Need help with a Christian friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2016, 08:30 PM
RE: Need help with a Christian friend
(21-08-2016 06:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 05:19 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Maybe you can lead her through the history of hell, in xtianity. Once one sees how the concept evolved over time, a rational person would see that it's just made up. Worked for me. It was just another example of being lied to. Here is one example, but the link title may put her off.

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/hell.html

Thanks for the link Smile I'll pass it along.

Cool. Hopefully she's open-minded enough to read it, especially with the title. But it just shows that the whole magilla is made up. Had I been in the state of knowledge I am in now, 30+ YA, I would never have had my kids indoctrinated. Somehow, under it all, that indoctrination didn't take. I have some ideas. I'll have to think about it a bit. Might be a topic of discussion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
21-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Quote: So now my friend has gone back into Christian mode as clearly that was a sign from God

Actually it was a sign from some asshole who thinks bumper sticker religion is something to advertise to the world.

Ease off. Religion creates delusions. Takes some people longer than others to free themselves from its terrible effects.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
21-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Dodgy Hmmm...you ain't backsliding, are you? Ohmy
21-08-2016, 09:11 PM
(21-08-2016 08:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 06:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Thanks for the link Smile I'll pass it along.

Cool. Hopefully she's open-minded enough to read it, especially with the title. But it just shows that the whole magilla is made up. Had I been in the state of knowledge I am in now, 30+ YA, I would never have had my kids indoctrinated. Somehow, under it all, that indoctrination didn't take. I have some ideas. I'll have to think about it a bit. Might be a topic of discussion.

The whole megillah? Shit, Fireball... I'm not even going to focus on the part where you said none of it was true. I'm just so pleased that you know the phrase!
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
21-08-2016, 10:01 PM
(21-08-2016 12:50 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

(21-08-2016 12:42 PM)pablo Wrote:  If Jesus really is god, why would someone need to put a big sign on their car to convince anyone? Why the mysterious "sign from heaven"?
Why not just show up in person?

Can't put in link.

"Jesus built my car. It's a love affair... but mainly Jesus and my Hot-rod.... "

Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
21-08-2016, 10:28 PM
If your friend was doubting that heavily and was turned around by a car sign, it probably isn't going to last that long. Sometimes, to paraphrase the words of a song by the excellent songwriter and singer Audrey Assad, faith isn't a fire, as much as an ember, slow burning and barely holding on, but doing its best. At least the way it sounds to me, your friend's faith may be like that fire at the moment as she clings to it...it can burn really bright again with kindling, but it will burn out quickly without substance behind it.

(21-08-2016 08:59 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Dodgy Hmmm...you ain't backsliding, are you? Ohmy

I believe their* preferred term these days is "recommitting your heart", not backsliding. Tongue

*Evangelicals, before anyone starts floating any ideas about my use of "their".

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Shai Hulud's post
21-08-2016, 10:33 PM
(21-08-2016 08:59 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Dodgy Hmmm...you ain't backsliding, are you? Ohmy

Are you asking me or Min? If you're asking me--no, I've been an atheist for several years and am enjoying my freedom from my ex religion and have no intention of going back. It does suck that several of my friends are still involved in it though.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
21-08-2016, 11:46 PM
He must mean you. I gave up sliding years ago.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
22-08-2016, 03:37 AM
(21-08-2016 04:41 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yes, previous to this conversation about religion, she has mentioned that leaving Christianity scares her because of the possibility of going to hell. She was indoctrinated as a young kid like I was and it's really hard to undo all of that hell brainwashing, so I can completely understand that fear. I felt it myself when I first started questioning things several years ago as a Christian. I then identified as an agnostic (prior to coming out as an atheist) simply because I had the "what if I'm wrong about God and go to hell" brainwashed fear so instilled into my psyche. It takes time to unravel all of that--so I am trying to be supportive.

So it might take her a few month or a few years too, if she ever decides. Fear or no fear, I would not pressure her in anyway if she were my friend.
The one thing I do with my own friends who sometimes believe in weird things, is just put a little seed here and there. Usually in form of a critical question. The rest, I let them work out by themselves.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
22-08-2016, 05:52 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post