Need help finding a topic regarding Atheism with Issues Nationally or internationally

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2017, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2017 03:09 PM by Shane951.)
Need help finding a topic regarding Atheism with Issues Nationally or internationally
I am writing a application to be in an honor's program, and I need help of thinking of a topic that relates with atheism (or anything) in regards to issues nationally or internationally, that can contribute right down to my immediate community.

I was thinking of writing how religion can cause an effect with future generations through science illiteracy.

Or also writing the scare of human climate change, and trying to view why proponents are against such evidence.

I feel my first topic would be highly controversial, and many might find it offending to their beliefs.

My second topic seems okay.

Any other topics you guys have that can relate to religion/science/ or ethics? These are my top choices.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shane951's post
20-03-2017, 03:11 PM
RE: Need help finding a topic regarding Atheism with Issues Nationally or internationally
Maybe atheism as cause of symbolical exclusion from national community? Aren't atheists sometimes called un-American?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
20-03-2017, 03:55 PM
RE: Need help finding a topic regarding Atheism with Issues Nationally or internationally
Creationist beliefs are rampant in the United States, especially in the poorer and more economically-depressed regions (what we like to call the "Bible Belt" or "Red States"), and this has already caused major problems in scientific literacy. Companies are now reporting major difficulties in finding American workers in STEM fields, and are trying to encourage students to enter those fields-- it is surprising that this is a difficult thing to accomplish, since unemployment rates for people with STEM educations are half that of other fields!

http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2012/0...oward-stem

There are some improvements that have come from efforts over the last couple of decades, from a low point in the early 80s, as some groups are now fighting against the current of ignorant religious anti-science views/groups that attack our educational system. While we've made some progress, we're still near the bottom of the list, among first world nations.

https://sciencepolicyforall.wordpress.co...opulation/

And, now that Trump has put anti-science religious ideologues into positions of power in his cabinet, including the hyper-fundamentalist Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, we may be about to see some major backsliding. I am hopeful that the Age of Google may help to mitigate the damage they will do to our education system. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-03-2017, 05:09 PM
(20-03-2017 03:05 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  Or also writing the scare of human climate change, and trying to view why proponents are against such evidence.

Okay.

(20-03-2017 03:05 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  Any other topics you guys have that can relate to religion/science/ or ethics? These are my top choices.

Religion and ethics?

What do you call a religion that condones slavery?

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
20-03-2017, 06:35 PM
(20-03-2017 05:09 PM)Mircea Wrote:  ...
What do you call a religion that condones slavery?

Progressive.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post