Need horror films! recommend me scary stuff!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2012, 08:42 AM
RE: Need horror films! recommend me scary stuff!!
(28-03-2012 08:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The Rite

I haven't seen Insidious, so I can't comment on that. Paranormal Activity was good. The Rite, however, I found to be absolutely, abysmally boring, without anything original or interesting to it. And, in my opinion, that's worse than being outright bad. The ultimate goal of a movie, after all, is to entertain, and The Rite didn't, for me.

I'd go into more detail, but ultimately it's up to other people to decide whether or not they want to see it, and any rants I might do would invariably include spoilers. So I'll leave it at that. I think the movie had some great ideas, but it just didn't follow through on any of them.

Of course, horror is very much a Your-Mileage-May-Vary topic, so if you care for it and I don't, that's fine. Just my two cents. Smile

While we're on the subject of exorcism horror movies, though, I'll throw in a minor recommendation for The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Nothing spectacular, but it does have one of the most genuinely creepy exorcism scenes I've ever seen.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm really not a fan of the current genre of "reality" horror. But one I thought was almost good was "the last exorcism"

I say almost because the first half isn't bad, the preacher is actually quite funny and likeable possibly because he talks about how the whole thing is a sham, and how in a sermon he can say anything he wants and people will act like he's prophesying.
But then it gets quite bad. If only the movie ended just before the halfway mark.

Insidious had some interesting concepts, like how they actually go to... spoiler spoiler... and the one scene with the smiling people was good... darth maul.... movie felt like it was double length for some reason.

I love Milla Jovovich like frsrs. But the fourth kind was terrible. (again subjective) If you want to see her in something good (though I watch anything with her in it, even ... resident evil franchise... ugh) watch A Perfect Getaway.
Her and Steve Zahn and one of my favorite new actors Timothy Olyphant do a great job.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2012, 05:24 AM
The Shining
The Exorcist
Jacob's Ladder
Martyrs
Scanners
The Jacket

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
Find all posts by this user
29-03-2012, 05:30 AM
The Passion?

Or any other old Christ movie?

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
07-04-2013, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 09:22 PM by Atheist_pilgrim.)
Session 9...creepy as hell.

Grave Encounters is a decent "found footage" movie.

In the Mouth of Madness is a good John Carpenter Cthulhu flick.

The Fog (the original, not the remake) is another fine Carpenter effort.

Dog Soldiers is a crazy werewolf tale.

Vampires is yet another solid JC production.

The original Salem's Lot TV series (NOT the crappy remake) is worth watching.

Re-Animator and From Beyond are two other worthy Cthulhu yarns.

Night of the Living Dead (going with the early 90s remake here) is a well-done update of a classic.

Alien is required horror viewing.
08-04-2013, 05:30 AM
"Dawn of the dead", is really good if your into zombie flicks. Both the original and the remake, is pretty decent.

"The others", is a great horror film.

"Insidious", is decent.

"Friday the 13th", not really scary, but hilarious none the less.

"The blair witch project", never seen it, but some people say it's really scary, who knows?
13-04-2013, 01:20 PM
(26-03-2012 07:13 PM)Trapped Pentecostal Wrote:  I'm a big fan of the 1982 version of The Thing. The movie does a great job of building suspense and paranoia. Some of the effects are a bit dated, but most of them are still downright freaky today.

marry me
13-04-2013, 01:28 PM
You really should see Halloween (1978 orginal) . It's the best horror movie in my mind, the music is one of the best scores ever written. The sequel is also pretty good. The rest of the series is all "comedy" (only H20 held up a bit). Do not watch the Rod Zombie 2007 and 2009 remakes. Rod is a cool guy, but these movies S-U-C-K
27-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Anyone know a good zombie flick set in the past besides Exit Humanity (I don't recommend that one Undecided)? Just once I'd like to see a line of redcoats with bayonets drawn cutting down zombies by the hundreds! One soldier has a traditional bayonet, while the guy next to him has a specialized one to push the recently skewered zombie face off the sharp bayonet, repeat process Big Grin

30-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Mirrors and Mirrors 2. The second one is better in a way because they cut the number of gory death scenes down and worked to make them more suspenseful and creepy. It also fills in the blanks left from the first one. You could watch the second one without having seen the first one and be just fine. The first one is still good though. lots of gore, but there are things that occur near the end that are really obscure.