Need help for wedding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2017, 12:20 AM
Need help for wedding
Hey all, Fiance is Christian and I'm Atheist and we've decided to keep the religion out of it and want a small secular wedding, so I hope some of you can give me some help here. We are in the Joplin, Mo region and are getting married in a few weeks, we've been trying to find someone to officiate that won't make it all about god and religion, but we're new to the area and don't have a lot of resources yet. I'm basically asking advice or if anyone knows anyone in the area that could do a secular wedding.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EightEx's post
19-04-2017, 01:36 AM
RE: Need help for wedding
Hi,
And congratulations' on your wedding! I live in the UK so I know bugger all about the USA's laws! However, just for the sake of asking a constructive question. Can you appoint a Judge to do the wedding and instruct him it's Secular?
That's all I have and good luck!!

K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
19-04-2017, 02:21 AM
Do you have any friends in the area? You can become ordained online and have them officiate it. I'm not sure on the official laws in the US on what you have to say, but that'd probably be your best bet. Head to City Hall or something and get it done.

I'm married, and attempted to keep the lord out of it...ended up getting married in a church, swearing to "god" about my vows, due to the other half, but you know what they say: happy wife happy life.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
19-04-2017, 02:24 AM
I hope you have a wonderful wedding Smile Sorry I don't have any useful advice.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
19-04-2017, 03:42 AM
(19-04-2017 12:20 AM)EightEx Wrote:  Hey all, Fiance is Christian and I'm Atheist and we've decided to keep the religion out of it and want a small secular wedding, so I hope some of you can give me some help here. We are in the Joplin, Mo region and are getting married in a few weeks, we've been trying to find someone to officiate that won't make it all about god and religion, but we're new to the area and don't have a lot of resources yet. I'm basically asking advice or if anyone knows anyone in the area that could do a secular wedding.

You could look into getting a Justice of the Peace to perform the ceremony.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
19-04-2017, 04:35 AM
Do a search for Justice of the Peace. When I got married (by a Justice of the Peace, in my apartment) we made sure that there was no mention of god in the ceremony.

Also you could ask at your local town hall/courthouse to find out if there will be god involved if you're married there.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
19-04-2017, 04:37 AM
In some states a Notary Public can simply notarize your license and you can handle the 'ceremony' any way you want to. Check with the clerk of court in your county to see if that's an option.

I performed two as a notary in SC. I went online and looked up vows that weren't religious and wrote a nice ceremony for each of them. You would also have the option of writing your own or having none at all.

Congrats.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-04-2017, 05:38 AM
Try searching for "secular celebrants"

Here's one search: http://thehumanistsociety.org/celebrants/listing/

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
19-04-2017, 10:56 PM
Thanks all for the responses. We'd thought about a Justice but weren't sure if they would come to us, and we're tight on cash. I think what we'll probably go the city hall route and just do a simple ceremony for the family after.
[+] 2 users Like EightEx's post
21-04-2017, 05:22 AM
Hi EightEX.

I like your solution. That way you are legally married and for the more attended ceremony you can have any person you choose to lead you through your vows to each other or just do it yourselves.

Please keep in mind, however, that those who love you best and are overjoyed that you found the person you want to marry might have hurt feelings about not witnessing the initial, yet mundane, official ceremony no matter where it is.

Then again...maybe they won't be aware of it. You know your loved ones best. Just a word of caution; weddings and funerals often cause deep rifts in families, which is bizarre but true.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."