Need help/suggestions about sister's opportunity to appear at Carnegie Hall

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Need help/suggestions about sister's opportunity to appear at Carnegie Hall
My sister is a senior in music studies here in Greece (studying to be a choir director) and the choir she sings in at her university has been invited by some guy called Larry Nickel to sing at Carnegie Hall in New York Ohmy

The choir participated in a festival of some sorts in Bayreuth in Germany where they performed one of his works along with other choirs from around the world and he was impressed with them and wants them to participate in the next one he's planning. Which will take place in, did I mention it? Carnegie Hall! Gasp

Now the crappy part is that they will have to pay for everything, tickets, accommodation, and even some kind of fee to Carnegie Hall. They're not willing to let the chance go and they're trying to save and collect money by singing for people in the street and they're planning to have a big concert too. I also suggested crowdfunding to my sister, which she hadn't heard of before.

What I'd like to ask is whether anyone here knows of any place in New York they could contact that could help with accommodation, whether that's some kind of hospitality exchange or any hostel offer for many people, I'm really not sure what the options are. My mum mentioned there may even be clubs or associations that could help. Any ideas, suggestions, advice is welcome Smile

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
30-10-2015, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2015 06:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Need help/suggestions about sister's opportunity to appear at Carnegie Hall
(30-10-2015 10:22 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  My sister is a senior in music studies here in Greece (studying to be a choir director) and the choir she sings in at her university has been invited by some guy called Larry Nickel to sing at Carnegie Hall in New York Ohmy

He seems to be quite famous for choirs and choral music.

(30-10-2015 10:22 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  What I'd like to ask is whether anyone here knows of any place in New York they could contact that could help with accommodation, whether that's some kind of hospitality exchange or any hostel offer for many people, ...

There are some. But do you ever want to see them again?

(30-10-2015 10:22 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Now the crappy part is that they will have to pay for everything, tickets, accommodation, and even some kind of fee to Carnegie Hall. They're not willing to let the chance go and they're trying to save and collect money by singing for people in the street and they're planning to have a big concert too. I also suggested crowdfunding to my sister, which she hadn't heard of before.

Airfare is a lot cheaper than I thought. Like $700-1000 for a round trip ticket. Housing is gonna be the big cost. Unless you plan on eating that is (nah, you can eat good pretty cheap). I'd contact Larry Nickel and ask him for advice and ideas. He's done this before.

#sigh
30-10-2015, 07:02 PM
(30-10-2015 06:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 10:22 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  My sister is a senior in music studies here in Greece (studying to be a choir director) and the choir she sings in at her university has been invited by some guy called Larry Nickel to sing at Carnegie Hall in New York Ohmy

He seems to be quite famous for choirs and choral music.

(30-10-2015 10:22 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  What I'd like to ask is whether anyone here knows of any place in New York they could contact that could help with accommodation, whether that's some kind of hospitality exchange or any hostel offer for many people, ...

There are some. But do you ever want to see them again?

(30-10-2015 10:22 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Now the crappy part is that they will have to pay for everything, tickets, accommodation, and even some kind of fee to Carnegie Hall. They're not willing to let the chance go and they're trying to save and collect money by singing for people in the street and they're planning to have a big concert too. I also suggested crowdfunding to my sister, which she hadn't heard of before.

Airfare is a lot cheaper than I thought. Like $700-1000 for a round trip ticket. Housing is gonna be the big cost. Unless you plan on eating that is (nah, you can eat good pretty cheap). I'd contact Larry Nickel and ask him for advice and ideas. He's done this before.

Maybe her college can work out a housing deal with a NYC-based college? Possibly trade for a summer festival if the Greek college offers it.

Mostly the housing costs in this kind of thing are covered by people staying with friends or friends of friends. I'm in music, and I fairly often go to friends and find some composer, etc., occupying the guest room.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
01-11-2015, 07:38 AM
(30-10-2015 06:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There are some. But do you ever want to see them again?

Oh. Well.
Confused
Is it unrealistic to expect some places in downtown Manhattan (about 50$/night) to be ok?

(30-10-2015 07:02 PM)julep Wrote:  Maybe her college can work out a housing deal with a NYC-based college? Possibly trade for a summer festival if the Greek college offers it.

Mostly the housing costs in this kind of thing are covered by people staying with friends or friends of friends. I'm in music, and I fairly often go to friends and find some composer, etc., occupying the guest room.

I guess they're currently looking into it (her college, I mean) but I doubt they know much about any alternatives.
The thing is, you can't expect 30 Greek people to have enough friends in New York to have them as guests Tongue

-Guybrush Threepwood-
01-11-2015, 07:59 AM
(01-11-2015 07:38 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 06:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There are some. But do you ever want to see them again?

Oh. Well.
Confused
Is it unrealistic to expect some places in downtown Manhattan (about 50$/night) to be ok?

(30-10-2015 07:02 PM)julep Wrote:  Maybe her college can work out a housing deal with a NYC-based college? Possibly trade for a summer festival if the Greek college offers it.

I guess they're currently looking into it (her college, I mean) but I doubt they know much about any alternatives.
The thing is, you can't expect 30 Greek people to have enough friends in New York to have them as guests Tongue

Hmm... could you cram 30 people into a big suite at the Plaza without them killing each other?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
01-11-2015, 08:21 AM
(01-11-2015 07:38 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Is it unrealistic to expect some places in downtown Manhattan (about 50$/night) to be ok?

It is unrealistic to find that rate in Manhattan period. Government per diem is $300/night.

#sigh
01-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Use one of the fund raising sites to raise funds? Lots of people like to support youth and the arts...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-11-2015, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 10:00 AM by DLJ.)
Consider

It's a pity that it's happening in such a rural place that's unlikely to have much of an immigrant community.

If only there were people there who would be willing or even excited about an en masse visit by people from their mother country.

https://m.facebook.com/Greek.NewYork/

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
01-11-2015, 09:29 AM
(01-11-2015 09:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

It's a pity that it's happening in such a rural place that's unlikely to have much of an immigrant community.

If only there were people there who would be willing or even exited about an en masse visit by people from their mother country.

My coffee just came out my nose.

#sigh
01-11-2015, 10:02 AM
(01-11-2015 08:21 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It is unrealistic to find that rate in Manhattan period. Government per diem is $300/night.

Uuum, then either my sight is deteriorating or I've missed something or someone's pulling a prank on me because I can totally find hostels (on booking.com) with rates starting from 50$/night. They look pretty nice too.

(01-11-2015 09:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

If only there were people there who would be willing or even exited about an en masse visit by people from their mother country.

Oh boy, I'm sure they have 30.000 dollars to spare Dodgy

As I said, they're probably checking everything Greek there is in New York already. What I was asking is whether anyone in here has had any similar experience or knows anyone who has or anything about the whole thing.

Yes, her teachers are looking into it but I thought I'd help because, well, Greeks are really not good at that stuff and it's not certain they will manage to find something and time is limited. It's not like their fate lies in the hands of this forum. I'm just trying to help my sis. Maybe appearing at Carnegie Hall doesn't mean much to wealthy foreigners, but it does to people like us.

-Guybrush Threepwood-