.
07-09-2013, 05:32 AM
Consider

Having an affair seems to be a good motivator.

My ex-wife always looked irresistible when she was screwing someone else.

Rolleyes

07-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Thanks to having to have a Physical Education credit to graduate I will be heading to class soon for a Walking and Fitness class. IPod is ready, headphones ready, working on getting my mind ready.

I hope I like it cause I really need to get some exercise, this is the motivation I needed to get started. Maybe after 3-4 months of this it will become a habit.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
07-09-2013, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 09:36 AM by GirlyMan.)
Why exercise when you can romancercise?

Or just prancercise if you're not in a romantic mood.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post