Need help with a Christian friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2016, 04:22 PM
RE: Need help with a Christian friend
(21-08-2016 03:19 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 12:33 PM)jennybee Wrote:  HShe brought up the Pascal’s wager thing and I mentioned that’s fine, but which god or gods (i.e. Vishnu, Zeus, yadda yadda) should you believe in to “be safe”? Just as I said that, a car drove by us with a huge ass “Jesus is Lord” poster on his car.
Given where you guys are located, what is the likelihood of a Vishnu, Zeus, Allah, Tane is lord poster being on a vehicle?

How many Christian slogans are on people's vehicles, where you were located?

There aren't as many where we live, as say in the Bible Belt section of the U.S., but Jesus-y bumper stickers do still crop up on vehicles where we live on occasion. I tried to get her to think in these terms, however she seems to be hung up on the idea that since I posed the question: "Given that there are so many god(s), which god would be the right one to believe in?" And then immediately after this guy pulls up in the car beside us with a large "Jesus is Lord" hand written poster board covering his entire rear window--that that somehow means God was answering my question. Hobo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Just give her a little bit of time. The more you push, the less effect will your words have.
Instead, just stay available for conversations. Sooner or later, she will mention something anyway and then you can help her connect the dots again.
Anyway, if she doesn't want to leave faith any longer, no one should make her.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 4 users Like Leerob's post
21-08-2016, 04:33 PM
(21-08-2016 04:08 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Why should it matter what your friend believes?

But okay... it's probably not about what they believe and more about how those beliefs are impacting their lives. Given your reception of me and the other level-headed theists here, I would imagine that your problem is the latter. In that case, I'd focus on secularizing your friend by pointing out that certain modes of thinking are promoted by the church and that your friend can still believe in Jesus even if they accept a more secular lifestyle. Coax your friend into independent thinking and point out when they're mindlessly following their church instead of thinking for themselves. When your friend starts relying on their own brain to think for themselves, the religion may crumble away on its own.

And of course, you can always get counter missionary help from us. Big Grin Happy to help!

If she was a rational theist and was making her own decisions in life (and not based on what God wants her to do) and was viewing her religion as mere spirituality, then I would not be concerned. The Christian sect I was involved in was pretty hard core which includes following the Bible literally and being a Proverbs woman (i.e. submitting to your husband and being "meek"). As a friend, I am really hoping she gets out of all of that.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
21-08-2016, 04:34 PM
(21-08-2016 04:30 PM)Leela Wrote:  Just give her a little bit of time. The more you push, the less effect will your words have.
Instead, just stay available for conversations. Sooner or later, she will mention something anyway and then you can help her connect the dots again.

Agreed, but I think it is fear of hell that is keeping her in and not a desire to stay.
21-08-2016, 04:35 PM
(21-08-2016 04:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 04:30 PM)Leela Wrote:  Just give her a little bit of time. The more you push, the less effect will your words have.

Agreed, but I think it is fear of hell that is keeping her in and not a desire to stay.

That's the worst reason. Sad
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
21-08-2016, 04:36 PM
(21-08-2016 04:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed, but I think it is fear of hell that is keeping her in and not a desire to stay.
You said that the car with the sticker/poster was her trigger.
Did she mention that she fears hell in connection with returning to faith?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
21-08-2016, 04:41 PM
(21-08-2016 04:36 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 04:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed, but I think it is fear of hell that is keeping her in and not a desire to stay.
You said that the car with the sticker/poster was her trigger.
Did she mention that she fears hell in connection with returning to faith?

Yes, previous to this conversation about religion, she has mentioned that leaving Christianity scares her because of the possibility of going to hell. She was indoctrinated as a young kid like I was and it's really hard to undo all of that hell brainwashing, so I can completely understand that fear. I felt it myself when I first started questioning things several years ago as a Christian. I then identified as an agnostic (prior to coming out as an atheist) simply because I had the "what if I'm wrong about God and go to hell" brainwashed fear so instilled into my psyche. It takes time to unravel all of that--so I am trying to be supportive.
21-08-2016, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 05:32 PM by Fireball.)
Maybe you can lead her through the history of hell, in xtianity. Once one sees how the concept evolved over time, a rational person would see that it's just made up. Worked for me. It was just another example of being lied to. Here is one example, but the link title may put her off.

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/hell.html
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
21-08-2016, 06:05 PM
(21-08-2016 05:19 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Maybe you can lead her through the history of hell, in xtianity. Once one sees how the concept evolved over time, a rational person would see that it's just made up. Worked for me. It was just another example of being lied to. Here is one example, but the link title may put her off.

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/hell.html

Thanks for the link Smile I'll pass it along.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
21-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Pay somebody to drive by with a bumper sticker that says "religion is bullshit."

On your signal, of course. Right after you bring up the topic again.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post