Need help - Can any genetic biologist explain this to me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Need help - Can any genetic biologist explain this to me?
Revising for exams and there is some content I dont really understand and I dont see much clear definition on the web too,

What exactly is a hyperaccurate mutant? and in contrast what is hyperaccuracy and hypermutability?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2012, 07:44 AM
RE: Need help - Can any genetic biologist explain this to me?
Gotta be something to do with X-men

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2012, 09:04 AM
I did a Google search and the results obtained mostly talk about hyperaccurate ribosomes. Hyperaccuracy most likely means that the rate of error due to translation and transcription are much lower. Hypermutability refers to a higher than usual chance of mutation.

Is this for high school science or university science? Sorry I can't help much Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
13-05-2012, 09:42 AM
(13-05-2012 07:14 AM)BlahBlokesBraBroke Wrote:  Revising for exams and there is some content I dont really understand and I dont see much clear definition on the web too,

What exactly is a hyperaccurate mutant? and in contrast what is hyperaccuracy and hypermutability?

Just looking at the words, I would say a hyperaccurate mutant might be something that mutates or changes with above the normal degree of accuracy or efficiency. ?

in contrast, I think that hypermutability might be something that is more able to mutate or change very quickly or easily - albeit with possibly a lesser degree of efficiently. ?

Again - all of that would be just a guess by off handedly looking mostly at the words hyper, accuracy, and mutant/ mutability. I have no idea in what context it might be used.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but don't panic - Bucky Ball and BeardedDude are probably around here somewhere... most anyone around here has a big, fat brain - mine is teeny tiny and clogged up with too much crap. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-05-2012, 05:36 AM
(13-05-2012 09:04 AM)robotworld Wrote:  I did a Google search and the results obtained mostly talk about hyperaccurate ribosomes. Hyperaccuracy most likely means that the rate of error due to translation and transcription are much lower. Hypermutability refers to a higher than usual chance of mutation.

Is this for high school science or university science? Sorry I can't help much Smile
LOL, this is for middle school, im only 15.
14-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Middle school?? Holy crap, we only did detailed human anatomy, and touched on microbiology a bit. Oh just to confirm, are the terms "hyperaccuracy" and "hypermutability" within context of genetics, or more specifically, gene expression?

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
14-05-2012, 07:40 AM
middle school? are you asian or something? Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
14-05-2012, 07:46 AM
You have exams in middle school?

What kind of pointless competitive school is this?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post