• 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
RE: Need help cooling my laptop
This sounds exactly like a job for Technology by Filox. Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
10-01-2012, 05:47 PM
(10-01-2012 02:31 AM)Leela Wrote:  Does it sound different than when you bought it?
Might just be the van. Try to vacuum and/or clean it with spray air in that case.

Leela is exactly right about using compressed air to blow out the laptop. If you have had this laptop a while dust builds up on the fan blades and other components. Especially capacitors and Joule thief areas of the boards. Make sure your laptop is on a flat hard surface and not sitting on something like a bed (my wife loves to overheat hers doing this).

You could also invest in a laptop cooler pad. These open a small gap under the laptop to allow for better airflow. Most laptop coolers have fans that are powered via USB ports.

I use compressed air on my laptops probably monthly since I've been broke and money is an issue at the moment but I would suggest at the very least, weekly, depending on your location.

If nothing explained here helps your situation then you could have a bad component and I would definitely recommend looking up your model to see if their was a recall for replacing a motherboard or something. This happened to me a couple years ago and HP sent a box and I shipped it and it was back free of charge completely repaired.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
11-01-2012, 05:30 AM
it is about 2-3 weeks and it didn't work then so I am just trying to see if someone would know on here, and I also have a cooling pad from day one because my school one overheats all the time so I did a preemptive strike on this one, thank's for the try everyone I think I might have to fiddle with the bios on the cooling settings, I will keep everyone updated with any difference.
11-01-2012, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 05:55 AM by Filox.)
STOP! DO NOT GO TO BIOS!

Phew, I hope I got in here in time, since you are puzzled with this simplicity, then DO NOT TOUCH the BIOS, or you might do some real damage there. And there is also nothing you can do there, since this is not a hardware problem, but the dust problem. Also, those of you who said that you can use vacuum cleaner, or a compressor to vacuum or blow out the dust, you are wrong, only thing you can do with that is kill the vent or make the dust stuck in the vent so it can't move anymore at all. Next time, put this into my section, that is why it is there. Now that I have boosted my ego, let's go to the solution.

Smile

Now, the solution can be simple or not so simple, this depends on the configuration of your laptop case, the down side of the laptop. What you need to do is disassemble it so that you can seen and clean your vent and passive cooling parts, that is where the dust is concentrated and it has made a small carpet there that blocks the air flow. That carpet must be removed and it must be removed physically, not by blowing, because it is usually too big, so you can just push it somewhere inside the laptop, you can not pull it out with blowing.

My laptop has it very simple, I unscrew 1 screw and I can see and remove my vent and passive cooling and clean it all in an matter of seconds. Most of the laptops do not have it that simple and you need to take it apart. I even had to take out the whole motherboard on some machines, because someone in the factory was retarded and they thought that it would be a good thing to never be able to clean the dist. The fucktards, I hate the fucktards...

You laptop needs to be disassembled and thanx to the Russians, here you have a video tutorial on How To... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txx6Y7XkKw8

My suggestion would be to give it to someone who does these things for living, if you never opened any laptop, it will be all very confusing, hard and time consuming. My fee for cleaning dust is around 20$, no matter what kind of problems I encounter, but that is just me, most of other service guys will charge much more than this, official service would charge way more for even looking at your laptop. I live far, far away from you, so don't even bother... Smile

P.S.
After a quick look on the video, I can now say that your laptop was made by some fucktard that didn't want you to clean it and he wanted to make someone like me crazy while cleaning it... You have to take it whole apart, take out the motherboard, everything, the worst option possible. I'm sorry. Now you need to find someone who can help you. A friend is what I would suggest, I don't trust these IT guys...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
11-01-2012, 06:45 AM
why not the spray air? not saying he is supposed to blow it into the laptop. there is nothing sticky on that air, why would you make it worse?
btw my laptop gets hot too sometimes, not often though. i wanted to open it but it was friggin impossible. I'd have to break something because it seems that they glues some parts together...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
11-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Hey Filox thanks for that post. Knew my fan was clogged for a while now, your post spurred me to take off the back cover for the first time in my life and clean it out - picked out the mat of muck like you said... back cover was a bitch to get off and on though. Figured it out eventually.
11-01-2012, 09:14 AM
(11-01-2012 06:45 AM)Leela Wrote:  why not the spray air? not saying he is supposed to blow it into the laptop. there is nothing sticky on that air, why would you make it worse?
btw my laptop gets hot too sometimes, not often though. i wanted to open it but it was friggin impossible. I'd have to break something because it seems that they glues some parts together...

It won't necessarily make things worse. It is obviously better to clean a system out directly by removing the cover but you run into possibly warranty issues. I never suggest end-users tear apart their laptops for this reason. I have told people to do this in the past but a warning must be given about warranty voids.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
12-01-2012, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 04:49 AM by Filox.)
Yes, if we are talking about new laptops here, that are still protected with warranty, then you have only one option and that is the official service, or you loose your warranty. You also have to know that dust and cleaning is now covered by warranty, so you will have to pay that.

Spraying things can help, but it is very hard to blow out all the pieces of that mat of muck, so you always have a possibility that some of the parts will stuck in the vent and block it even worse than it is now. Mat of muck is big and compact, holes for the air intake or blow out are small and usually covered with some kind of protection, so it can be impossible to blow out the dust from inside.

Also, you can break your vent if you blow air hard and if you do not keep the vent stopped with something. If it spins in the opposite direction, it can jump out of the center, so it is broken again. Then you are at risk of vent not working at all or vent becoming noisy and at the end of its life. Not that often, but it can happen. The vents are not suppose to turn faster than they are predicted to and specially not suppose to turn very fast in the opposite direction.

Leela, nothings is ever glued together in laptops, but they are screwed and also ... how to explain this, plastic with some kind of hooks, that hold 2 plastic parts together, so you have to apply some force in the right direction and it will be set apart without breaking? Can someone please help me organize this last sentence? Smile

Anyway, if you fell that you are up to the challenge, you can use video tutorials on youtube, but as i said before, it is better to give it to someone who knows what he's doing. If you have a friend who is into these things, there is your solution.

Now, how to prevent the dust and overheating? Desk, not bed. Hard surface, not a blanket. No, it is not suppose to be in your lap, no matter that the name is "laptop". If you keep it on bed, on a blanket all the air intake holes are blocked and the most hot part of the laptop is not being aired, but it is heated with your blanket. Always use something to keep between your laptop and bed/lap. I use Atlas or something similar, hard, straight surface, clean as well. Some of the laptops (HP ProBook series) do not take their air from the bottom, but through the keyboard, so do not eat sandwiches on top of your laptop and try to keep it clean.
When you work for a longer period, put something under the laptop, so it can take more air from the bottom, you can use a box of cigarettes for example, just a few centimeters is enough to make a difference. The best solutions are the cooling pad, but even better is to make your own cooling pad from one or 2 big fans, connected on USB port. Cheaper and more air than those from the shop.

-Hunter S. Thompson
13-01-2012, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2012 11:00 PM by MasterRottweiler.)
I use SpeedFan for heating issues, you can try this program, but make sure your system is compatible and read the FAQ and specifications before trying it, I've been using it for 2 years on my laptop and I can control the fan speed manually, but again, you should make sure that your pc is fully compatible.

Also a cooling base helps.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Peace and good luck, I hope it helps.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
14-01-2012, 05:11 AM
SpeedFan can do nothing if the air holes are full of muck. Laptops, specially new ones, have a good heating sensors and the fans are optimized enough for normal work on every laptop. If it starts to overheat, there is always only one reason and that is mat of muck inside the cooling system. You could keep the fan on max speed all the time, it will help a bit, but in the end, you will still need to clean your coolers or else you risk more dust collecting and your laptop overheating again, with the fan on full power, plus it will use up the fans lifetime faster. You DO NOT want your fan to die completely.

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post