Need info about evangelicals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2016, 03:00 AM
Need info about evangelicals
I need info about evangelicals, and what better place to ask TTA Big Grin

Ok, yesterday i took a day off from work and went on a road trip with a co worker. We visited a cathedral and museum of technology. I know he is an evangelical, but apart from this i dont know much. When asked he alwys tells me that his version of christianity is the only correct one and everybody else is wrong (duh) and that he doesnt adhere to a speccific denomination. However i somehow think he is hiding something or not telling the entire truth. In summary his belief seems to be really very non-violent, but he has this typical condescension for all other denominations. So here a few informations that may help in identifying what kind of denomination he belongs to or is close to.

When watching the cathedral from the outside he said "Too bad the emperor did this to glorify himself rather than glorify god".

When we were in the crypt, standing in front of half a dozen graves of german kings and emperors, he spoke up loudly saying "the dead cant hear anyway". Is speaking up in presence of the deceased not frowned upon by christians?

He knew almost nothing about catholic rites or culture, nothing, and he seems not interested at all.

He said that he finds relics just as silly as i do (there were many relics in the crypt, bones, fabric, a mask).

He almost forgot to take his cap off when we entered the cathedral.

He says he is reading the bible a lot with his "congregation" bu the never goes to a church, they dont have a church respectively.

Anyone has a clue on what brand of christianity this guy is part of?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2016, 04:21 AM
RE: Need info about evangelicals
Seems not to be Catholicism for a start. If there is no church then probably a small cult-ish brand of xtianity. There are lots of whacky weird and downright bizarre forms of evangelical belief.

Beyond that I can't help. Have you not asked him?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
19-11-2016, 04:49 AM
Like every other fanatic who has ever come down the pike -- he belongs to the "REAL CHRISTIANITY" ® brand........

He just doesn't have the bloodlust that other "true believers" do have....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-11-2016, 06:08 AM
Sounds like The Church of Cherry Pickers to me.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
19-11-2016, 06:37 AM
It's always the ones who seem non-violent that are actually the nut jobs who commit the most violence.

He's walking to the beat of his own drummer.
He has a god in his head that is unlike the others and he believes that he has god on his side.

That makes everyone else his enemy.

Watch for signs of him snapping.
Like seriously

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
19-11-2016, 06:56 AM
Since I just self-identified as a former, decided to go have a look see.

Quote:The new report identifies four key statements that define evangelical beliefs, creating what may be the first research-driven creed.

Those statements are:

The Bible is the highest authority for what I believe.

It is very important for me personally to encourage non-Christians to trust Jesus Christ as their Savior.

Jesus Christ’s death on the cross is the only sacrifice that could remove the penalty of my sin.

Only those who trust in Jesus Christ alone as their Savior receive God's free gift of eternal salvation.

Only those who strongly agree with each of those statements should be considered “evangelical by belief,” according to the NAE.

Which doesn't contradict experience. Without the google-fu I would have stated "it's just generic protestant Christianity largely made up of the "comfy with Jesus" types." My experience was generally benign but totally boring, with multi-hour long sermons and extra involvements. Gramps was a retired carpenter who did all kinds of odd jobs for our church and yours truly was often dragged along.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-11-2016, 07:15 AM
One thing is that many evangelicals who are Protestants (there are also Catholic evangelicals, who are a special evolution-denying subset of that particular brand, at least the ones I've met) see Catholics as not Christian. They also see a lot of other Protestant denominations as not Christians, but they save a special category of disrespect for Catholics and the physical objects (religious statues, rosaries, relics, etc.) that represent Catholicism. Sounds like your friend was uncomfortable in the church and was expressing the discomfort through being rude about his surroundings.

There are too many evangelical sects with near-identical interpretations of the Bible and the utter conviction that almost every other form of Christian is hell-bound to be able to distinguish to which one your friend belongs. He may not go to a church, but if he meets with a congregation at some location, he's in a denomination of some kind, even if he doesn't want to specify it. You're probably better off not asking him to clarify further, though, you don't want to get him focused on bringing you to Jesus.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
19-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Julep, I think put it best. He seems to be of the ever growing brand of "non-denominational" Christians, who each are essentially a denomination unto themselves, almost universally despise Catholicism, despite the complete lack of knowledge which you pointed out, that he had about it. Further questioning is likely to result in an attempt to convert you, or invite you to his congregation; based on what you said about his statement they don't meet in a church, odds are some repurposed former commercial or office space, or someone's house. If he is this brand of Evangelical non-denominational Christian, the True Scotsman fallacy just went into overdrive.

