Need help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 12:07 PM
RE: Need help
Tell him that you're too old to play make believe. You have bills to pay and mouths to feed.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2016, 06:21 PM
(12-02-2016 02:45 AM)Indoifk Wrote:  Im from Sweden and i have a cousin who is a member of the jehova witnesses. We are debating over email and he keeps denying evolution and thinks that i should really look at the bible as it predicts events and gives correct science explanations to how earth was created. What do I say that can make him reflect on his own belief and wether it is true or not? He studies the bible alot, historical events and so on. Very passionate about the bible. Anyone with knowledge about jehova?

Compare Genesis 1 and Genesis 2. Genesis 1, god created animals on the 5th day, 6th day and then man. Genesis 2, God creates man, and then animals, then woman.

Why does God lie to Adam that on the day he eats of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he will die. Adam lives on hundreds of years. Why does God want Adam and Eve to be ignorant of good and evil? Why does God not want Adam and Eve to eat of the tree of life and live forever (Genesis 3) Its a myth and a stupid one at that.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
08-03-2016, 06:33 PM
(12-02-2016 06:28 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Talk origins is always good.

Or simply Google Evolution sites.

The information is all around the internet.

If the babble were of any use at all it would at least contain the recipe for disinfectant. Smile

I agree whenever I run into someone who clearly doesn't understand evolution I send them this link:
Evolution Facts

It's from Talk Origins and they usually don't even click it but if they do they will see so many links for more information that probably makes them think "Woah, this is a lot more than the first few paragraphs of Genesis."

I also usually ask them if we all descend from Adam and Eve, how do we have so many different races? The facts are we would look very much the same if we all descended from one couple who lived 6,000-10,000 years ago. We look different because of adaptation, natural selection, gradual change and the other laws of evolution.

The men who wrote the Bible didn't know about the fossil record, DNA, chromosomes, and genetic heredity. The Bible isn't a science book, it's a religious spiritual text about a man in the sky, it has nothing to do with the natural world. Science is the study of the natural world and it only deals in facts and evidence. If you can just explain to your cousin that all theories have to be backed up by empirical evidence and peer review then maybe we will see it's at least as plausible as creationism, and hopefully it will open the door to more understanding.
08-03-2016, 06:42 PM
(08-03-2016 06:21 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 02:45 AM)Indoifk Wrote:  Im from Sweden and i have a cousin who is a member of the jehova witnesses. We are debating over email and he keeps denying evolution and thinks that i should really look at the bible as it predicts events and gives correct science explanations to how earth was created. What do I say that can make him reflect on his own belief and wether it is true or not? He studies the bible alot, historical events and so on. Very passionate about the bible. Anyone with knowledge about jehova?

Compare Genesis 1 and Genesis 2. Genesis 1, god created animals on the 5th day, 6th day and then man. Genesis 2, God creates man, and then animals, then woman.

Why does God lie to Adam that on the day he eats of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he will die. Adam lives on hundreds of years. Why does God want Adam and Eve to be ignorant of good and evil? Why does God not want Adam and Eve to eat of the tree of life and live forever (Genesis 3) Its a myth and a stupid one at that.

These are all great questions most believers have bad answers for. The bigger question I always ask is: Why did God create the universe? The answer I almost always get is something along the lines of "For his glory!" Ok so he created an entire universe full of stars, planets, galaxies, etc. so that he could populate one planet with sentient, emotional, intelligent, self-aware beings to worship him and follow his "rules" so they can live forever in a paradise? He sounds like a lonely kid who just wants to be loved and he needs more people to hang out with...but he's got his standards. If we don't play ball we suffer forever, just like a rejected boy he can't deal with anyone who doesn't like him.

If I was writing a book and the first sentence was "A powerful being decides one day to create a universe." You better believe any good literary critic will find fault in my entire story if I didn't include why the being created the universe to begin with. It could be he was bored, just wanted to see if he could create a universe, just wanted to be worshiped, etc. I figure he must've been bored and was like "There sure is nothing fun to do, maybe I"ll create living beings to fuck with for all eternity."
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
08-03-2016, 06:52 PM
Quote:What do I say that can make him reflect on his own belief and wether it is true or not?

Probably nothing because he sounds like a fucking asshole. That, btw, is his problem. Not yours.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
08-03-2016, 09:24 PM
"What was God doing before he created the earth?"
St. Augustine - "Creating hell for those who ask too many questions."

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
08-03-2016, 09:55 PM
Genesis 2
18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
19 And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

God: Well are yo sure you don't like the platypus?
Adam: No.
God: Hyuk! Hyuk! Hyuk! How about the Tyranosaurus Rex? Maybe the skunk?
Adam: Get real.
God: Hyuk! Hyuk! I take you didn't like the Titanotherium? Or maybe the Giant Pterodactyl?
Adam: No. None of these are useful to me.

Why does the Bible in Genesis 2 paint God as a goofy, idiotic goofball? Even those Xians who take this as some sort of allegory rather than actual history, try to paint this tall tale as some sort of sublime tale with great meaning. No, it ain't sublime. Its goofy as hell.

Cheerful Charlie