Need podcast suggestions please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 06:34 AM
RE: Need podcast suggestions please
(19-08-2012 01:24 AM)kim Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't much like fat people, either.Drinking Beverage

How does someone sound fat? Blink I don't think you've thought that through.

Hmmm, is this another case of terse humor gone awry? Or am I being hoist by my own petard?Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-08-2012, 06:59 AM
(19-08-2012 01:24 AM)kim Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't much like fat people, either.Drinking Beverage

How does someone sound fat? Blink I don't think you've thought that through.

Kim, I think he was just displaying some more soft-bigotry-pride, which we all need to respect, lest we be bigots ourselves.
Find all posts by this user
19-08-2012, 07:05 AM
(19-08-2012 06:59 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 01:24 AM)kim Wrote:  How does someone sound fat? Blink I don't think you've thought that through.

Kim, I think he was just displaying some more soft-bigotry-pride, which we all need to respect, lest we be bigots ourselves.

There is no bigotry here. The fat comment was humor in response to your first silly bigotry comment.

The fact that I can't bear listening to Diane Rehm because of her voice is not bigotry. I find her voice annoying and distracting. The cause of her manner of vocalization is a non-issue, I make no judgement on it.

And if you actually think it is bigotry, then respecting it so as not to be a bigot yourself is really, really fucked up thinking.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
19-08-2012, 07:26 AM
(19-08-2012 07:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 06:59 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Kim, I think he was just displaying some more soft-bigotry-pride, which we all need to respect, lest we be bigots ourselves.

There is no bigotry here. The fat comment was humor in response to your first silly bigotry comment.

The fact that I can't bear listening to Diane Rehm because of her voice is not bigotry. I find her voice annoying and distracting. The cause of her manner of vocalization is a non-issue, I make no judgement on it.

And if you actually think it is bigotry, then respecting it so as not to be a bigot yourself is really, really fucked up thinking.

Hmmm, is this another case of terse humor gone awry? Or am I being hoist by my own petard? I was trying to be funny Chas, I don't think you're a bigot.
19-08-2012, 07:42 AM
(19-08-2012 07:26 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 07:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  There is no bigotry here. The fat comment was humor in response to your first silly bigotry comment.

Hmmm, is this another case of terse humor gone awry? Or am I being hoist by my own petard? I was trying to be funny Chas, I don't think you're a bigot.

Never mind. Sadcryface

19-08-2012, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2012 09:12 AM by Near.)
I love podcasts! The good thing about my job is that I get to listen to my iPod all day (with only one headphone, but hey, at least it's something). I pretty much listen to podcasts all day. I assume that you mean more atheist/skeptical podcasts, so I'll mainly suggest those, but I'll include others as well.

Atheist/Skeptical Podcasts:

Ask an Atheist
The Atheist Experience
InKredulous (This is a skeptical news game show)
The Magic Sandwich Show
The Non Prophets
Oh No, Ross and Carrie (The hosts of this podcast investigate various religious/pseudo-scientific claims and report back)
Skeptics with a K
Skeptoid
Witnesses for Atheism (This podcast is no longer being made, but it's from the perspective of former JW's which I thought was interesting)
Debate God - RSS (I only found this one recently, but it has a lot of Hitchens debates, and also Michael Shermer, Sam Harris, Dan Barker and others)

Podcasts I have in my queue, but haven't tried out yet:

Ardent Atheist with Emery Emery
The Pseudo Scientists (By the Young Australian Skeptics)
The Skeptic Zone

Science Podcasts:
The Infinite Monkey Cage (Hosted by Prof. Brian Cox and Robin Ince, with various scientists as panelists)
Astronomy 161 - Introduction to Solar System Astronomy
Material World (Various science news stories, lots of guests are on every week to discuss)

Other:
A short History of Japan
Savage Lovecast
Stuff you Should Know
We're Alive - A "Zombie" story of survival (this one is a lot of fun, fully voice acted with sound effects, a very cool radio drama)

(Edited to remove Living After Faith, because I see that you already know about that one. Smile )

Contribute to the Community Resource!
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
19-08-2012, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2012 10:16 AM by Anjele.)
I think I tried the one with Emery Emery but didn't care for that one, I will definitely be looking into many of these suggestions.

I can also listen to podcasts at work so I need to load some more!

Thanks everybody!

edit - Debate God looks great...downloading it right now.

Really like crime and forensics stuff too as well as abnormal psych...helps in my criminal justice classes.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
19-08-2012, 01:33 PM
So far the Hitchens Debates that I have heard on the Debate God - RSS Podcast, have all been pretty similar. I think that the debates must have been around when his book God is Not Great came out, because he does use a lot of the same arguments. However, since it is a live debate, he does rephrase things, and adjust according to what his opponent says, so it's still interesting to me. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
19-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Yep, I'm a WireTap fan too. http://www.cbc.ca/wiretap/

What can I say NPR and CBC radio have me by the short hairs. The ones in my ears. Fuckers. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Would you want a podcast where TTA forum members are the guests? Lightvader 28 391 05-06-2014 07:27 PM
Last Post: evenheathen
  Where can I download the mp3 files of the podcast other than itunes? hollowpointm16 18 133 31-03-2014 10:31 PM
Last Post: Lightvader
  Today's (3/11/2014) podcast skepticlogician 0 51 11-03-2014 05:33 PM
Last Post: skepticlogician
  Need podcast suggestions again please. Anjele 13 302 19-01-2014 07:02 PM
Last Post: Anjele
  Calls to Podcast via Skype dclarion 1 155 29-10-2013 11:36 PM
Last Post: Dark Light
  Suggestions To Save The World Smee 52 1,777 15-09-2013 06:38 AM
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  podcast 116 How atheism changed me T.H. 3 250 07-07-2013 07:12 PM
Last Post: AtheistTeacher