Need help being pointed in the right direction.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 05:58 AM
RE: Need help being pointed in the right direction.
(15-07-2015 05:10 AM)DopamineandAdrenaline Wrote:  Please someone just disprove some form of spirituality, please help me.

The burden of proof is on the people making the claims. It isn't up to you to disprove them, it is up to them to prove that any of their claims has any basis in reality. If they are on to something real then it should be repeatable and testable. If not then there is no reason to think that they know what they are talking about.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
15-07-2015, 06:19 AM
Angels and demons are not real. This concept comes out of the Bible. Demons in the Bible are said to be the cause of disease. There are some pretty outlandish stories in the Bible about angels as well-- including one story of an angel flying about with a hot coal and then placing it on someone's lips as a way to take away their guilt and sin. These stories of Angels and demons have since morphed into various stories within our culture as people add to folklore by coming up with stories of their own. That is how myth and legend works. Everyone adds something to it. If you look up urban legends of any sort, you can see how easily it is for this to happen as more people spread stories and change the dynamic of such stories by adding their own interpretations to them.

Obviously we now know that demons are not the cause of disease and i think we can safely say that there are no human hybrids flying around with hot coals in order to absolve people of their evil doings to others. Smile
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
15-07-2015, 06:57 AM
DopamineandAdrenaline, I can relate. I grew up in churches that were big on seeing angels and demons. I even heard stories and "testimonies" about people using black magic. As a kid and a teenager, I was terrified of seeing a demon. Actually, I was terrified of seeing angels too...and even god! The unknown of the "spiritual realm" terrified me.

I don't know if I can say anything that can bring you complete reassurance, except to tell you that everything will be ok. Personally, doubting was very exhausting and terrifying at first, but now I am very comfortable with not knowing everything. Doubting used to give me panicky feeling, and now it ain't nothing but a thing.

When I was beginning to have major doubts about religion and spirituality, my fears lingered within me for a while. The way I comforted myself was learning about the brain. Our brains are truly remarkable. People often see what they want to see. I learned about the science behind NDE, which really helped me. Learning is what helped me get rid of my fears.

Just take a deep breath, keep learning, and give it time! Thumbsup

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 4 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
15-07-2015, 07:03 AM
(15-07-2015 06:57 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  DopamineandAdrenaline, I can relate. I grew up in churches that were big on seeing angels and demons. I even heard stories and "testimonies" about people using black magic. As a kid and a teenager, I was terrified of seeing a demon. Actually, I was terrified of seeing angels too...and even god! The unknown of the "spiritual realm" terrified me.

I don't know if I can say anything that can bring you complete reassurance, except to tell you that everything will be ok. Personally, doubting was very exhausting and terrifying at first, but now I am very comfortable with not knowing everything. Doubting used to give me panicky feeling, and now it ain't nothing but a thing.

When I was beginning to have major doubts about religion and spirituality, my fears lingered within me for a while. The way I comforted myself was learning about the brain. Our brains are truly remarkable. People often see what they want to see. I learned about the science behind NDE, which really helped me. Learning is what helped me get rid of my fears.

Just take a deep breath, keep learning, and give it time! Thumbsup

Great points. Michael Shermer wrote two books that are really worth a read-Why People Believe Weird Things and The Believing Brain.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
15-07-2015, 07:47 AM
We obviously do not believe in demons or angels or gods and are quite secure in our beliefs which is a great place to be. They are real to some (most) people. I must have been around eight years old when my sister told me that her friends had told her that if you stare at mirror long enough, you will see the devil. That scared the fuck out of me as a kid every time I looked in the mirror (the power of suggestion is very powerful), but guess what? I never saw the devil.
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post
17-07-2015, 05:04 AM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2015 05:08 AM by Philanthropic Misanthrope.)
I have problems not feeling like spirits are around me. What helps though is reminding myself that I shouldn't devote my life to an existence I know nothing about. I have been on so many pagan/spiritual websites as well as spoken to friends who claimed they see spirits. Nobody can agree on what's actually happening or how the "spiritual" world works. The inconsistencies I've found in the spiritual/paranormal communities are just as many as found in conventional religious communities. No two people in even the same branch of a religion can agree 100% on how things work. I've concluded that everyone's belief system is just part of their imagination that is shaped by their personality.

I also agree that the more you study the human brain, the more far-fetched belief in general starts to sound.

In short, one thing that is certain is that no spirits, gods, angels, or demons can hurt or influence us. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Philanthropic Misanthrope's post
17-07-2015, 11:02 AM
I always loved Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan's book The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-07-2015, 11:08 AM
(17-07-2015 11:02 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I always loved Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan's book The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

I'll second that. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user