Need help/suggestions about sister's opportunity to appear at Carnegie Hall

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2015, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 10:36 AM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Need help/suggestions about sister's opportunity to appear at Carnegie Hall
(01-11-2015 10:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 08:21 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It is unrealistic to find that rate in Manhattan period. Government per diem is $300/night.

Uuum, then either my sight is deteriorating or I've missed something or someone's pulling a prank on me because I can totally find hostels (on booking.com) with rates starting from 50$/night. They look pretty nice too.

I'm not finding them. I'm seeing $300-500/night. ... Hold on. I was looking at hotels not hostels. ... I forgot all about the YMCA. And That Jazz on Columbus Circle Hostel looks very nice for $65/night and is the closest to Carnegie Hall. I'd stay there myself. The closer you are to Carnegie Hall the less you have to worry about crime. You do need to be worried about bed bugs (even in the upscale hotels). They should keep their choir outfits sealed in plastic until they get to Carnegie Hall. The rest of their clothing and luggage should be considered disposable and burned as soon as they return. Good luck to them!

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2015, 10:27 AM
(01-11-2015 10:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 08:21 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It is unrealistic to find that rate in Manhattan period. Government per diem is $300/night.

Uuum, then either my sight is deteriorating or I've missed something or someone's pulling a prank on me because I can totally find hostels (on booking.com) with rates starting from 50$/night. They look pretty nice too.

(01-11-2015 09:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

It's a pity that it's happening in such a rural place that's unlikely to have much of an immigrant community.

If only there were people there who would be willing or even exited about an en masse visit by people from their mother country.

https://m.facebook.com/Greek.NewYork/

Oh boy, I'm sure they have 30.000 dollars to spare Dodgy

As I said, they're probably checking everything Greek there is in New York already. What I was asking is whether anyone in here has had any similar experience or knows anyone who has or anything about the whole thing.

Yes, her teachers are looking into it but I thought I'd help because, well, Greeks are really not good at that stuff and it's not certain they will manage to find something and time is limited. It's not like their fate lies in the hands of this forum. I'm just trying to help my sis. Maybe appearing at Carnegie Hall doesn't mean much to wealthy foreigners, but it does to people like us.

"Probably", you say, but definitely?

Getting the local Greek community excited about it would not only help to raise the funds, find families willing to accommodate the students but also boost ticket sales.

I doubt the local Greeks would consider themselves to be wealthy foreigners ... but some of them will have a dollar or two to spare.

I would not be in any way surprised if one music-loving Greek tycoon had 30,000 in his/her back pocket. Murika, baby!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-11-2015, 10:43 AM
(01-11-2015 10:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Maybe appearing at Carnegie Hall doesn't mean much to wealthy foreigners, but it does to people like us.

Oh not at all. That and the Lincoln Center and the Kennedy Center in DC represent the pinnacle of a performing artist's career. They should be very excited to get an invite and do everything they can to get there.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-11-2015, 10:47 AM
(01-11-2015 10:20 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm not finding them. I'm seeing $300-500/night. ... Hold on. I was looking at hotels not hostels. ... I forgot all about the YMCA. And That Jazz on Columbus Circle Hostel looks very nice for $65/night and is the closest to Carnegie Hall. I'd stay there myself. The closer you are to Carnegie Hall the less you have to worry about crime. You do need to be worried about bed bugs (even in the upscale hotels). They should keep their choir outfits sealed in plastic until they get to Carnegie Hall. The rest of their clothing and luggage should be considered disposable and burned as soon as they return. Good luck to them!

Yeah that "Jazz" one was one of those I found too. I guess they won't be walking around there at night so I suppose it's safe? Consider

I really do hope you're joking about the bed bugs Shocking

(01-11-2015 10:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  "Probably", you say, but definitely?

Getting the local Greek community excited about it would not only help to raise the funds, find families willing to accommodate the students but also boost ticket sales.

I doubt the local Greeks would consider themselves to be wealthy foreigners ... but some of them will have a dollar or two to spare.

I would not be in any way surprised if one music-loving Greek tycoon had 30,000 in his/her back pocket. Murika, baby!

Well, that does make sense. Seriously though, there are very few Greeks in the US who don't get by. Most of the ones I met there were wealthy enough to have their own apartment in downtown Manhattan and have a house in the Bahamas. You're right about the fact that they'd probably be interested though.

I actually haven't talked to my sister since she first told me and I decided to help, so I'll check up on them and see how the teachers are doing. It's just that I've been though that situation (you plan something, spend a lot of money and then after you're done you suddenly realize that your cousin's wife could TOTALLY have helped but you forgot to ask) SO many times that I'm now used to asking every single person I know for help.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
01-11-2015, 10:49 AM
(01-11-2015 10:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I would not be in any way surprised if one music-loving Greek tycoon had 30,000 in his/her back pocket. Murika, baby!

George Soros is Hungarian but I'd bet he'd cover it if he knew about it. Making him aware of it though is a different issue.

#sigh
01-11-2015, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 10:58 AM by GirlyMan.)
(01-11-2015 10:47 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Yeah that "Jazz" one was one of those I found too. I guess they won't be walking around there at night so I suppose it's safe? Consider

That area is plenty safe enough for a group of 30 to walk around at night and see the sights and enjoy the food.

(01-11-2015 10:47 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I really do hope you're joking about the bed bugs Shocking

I am not. The bed bug epidemic in Manhatten has been cut in half but that ain't saying much. They need to plan for it.

#sigh