Need internet!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Need internet!!!
Many of you know that I will be leaving shortly to attend a paleoanthropology field school in Tanzania. Part of the stipulation for getting the scholarship that reimbursed some of the money I paid out of pocket is that I write a blog in which I detail my activities. It turns out that I will only have internet the first day that I arrive. There won't be internet access once we drive to base camp in Olduvai Gorge. I was wondering if members know of a method for some kind of mobile internet. I'm checking into using my phone as a mobile hotspot this Friday with my phone carrier, but cursory research shows that this would be quite expensive. Are there any other options?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2014, 05:20 PM
RE: Need internet!!!
I use this:

http://www.drei.at/portal/de/privat/hand...ube-3.html

As long as you have electricity, you should have internet with one of these.

Maybe you have something similar in the US.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2014, 05:27 PM
http://www.satsig.net/ivsat-africa.htm

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Read this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabethg...86015.html

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
04-06-2014, 06:11 PM
If you buy a simcard,buy it from a provider wich offers a flat rate dataplan. You do NOT want to be charged per MB you use

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
04-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
04-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

If all else fails, go old school and keep a journal. Then log it in when you get home Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
04-06-2014, 06:41 PM
(04-06-2014 06:30 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

If all else fails, go old school and keep a journal. Then log it in when you get home Smile

We are required to do so according to the professor leading the field school. My sister also suggested that I post it online after I come back. I may do that if getting internet is too much of a hassle.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
04-06-2014, 07:21 PM
(04-06-2014 06:30 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

If I remember correctly, he already has a fine-looking journal.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
04-06-2014, 08:32 PM
(04-06-2014 06:41 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  

We are required to do so according to the professor leading the field school. My sister also suggested that I post it online after I come back. I may do that if getting internet is too much of a hassle.

Keep it old school. I just saw a recent study which argued handwritten is more memory impressive than typing. Transcribe it digitally when you get back.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post