(A 'friend' who became a Youth Minister for a non-denom megachurch back home is similar, he thanked Luther on Reformation Day, despite the fact he'd agree with less than 1% of Luther's teachings, because he's never read them. And only his Christianity is correct.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
19-11-2016, 12:39 PM
I assume this is Germany? There is only one kind of official evangelical there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelica...in_Germany

However, there are a lot of little cults popping up. My niece belongs to one of those. Their slogan is: More Jesus, less religion.

That's all I know.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. I think i got a pretty good idea now on what he probably is and how i will go to deal with him.

@Dom
German language can be a bit misleading here. "Evalgelisch" means protestant, "evangelikal" means evangelical. EKD is the confederation of all protestant denominations. But your slogan "more Jesus, less religion" seems to fit him pretty well, when i think about it.

But i know that he told me he is evangelical and he pointed out not ot be a member of some kind of official denomination. He also knows much more about other evangelicals (like Pentecostals, etc.) than about catholics. This along with your information that there is an increasing number of non-denominationals, leads me to the conclusion he may really be such a person. I also happen to remember that he told me something that they meet in each others apartments instad of a "church", supporting Shai Hulud´s guess.

I havent talked too much about details of his personal version of true belief. At first i was a bit confrontational and told him that his belief is irrational when he kept mentioning bible verses or bible stories on various occasions, but then i realized that our relationship would suffer and he has completely compartmentalized his belief until now. So we stopped talking about religion at all. He keeps mentioning the bible (like when Trump was elected Rolleyes but not in a very favourable way. Should be interesting to put him into a room with an american evangelical) but usually i keep looking sharply at him mentioning "you know my point of view", which usually makes him snap back in and be "normal" again. So i will go and ask him about more details of his belief, without confrontation, just exchanging information, or lets say extracting information. Risk of him trying to convert me is nil imho. He was giving hints at that when we first talked about religion, but after i made it crystal clear that i am not gonna buy his BS he quickly stopped (ok, still keeps dropping his bible verses on some occasions, but that is rather *unwillingly* and due to his own indoctrination, or due to being surrouded by his congregation usually. I dont hink he even notices it himself until i point it out).

All in all he seems to follow a kind of hippie version of belief. Totally against all kind of violence, almost Ghandi-like, but not without constantly pointing out that every other christian (denomination) is wrong Rolleyes
He is a decent person in general, invited syrian refugees to his home, had dinner with them, is no xenophobe or islamophobe like so many. Sure he thinks islam is wrong, but thats about it. He looks at trump with great fear, and even criticizes american evangelicals for wanting to end separation of church and state. He also despises the german right wing populist movement (although he happens to be from eastern germany where it is kind of rampant). However he is against giving LBGT equal treatment (gay marriage, bathroom *issue* with transgenders, etc).

What constantly bugs me is something else:
He has 3 kids now with his swedish wife, who happens to be just as religious as himself (Sweden, hello!!! She must be one of the 10 religious persons in this country Facepalm ). His oldest girl is 9 now and it looks like she is a genius. Had problems at school, taught herself how to read before she went to school, has no problems speaking swedish and german, is interested in everything related to tech. They took her to a psychologist or so, and he suggested to test her for IQ and take measures. Result, the 9y old is now sittng in university listening to some physics classes Gasp. Very interesting stuff....but...where was i....? Ah, yeah, his daughter. When we talked about easter a few years ago, he (proudly!) told me he taught her (4y at the time) about the crucifiction. When i told him to elaborate he explained that he kind of by playing with her, indoc...*introduced* her to christianity and the cruxificion in particular. He "played" crucifiction and had her make a cross with J.C. nailed to it. I was like W.T.F? She is FOUR You dont talk to four year olds about crucifiction, or waterboarding for that matter, let alone re enact it. I was undecided if i should intervene, but decided that its not my business (daughter), and as much as i despise it, its not my matter. You understand? On one hand he indoctrinates her, on the other he provides her proper education, particularly to her probable case of way above average intellect. Its all weird.....

Yeah, he is one of the two reasons i joined TTA. Maybe ill talk about #2 as well soon. It will include the letters "ex" Blush as well as double conversion, back and forth, from xianity to islam and back. Its even more insane (well, a close call at least).

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post