Need help with a Christian friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Need help with a Christian friend
Hi Everyone,

I need some help dealing with a Christian friend of mine. I used to be heavily involved in the church prior to becoming an atheist. Since church and religion were big parts of my life for so long, I still maintain friendships with several friends from my old church. Other than online forums like TTA, I don’t have a lot of atheist friends--most of my “in real life” friends are Christians or Catholics and they are actively involved in the church.

Recently, one of my Christian friends started asking me about atheism as she was having doubts about the church, religion, etc. I was so happy that she was starting to think for herself and questioning the doctrine of the church and her beliefs. I gave her several books to read that helped me on my path to atheism and we have had several long conversations as to why religion is bullshit.

Then, yesterday, we were on our way to lunch and we were once again having a conversation about religion. She brought up the Pascal’s wager thing and I mentioned that’s fine, but which god or gods (i.e. Vishnu, Zeus, yadda yadda) should you believe in to “be safe”? Just as I said that, a car drove by us with a huge ass “Jesus is Lord” poster on his car. So now my friend has gone back into Christian mode as clearly that was a sign from God, who apparently was answering my question of which god/gods should you believe in. Facepalm

I have tried several angles in trying to wake her up to reality again, none have worked, and she is now more convinced than ever that God/Jesus exists due to the timing of my asking which god should you believe in and the Jesus is Lord car sign drive by. I asked her if she saw Darth Vader is Lord immediately after my saying that, would she be required to believe in Darth Vader as her lord and savior? She told me that was just silly, but can’t seem to see the same silliness with Jesus. Anyway, I’m at a loss of what to do. I hate seeing people I care about start to question only to run back into religion.

Any ideas of what I can say to her about this incident to help her see it was just a coincidence and not a sign from God?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2016, 12:42 PM
RE: Need help with a Christian friend
At work.

Hug

Part of my reply is 'Don't try to change them.'

Instead...... be happy to drift back tonthe point of them beginning to question things.

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
21-08-2016, 12:42 PM
If Jesus really is god, why would someone need to put a big sign on their car to convince anyone? Why the mysterious "sign from heaven"?
Why not just show up in person?
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
21-08-2016, 12:50 PM
At work.

(21-08-2016 12:42 PM)pablo Wrote:  If Jesus really is god, why would someone need to put a big sign on their car to convince anyone? Why the mysterious "sign from heaven"?
Why not just show up in person?

Can't put in link.

"Jesus built my car. It's a love affair... but mainly Jesus and my Hot-rod.... "

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
21-08-2016, 12:59 PM
I was in India with a friend of mine who had recently started questioning their childhood indoctrination beliefs.

One day, in a taxi, they mentioned Pascal's Wager and I asked how anyone would be able to determine which was true/right god to bet on. With so many gods or goddesses to choose from, there's a lot riding on making the right choice.

There was a pause as she thought about that and then, as if it were a sign, we were overtaken by this...

[Image: ganesha-i.jpg.image.768.505.jpg]

Since then she has become a devotee of Ganesha.

Rolleyes

OK, that didn't really happen and I've never been to India but your friend doesn't know that.

Reductio absurdum FTW.

Big Grin

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
21-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Well, you could just point out that the chances of seeing a "Jesus is Lord" sign in America have to be pretty high pretty much anywhere. Although I doubt that'll get through. I'd back off a bit. Give her time to mull it over. If she's honest with herself she'll figure it out. Well, if she's moderately intelligent as well...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-08-2016, 03:19 PM
(21-08-2016 12:33 PM)jennybee Wrote:  HShe brought up the Pascal’s wager thing and I mentioned that’s fine, but which god or gods (i.e. Vishnu, Zeus, yadda yadda) should you believe in to “be safe”? Just as I said that, a car drove by us with a huge ass “Jesus is Lord” poster on his car.
Given where you guys are located, what is the likelihood of a Vishnu, Zeus, Allah, Tane is lord poster being on a vehicle?

How many Christian slogans are on people's vehicles, where you were located?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
21-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Why should it matter what your friend believes?

But okay... it's probably not about what they believe and more about how those beliefs are impacting their lives. Given your reception of me and the other level-headed theists here, I would imagine that your problem is the latter. In that case, I'd focus on secularizing your friend by pointing out that certain modes of thinking are promoted by the church and that your friend can still believe in Jesus even if they accept a more secular lifestyle. Coax your friend into independent thinking and point out when they're mindlessly following their church instead of thinking for themselves. When your friend starts relying on their own brain to think for themselves, the religion may crumble away on its own.

And of course, you can always get counter missionary help from us. Big Grin Happy to help!
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
21-08-2016, 04:10 PM
(21-08-2016 12:42 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Hug

Part of my reply is 'Don't try to change them.'

Instead...... be happy to drift back tonthe point of them beginning to question things.

Thumbsup

I know, I'm trying to be supportive, but it's difficult watching a friend still be consumed by religion to the point where it clouds her rational thought.
21-08-2016, 04:11 PM
(21-08-2016 12:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I was in India with a friend of mine who had recently started questioning their childhood indoctrination beliefs.

One day, in a taxi, they mentioned Pascal's Wager and I asked how anyone would be able to determine which was true/right god to bet on. With so many gods or goddesses to choose from, there's a lot riding on making the right choice.

There was a pause as she thought about that and then, as if it were a sign, we were overtaken by this...

[Image: ganesha-i.jpg.image.768.505.jpg]

Since then she has become a devotee of Ganesha.

Rolleyes

OK, that didn't really happen and I've never been to India but your friend doesn't know that.

Reductio absurdum FTW.

Big Grin

I'll try this Laugh out load