Need help for wedding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2017, 05:53 AM
RE: Need help for wedding
(19-04-2017 12:20 AM)EightEx Wrote:  Hey all, Fiance is Christian and I'm Atheist and we've decided to keep the religion out of it and want a small secular wedding, so I hope some of you can give me some help here. We are in the Joplin, Mo region and are getting married in a few weeks, we've been trying to find someone to officiate that won't make it all about god and religion, but we're new to the area and don't have a lot of resources yet. I'm basically asking advice or if anyone knows anyone in the area that could do a secular wedding.

The only legal requirement you need is to sign a paper in front of a judge at the clerks office or a government sanctioned party to be witness. If you do the "ceremony" with a judge you can request and they have to leave it out, if they don't they are fucking dicks and you can sue them if they refuse to leave it out.

But if you want someone outside a clerks office there are people like even boat captains that can conduct the ceremony. What is required to make the marriage legal is neutral official witness to sign the licence, but a holy person is not required to sign it anyone claiming that is full of shit. The holy person is strictly voluntary, a holy person is not required by the state.

The clerks office simply needs someone with the legal right to be the third witness. It really amounts to basically another form of notarizing.

I got married to my X by a Judge and requested he not mention religion or God, he did just that. I don't give one shit if that pissed him off either. The religious crap is not mandated by the state, it is not banned but it is also not required.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Justice of the Peace would fit the bill.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
21-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Although this guy is a Christian, according to this site, Rodney Noran conducts secular, non-religious wedding ceremonies—so he might satisfy both you and your fiancé. He'll also come to a venue of your choice, with no extra costs.

The Casual Wedding Officiant

He works in Joplin and Carthage.

—With all my best wishes for the BIG day! Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
21-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Congratulations on your wedding. I hope you'll have a blast.
If you were close to where I live, I'd offer but sadly you don't.

Here is what my husband and I did. We went to the registrar rather than a church. So in Ireland every priest and every registrar can officiate a wedding.
So we got up very early, we had only very few people invited for the ceremony. A friend came to help us in the morning and to drive us there.Then we had short talk with the registrar. She asked if we wanted the religious bit in the ceremony or not. We didn't want it. We signed some stuff. Then we had the ceremony, very small and nice. Basically her reading some official things to us, then doing the vows that we all know just without all the godly bits. Then we exchanged rings and kissed. Then we went back home and ate with friends and looked at presents etc. That was it. Sounds a bit dry but it was very nice and very fun and I only had people around me that I really wanted there.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
07-05-2017, 12:54 AM
Go online, any humanist group will officiate.
07-05-2017, 03:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2017 03:04 AM by adey67.)
(19-04-2017 12:20 AM)EightEx Wrote:  Hey all, Fiance is Christian and I'm Atheist and we've decided to keep the religion out of it and want a small secular wedding, so I hope some of you can give me some help here. We are in the Joplin, Mo region and are getting married in a few weeks, we've been trying to find someone to officiate that won't make it all about god and religion, but we're new to the area and don't have a lot of resources yet. I'm basically asking advice or if anyone knows anyone in the area that could do a secular wedding.
Look up your local humanist group / organization for the area, they should be online, failing that any national humanist organisation,they should have a list of humanists celebrants for both weddings and funerals. Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials.