Need help - Religion and Crime

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2013, 02:54 AM
Need help - Religion and Crime
I recently posted something on Facebook about Religion and its relation to many bad things, and of course some Theist has come in and gone crazy. After showing him wrong on every subject, he is holding on to links between religion and crime. My claim (or rather the claim to the article I posted) is that the more religious your state/country, the higher the crime rate. This is of course not across the board, but I am pretty sure there are trends that can be shown and links that can be made. Can anyone help me out with links to religion and crime, preferably studies and empirical evidence? Thanks everyone!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 03:11 AM
RE: Need help - Religion and Crime
http://www.lmgtfy.com

Should start you off Wink
11-07-2013, 05:03 AM
I actually think that Google is a scary thing to do here, I'm guessing that's how you got into this mess in a first place, sticks as several of the returns from a "religion crime statistics" search look very poorly researched.

Unfortunately you've written a statiscal checque that you cannot cash.

Crime is a very tough thing to accurately identify a root cause, becuase there are numerous sociological influences of which religion is just one. This is not a line of enquiry that you're likely to win. You're more likely to get mired in challenges about your data & sources.

Let's use nationmaster.com as our source (which in turn is sourced by UN data which is as reliable as we're going to get.)

You do not state which crimes you wish to research. For the purpose of the below - we shall use thier "all crimes" statistics which are based on a report from 2002. This does not offset by population - so we need to do that (I've calculated for crimes per 100k of population). We also need religion demographics which we'll get from Wikipeida's handy census info and also this one for the US, which gives a (rather low) figure of 79% religious. Finally we'll pull all of that together in a table and a graph....you're not going to like the results:

[Image: 2r4lmvp.jpg]

[Image: 2dqptv5.jpg]

I've ignored race/gender/salary/education etc etc and also legality...there are far more crimes to commit in the US than there are in India and a far more effective and well-funded police/justice system. Italy has less crime and more religion that the US, so does Russia. Conversely Japan has very little crime and low religion...so the dataset is far from compelling. I've also not separated religion by type - e.g Christian/Muslim/"I believe there is a life force", just religious vs not.

You are better off looking at 'hate' crime, terrorism and sectarian violence, as these crimes are more likely religiously motivated. I've shown you how, so off you go, and please share your findings Smile

S

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
11-07-2013, 05:09 AM
(11-07-2013 05:03 AM)Shannow Wrote:  I actually think that Google is a scary thing to do here, I'm guessing that's how you got into this mess in a first place, sticks as several of the returns from a "religion crime statistics" search look very poorly researched.

Unfortunately you've written a statiscal checque that you cannot cash.

Crime is a very tough thing to accurately identify a root cause, becuase there are numerous sociological influences of which religion is just one. This is not a line of enquiry that you're likely to win. You're more likely to get mired in challenges about your data & sources.

Let's use nationmaster.com as our source (which in turn is sourced by UN data which is as reliable as we're going to get.)

You do not state which crimes you wish to research. For the purpose of the below - we shall use thier "all crimes" statistics which are based on a report from 2002. This does not offset by population - so we need to do that (I've calculated for crimes per 100k of population). We also need religion demographics which we'll get from Wikipeida's handy census info and also this one for the US, which gives a (rather low) figure of 79% religious. Finally we'll pull all of that together in a table and a graph....you're not going to like the results:

[Image: 2r4lmvp.jpg]

[Image: 2dqptv5.jpg]

I've ignored race/gender/salary/education etc etc and also legality...there are far more crimes to commit in the US than there are in India and a far more effective and well-funded police/justice system. Italy has less crime and more religion that the US, so does Russia. Conversely Japan has very little crime and low religion...so the dataset is far from compelling. I've also not separated religion by type - e.g Christian/Muslim/"I believe there is a life force", just religious vs not.

You are better off looking at 'hate' crime, terrorism and sectarian violence, as these crimes are more likely religiously motivated. I've shown you how, so off you go, and please share your findings Smile

S

I'd drop India as an outlier since it's numbers are so far outside the norm that it is probably just bad data, under reporting of actual crime and general number padding the rest of your chart however shows there is no correlation good or bad between religion and crime, which is probably the safer stance.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense