Need really good SF novels to read!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 02:06 AM
RE: Need really good SF novels to read!
(31-05-2017 06:29 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 07:36 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I could recommend a bunch from pre 99 if that helps?.

I haven't read a "modern" book as of yet, everything I've read is like early 90's and further back.

I just don't want any from the "masters" because they're so poorly written and naive. Isaac Asimov hasn't tickled my pickle since I was maybe fourteen. Ditto with the rest.

Well, Philip K Dick is a great exception. So is Bradbury. I've read most of their stuff, though.
Farenheit 451 is awesome, as is I Am Legend. Slaughterhouse 5 is a high recommendation, along with 1984 and Brave new world.

I agree some "older" books aren't as well written as they are praised to be, but there is some pure gold in there also.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011).

Absolute must-read. Hilarious and serious, all at the same time, like Douglas Adams meets Neil Stephenson. Best sci-fi book I've seen written in years.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
01-06-2017, 07:41 AM
(31-05-2017 10:42 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  I tried Hyperion but I couldn't get past the first few pages. I really wanted to like it, though.

I have two shelves of books that I've tried, but just couldn't get into; Hyperion took me quite a few days to get through the first 100 pages, but then I finished it, and went all the way through the second in two days I believe. I agree ...it was a sloooow start, but that level of "world-building" takes time I guess.

I started "The Forever War" last night after hearing someone else here mention it; so far so good, and if you are into military sci-fi, John Birmingham is another one to check out as well (and post-2000) ...I recommend "Weapons of Choice" as a starter.
[+] 1 user Likes Grauwyler's post
01-06-2017, 08:59 AM
(01-06-2017 06:46 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011).

Absolute must-read. Hilarious and serious, all at the same time, like Douglas Adams meets Neil Stephenson. Best sci-fi book I've seen written in years.

I actually read it a couple years back. It was great.

No
[+] 1 user Likes neurotibotical's post
04-06-2017, 09:57 AM
If you're willing to go back to the 80s and deal with the Soviet Union still existing in the late 90s, I'd recommend Sagan's Contact.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
04-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Authors I like-

Roger Zelazny
Niven and Pournelle- individually as well as collaboratively
Terry Pratchett
Gregory Benford

That list will keep you occupied for months. There are others, but these are pretty much top of the list.
04-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Octavia E. Butler, Ted Chiang, Greg Egan.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2017, 11:43 AM
An obscure one who is difficult to even find in print anymore due to the author's monomaniacal nature (which probably also contributed to the awesome weirdness of the books), is Daniel Keys Moran. "The Armageddon Blues" still ranks up there in my favorite books of all time.

Another is less obvious, but still an incredibly good book (that had virtually nothing in common with the movie adaption) is "World War Z." In an interview well before the movie, Max Brooks (he's Mel Brooks' kid, if you didn't know) laughingly said "fast zombies are for pussies" ...I think in reference to "28 Days Later." No idea what he thought personally of Brad Pitt's later take on his work.

Jack McDevitt writes some great stuff (as well as some real turds), most of which revolve around xenoarcheology, which I find fascinating. Kim Stanley Robinson has some good ones too; the "Red Mars" trilogy was awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes Grauwyler's post
04-06-2017, 12:22 PM
(31-05-2017 10:42 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  I tried Hyperion but I couldn't get past the first few pages. I really wanted to like it, though.
I'm with you. I recently found my copy, so I may give it a go again.

I know you didn't want a series, but Becoming Human by Eliza Green was good. It's a dystopian story where humans are being moved to Exilon 5, a terraformed planet. The main character believes the Indigenes killed his wife. It intertwines multiple storylines, but they all come together.

You don't have to be a die hard sci fi fan, either. The tech isn't highlighted too much.

[URL="Becoming Human on Amazon"]Becoming Human: A Dystopian Post Apocalyptic Novel (Exilon 5 Book 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOBIRIW/ref...nzbJY41TMD
[/URL]
04-06-2017, 12:26 PM
(29-05-2017 08:22 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Arguably the best SF book ever written predates 1999:

Rendevous with Rama, by Arthur C Clarke.

That book was fine, I loved it, but it turned into a never ending series that sucked the big one. How many different authors were involved in the bunch? I don't have any idea, but several.