Need debate advice..
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Need debate advice..
I have been posed with this current problem.

I feel religion is poison to the world and with out religion we would have a better society with people using logic and science etc... I don't think I need to explain this to you guys.

The rebuttal to this has been about the atheist states such as stalin, mussulini, north korea.

How do I respond to that?
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2011, 07:20 PM
RE: Need debate advice..
That Stalin, Mussolini, and North Korea are not motivated by atheism. They enforce atheism because they don't want to share power with a church. They don't kill people based on their atheism.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2011, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2011 07:42 PM by nontheocrat.)
For one thing, atheism is just an absence of belief in god, it is not a philosophy or system of government; nothing can be built off of it alone. If we could wave a magic wand and eliminate all religion tomorrow a lot of problems and headaches would disappear; however, there would still be problems. There are people who are tyrants and assholes both in religion and out of it.

What makes totalitarian states evil is not atheism, it's that they are based on corrupt philosophies of Totalitarian Fascism and Communism.

In addition to atheism, each atheist must in decide what they do believe in, what their own life philosophy will be based on in the absence of a god. I believe you are proposing is a philosophy similar to Secular Humanism based on reason, not an atheistic Fascism or Communism. None of these dictatorships respected human rights or freedoms, so they have nothing to do with what we are trying to build.

Good luck!

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-05-2011, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2011 07:57 PM by Efrx86.)
First of all, Mussolini was a Catholic, and he worked very closely with the Catholic church. He even made it the official religion in Italy, AND gave the church (which was landless after Italy was unified in 1870) a small section of the city of Rome, which became the Vatican. Sure, they had their quarrels but nowhere does it say that he was an atheist. Hitler was a religious man too, though some may argue that he and Mussolini were only using the Catholic church and weren't religious in the first place. Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, Kim, etc. got a lot of people killed too. But those killings were never motivated by a lack of belief in an invisible almighty sky daddy.

If anything, Fascism, Nazism and Communism killed a lot of people because their leaders treated their political ideologies like religion.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: Screw Pascal's wager.
Find all posts by this user