Need idea's for a response email

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Need idea's for a response email
My dear Nephew,

I have heard you have become an atheist as a result of your present education in a public university. Is this true? Brief answers appreciated.

Regards,

Uncle Phil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My uncle found out that I was atheist and decided to write me about it. My uncle is a piece of work who thinks actually looks up to Kent Hovind and Ken Ham, so you get where this guys mind is. My uncle is also the same guy who refused to pay child support because he felt paying for his education was more important than taking care of his child, which subsequently resulted in his son never speaking with him again. He is one of the most selfish people I know.

The public school my uncle is referencing is the University of Washington and my major is Pure Math. Part of me really wants to debate him and be extremely degrading because I do not like him one bit, however, getting into an argument with this guy is extremely time consuming and pointless because he is so bat-shit crazy.

What is everyones thoughts on this? As stupid and crazy as this guy is, he is extremely smart and very good at debating, which is why I hesitate to even engage with this guy given the amount of free time I have with family and school. I'm very torn on what to do lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2014, 12:38 PM
RE: Need idea's for a response email
(03-08-2014 12:36 PM)GoldenRatio Wrote:  My dear Nephew,

I have heard you have become an atheist as a result of your present education in a public university. Is this true? Brief answers appreciated.

Regards,

Uncle Phil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My uncle found out that I was atheist and decided to write me about it. My uncle is a piece of work who thinks actually looks up to Kent Hovind and Ken Ham, so you get where this guys mind is. My uncle is also the same guy who refused to pay child support because he felt paying for his education was more important than taking care of his child, which subsequently resulted in his son never speaking with him again. He is one of the most selfish people I know.

The public school my uncle is referencing is the University of Washington and my major is Pure Math. Part of me really wants to debate him and be extremely degrading because I do not like him one bit, however, getting into an argument with this guy is extremely time consuming and pointless because he is so bat-shit crazy.

What is everyones thoughts on this? As stupid and crazy as this guy is, he is extremely smart and very good at debating, which is why I hesitate to even engage with this guy given the amount of free time I have with family and school. I'm very torn on what to do lol.

Ignoring him would probably be the best course. He sounds as if he is not worth your time.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
03-08-2014, 12:40 PM
He asked for brief answers and only asked one question.

Yes, I am an atheist and education did play a role.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
03-08-2014, 12:44 PM
(03-08-2014 12:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  He asked for brief answers and only asked one question.

I would add another sentence or two

Dear Uncle,

You asked for brief answers.

Yes, I am an atheist and education did play a role. I do not wish to discuss it with you.

Regards
Nephew

Shut him down. If he pushes, block him

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
[+] 11 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
03-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Dear Uncle.

I'm still the same nephew that you have always had.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
03-08-2014, 01:16 PM
My dear uncle.

I am a grown up man, who doesnt appreciate being touched by his creepy uncle anymore.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
03-08-2014, 01:39 PM
(03-08-2014 12:44 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 12:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  He asked for brief answers and only asked one question.

Dear Uncle,

Yes, I am an atheist and education did play a role. I do not wish to discuss it with you.

Regards
Nephew

While my first instinct was to say to ignore him, this sounds like a much better course of action. If you're uncle is as crazy as he is, he will keep emailing you for an answer if you ignore him (which, if you ever see him in person at family get-togethers, it would make things really really awkward). At least this way, you give him a clear answer and clearly state that it is not a matter you wish to discuss so that now if he keeps pushing you more, you can more freely ignore the man without feeling guilt or another sort of negative emotion.

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Miss Suzanne's post
03-08-2014, 04:20 PM
(03-08-2014 12:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  [quote='GoldenRatio' pid='616887' dateline='1407090964']
Ignoring him would probably be the best course. He sounds as if he is not worth your time.

I can't argue with that lol. Engaging with creationists seems almost pointless at times.
[+] 1 user Likes GoldenRatio's post
03-08-2014, 04:25 PM
(03-08-2014 12:44 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  

Dear Uncle,

Regards
Nephew

I probably will respond with this lol. These people seem to think we owe them reasons to our ideological values. I can stomach moderates, but I vehemently detest fundamentalists.
[+] 4 users Like GoldenRatio's post
03-08-2014, 04:28 PM
(03-08-2014 01:16 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  My dear uncle.

I am a grown up man, who doesnt appreciate being touched by his creepy uncle anymore.

hahahaha