Need really good SF novels to read!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 12:28 PM
RE: Need really good SF novels to read!
(04-06-2017 12:22 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 10:42 PM)neurotibotical Wrote:  I tried Hyperion but I couldn't get past the first few pages. I really wanted to like it, though.
I'm with you. I recently found my copy, so I may give it a go again.

I know you didn't want a series, but Becoming Human by Eliza Green was good. It's a dystopian story where humans are being moved to Exilon 5, a terraformed planet. The main character believes the Indigenes killed his wife. It intertwines multiple storylines, but they all come together.

You don't have to be a die hard sci fi fan, either. The tech isn't highlighted too much.

[URL="Becoming Human on Amazon"]Becoming Human: A Dystopian Post Apocalyptic Novel (Exilon 5 Book 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOBIRIW/ref...nzbJY41TMD
[/URL]
It is a freebie at Barnes and Noble nook books. Or at least the first of the series is.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
04-06-2017, 12:33 PM
(04-06-2017 12:28 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 12:22 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm with you. I recently found my copy, so I may give it a go again.

I know you didn't want a series, but Becoming Human by Eliza Green was good. It's a dystopian story where humans are being moved to Exilon 5, a terraformed planet. The main character believes the Indigenes killed his wife. It intertwines multiple storylines, but they all come together.

You don't have to be a die hard sci fi fan, either. The tech isn't highlighted too much.

[URL="Becoming Human on Amazon"]Becoming Human: A Dystopian Post Apocalyptic Novel (Exilon 5 Book 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOBIRIW/ref...nzbJY41TMD
[/URL]
It is a freebie at Barnes and Noble nook books. Or at least the first of the series is.
Sorry, forgot to mention that. Yeah, Book 1 is free.

Thanks!
04-06-2017, 12:35 PM
(04-06-2017 12:26 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(29-05-2017 08:22 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Arguably the best SF book ever written predates 1999:

Rendevous with Rama, by Arthur C Clarke.

That book was fine, I loved it, but it turned into a never ending series that sucked the big one. How many different authors were involved in the bunch? I don't have any idea, but several.

Not sure, though I know that Gentry Lee was involved in at least one of the sequels (which I read and, frankly, didn't like very much).