Need help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 02:45 AM
Need help
Im from Sweden and i have a cousin who is a member of the jehova witnesses. We are debating over email and he keeps denying evolution and thinks that i should really look at the bible as it predicts events and gives correct science explanations to how earth was created. What do I say that can make him reflect on his own belief and wether it is true or not? He studies the bible alot, historical events and so on. Very passionate about the bible. Anyone with knowledge about jehova?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2016, 06:24 AM
RE: Need help
(12-02-2016 02:45 AM)Indoifk Wrote:  Im from Sweden and i have a cousin who is a member of the jehova witnesses. We are debating over email and he keeps denying evolution and thinks that i should really look at the bible as it predicts events and gives correct science explanations to how earth was created. What do I say that can make him reflect on his own belief and wether it is true or not? He studies the bible alot, historical events and so on. Very passionate about the bible. Anyone with knowledge about jehova?

Tell him a man with magic glasses that can read the secret tablets that he dug up from the ground, and then reburied (when nobody was watching) isn't quite up to the standards of peer review that you'd like to see in a scientific examination of theories.

(the glasses and tablet things is the actual basis of the JW whackadoodle belief)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-02-2016, 06:27 AM
If he take biblical drivel seriously than you can't do anything to help him. There is no disscusion with fundies.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-02-2016, 06:28 AM
Talk origins is always good.

Or simply Google Evolution sites.

The information is all around the internet.

If the babble were of any use at all it would at least contain the recipe for disinfectant. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
12-02-2016, 10:04 AM
(12-02-2016 06:24 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Tell him a man with magic glasses that can read the secret tablets that he dug up from the ground, and then reburied (when nobody was watching) isn't quite up to the standards of peer review that you'd like to see in a scientific examination of theories.

(the glasses and tablet things is the actual basis of the JW whackadoodle belief)

You're confusing Jehovah's Witnesses with Mormonism. Joseph Smith was the one who found the gold tablets and claimed to have special glasses that enabled him to translate them.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 12:45 PM
If he is a fundie, it is going to be like talking to wall about evolution. I seriously doubt you will get anywhere with him. However, JWs are strange enough, that you can more easily go after their beliefs. Ask him how many times have the JWs wrongly predicted the end of the world. Tell him he is in a cult and that he needs to get out before he needs a blood transfusion and needlessly dies. And yes, he is in a cult because if he leaves or has a blood transfusion or does something they don't like, he will be reported by his peers and disfellowshiped.
12-02-2016, 12:59 PM
(12-02-2016 02:45 AM)Indoifk Wrote:  Im from Sweden and i have a cousin who is a member of the jehova witnesses. We are debating over email and he keeps denying evolution and thinks that i should really look at the bible as it predicts events and gives correct science explanations to how earth was created. What do I say that can make him reflect on his own belief and wether it is true or not? He studies the bible alot, historical events and so on. Very passionate about the bible. Anyone with knowledge about jehova?

Unfortunately there is no "one way" to brake a person out of their belief. For those in faith it a person realization/journey to escape. The best way to get threw his walls is to ask questions. Being abrasive will not help and will only make him go on the defense.

Jehova Witness have their own set of beliefs. One that really pushes that when the end of days comes they are going to be in charge.

As I said ask lots of questions. I will let him think you are interested. but you need to ask enough question that his own admission will collapse in on itself.

Asking him what he had done to rule out all the other religions and gods. Ask him what his definition of god is, and when it contradictions other what is his train of thought. Find out information/history about the belief he ad hears to. Learn more about the religion then he dose and when he contradicts it bring it up. Or if someone in the his church controdicts it ask him why that person gets a slide.

Feed him enough rope to hang himself. Don't jump on the contradictions right away. But keep them in your back pocket.

For a person that doesn't understand evolution. Is hard especially when they put their fingers in the ears. You would have to ask him what his alternative explanation would be. Mostly likely his is "magic".

And just go for there ask him for a demonstration of him explanation (he'll have none but his holy book) Ask him for further. Then ask him what it would take for him to accept evolution. And work from there.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
12-02-2016, 01:51 PM
I like to point out to JW's that their proscription of blood transfusions is a bizarre interpretation of one obscure verse
in a list of bizarre arbitrary dietary laws that no one should be any serious attention to.

And it kills the people they claim to love. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Is he a biblical inerrantist? Because if so there's not much you can do. Those are people who define truth as whatever the bible says. Reality doesn't matter, the bible is infallible.

Why does he think the bible is infallible? How does he know the bible prophesies came true? How about the ones that didn't? How does he reconcile the contradiction? (How did judas die?) How many people were present at the opening of the tomb?
13-02-2016, 09:59 AM

A sober presentation of the facts. That's all you can do. You can't force him to think, but you might start what I call a brushfire of reason in his mind.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick