Altair's Sword
Neither
[Show Results]

Need help deciding on a sword.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
RE: Need help deciding on a sword.
(04-02-2015 01:46 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I have always been more of an axe man.

I've got a couple of two headed ones that'd make ya drool....

heh

(real ones - that I used to use to split wood - till I got the woodsplitter).

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2015, 02:20 PM
(04-02-2015 01:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 01:25 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Not like it's going to be used, just for decoration and collection.

I like the assassins creed. The other one looks like it might look too cartoonish on your wall.

My husband has all kinds of fake swords that he's used in the theatre. He directs a lot of Shakespeare and does the fight choreography for the battle scenes. He has to take the edges and grind them down so the actors don't actually kill each other but they're heavy and make a nice sound on stage of a real sword.

We have several on our wall and to display them I went to Home Depot and got drawer pulls with nice decorations on them and screw them into the wall with double ended screws. One end of the screw goes into the drawer pull, the other end goes into the wall. The swords hang by the cross guard on two drawer pulls in an up and down position, sort of like a cross. They look neat.

It is a bit cartoonish and thats awesome! If there was ever a sword DIY channel, you'd be perfect for it.

(04-02-2015 02:01 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 01:25 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Not like it's going to be used, just for decoration and collection.

That's a relief...

I knew a guy in highschool who fancied himself as some kind of matrix ninja. Last year I saw him standing outside of a bar with a samurai sword. He's like 28 years old; what a complete tool..

Don't be THAT guy.

Knowing my clumsyness i would impale myself trying to swing a sword. Laugh out load

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-02-2015, 02:20 PM
(04-02-2015 01:17 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Wait till you have more money - if you want a sword, buy a real one - not some piece of nickle plated cold-rolled steel made in Pakistan......

I couldn't agree more.

Cheap decoration swords will look cheap up close. I promise you. There is no reason to spend lots of money on multiple crappy swords--let's face it, sword collecting is an addiction--when you can just save up for one of quality. You'll never buy a cheap sword again once you've seen the real thing. Even if you don't intend to use it, the artistry and craftsmanship of real ones will make their cheap counterparts look like the toys that they are.

For example, take this review of the Link master sword. It looks like a mass-produced POS that someone would purchase for their kid at a Halloween store.

Also, there are several one star reviews on amazon that describe the handle snapping easily. Despite it being a "wall hanger", someone at some point is going to take it down (whether you want them to or not) and give it a few swings. Then the handle will snap and you'll be left with a $60 pile of metal and plastic that you can't do anything with.

This is a good video to start off with. As you can see, I like the youtuber Skallagrim. Check out his reviews of swords. He is so thorough that sword producers have started sending him products to review. The quality of his videos has skyrocketed since this one was made.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2015, 02:37 PM
I don’t get the whole decorative armament infatuation. Antiques sure, but replicas? meh

I see blades as tools. Get yourself something you can pull off the wall for half price.
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/display....220&page=1

Know what it’s made of, quality of metal
http://www.midwayusa.com/technicalnotes/..._chart.htm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-02-2015, 03:01 PM
You'll put your eye out kid! (Or worse)

[Image: christmas-story_12_zpsntx4iobg.jpg]
04-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Talk to KingsChosen. He fucked up on his taxes and needs to sell his collection cheap.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Note above post....

If you buy reproduction or "fantasy" stuff -- it has virtually NO resale.

Whereas real stuff, generally appreciates in value over time.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-02-2015, 09:09 PM
(04-02-2015 01:17 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Wait till you have more money - if you want a sword, buy a real one - not some piece of nickle plated cold-rolled steel made in Pakistan......

yeah, I spent too much money on those myself.

Just get yourself something really good. It needs to be at least some form of carbon steel and be made to be full tang if it is some sort of katana. If you are spending less then 100 bucks, you are buying a wall decoration.

If you want to cosplay, then get those swords. Otherwise, dont bother.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
06-02-2015, 04:34 PM
So I decided to take your guy's advice and wait until I have a better budget. I bought a video game instead.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
06-02-2015, 04:36 PM
(06-02-2015 04:34 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  So I decided to take your guy's advice and wait until I have a better budget. I bought a video game instead.

Does it have swords?

#sigh