Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Need really good SF novels to read!
The books I seek must:

1. have been written after 1999.

2. be stand-alone. I hate series.

3. be page-turners.

4. not have cardboard cutouts for characters.

5. emphasize story over endless technical tedium. As much as I enjoyed Seveneves, the book could've had hundreds of pages of technobabble cut with no loss to the story.

No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2017, 06:33 PM
RE: Need really good SF novels to read!
I'd personally recommend "Immortal" by Gene Doucette. There's a second one, but I wouldn't call it a series. It's a first person account of a 60K year-old dude ...he's atheist, and although the book is more humorous than anything else, he sure gives a different way of looking at how boring and tedious eternal life would get after a while (he goes on decades-long benders to escape the monotony).
29-05-2017, 02:20 AM
(26-05-2017 06:17 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  The books I seek must:

1. have been written after 1999.

2. be stand-alone. I hate series.

3. be page-turners.

4. not have cardboard cutouts for characters.

5. emphasize story over endless technical tedium. As much as I enjoyed Seveneves, the book could've had hundreds of pages of technobabble cut with no loss to the story.

You should find that Rule 34 by Charles Stross meets these criteria. It is a sort of sequel to Halting State but only in a very loose sense.

There is also Time and Time Again by Ben Elton which I enjoyed.

You might like Redshirts by John Scalzi, a bit of fun based on TVG sc-fi memes.

Other novels that I have read recently are parts of series or fantasy and not stand-alone SF.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

29-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Arguably the best SF book ever written predates 1999:

Rendevous with Rama, by Arthur C Clarke.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
29-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Proxima is technically the first part in a two parter, but given the how the sequel goes, it can be read as a stand-alone. It's by Stephen Baxter and explores the um...darker...side of space colonization.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies.

(29-05-2017 09:52 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Proxima is technically the first part in a two parter, but given the how the sequel goes, it can be read as a stand-alone. It's by Stephen Baxter and explores the um...darker...side of space colonization.

I'm wary of Baxter ever since his plagiarism fiasco. I guess I can try this novel, though.

No
30-05-2017, 07:36 AM
I could recommend a bunch from pre 99 if that helps?.

I haven't read a "modern" book as of yet, everything I've read is like early 90's and further back.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
31-05-2017, 06:29 PM
(30-05-2017 07:36 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I could recommend a bunch from pre 99 if that helps?.

I haven't read a "modern" book as of yet, everything I've read is like early 90's and further back.

I just don't want any from the "masters" because they're so poorly written and naive. Isaac Asimov hasn't tickled my pickle since I was maybe fourteen. Ditto with the rest.

Well, Philip K Dick is a great exception. So is Bradbury. I've read most of their stuff, though.

No
31-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Another quick suggestion, but might be dated (although not by much), is the Hyperion quadrilogy by Dan Simmons (the first two should probably have just been one long book); they're far from naive, and well-written. I was never especially enamored with Asimov either, but mostly just because his ideas had been recycled so often in so many things over the years, that the original idea lost their luster a little bit.
[+] 1 user Likes Grauwyler's post
31-05-2017, 10:42 PM
(31-05-2017 06:58 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  Another quick suggestion, but might be dated (although not by much), is the Hyperion quadrilogy by Dan Simmons (the first two should probably have just been one long book); they're far from naive, and well-written. I was never especially enamored with Asimov either, but mostly just because his ideas had been recycled so often in so many things over the years, that the original idea lost their luster a little bit.

I tried Hyperion but I couldn't get past the first few pages. I really wanted to like it, though.

No