Need reliable books & resources for pregnancy and parenting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Need reliable books & resources for pregnancy and parenting
Hi,

My wife and I are going to by trying for a baby in the near future and we need some guidance as far as reliable books, forums, websites, and resources for pregnancy and parenting information. I'd like to bypass all the outdated nonsense without wandering into pseudoscience woo territory. I figured there'd be some in this community that have some good pointers on where to go for solid information.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2015, 11:28 AM
RE: Need reliable books & resources for pregnancy and parenting
Welcome to the forum.

Yup. Lots of non-woo parents here. And of course, all parents are experts at parenting so you should do well here. Big Grin

06-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Good luck!

I don't know any literature in English unfortunaty. The first obvious thing is: go find a competent ob-gyn you two can relate to and who takes time to answer questions.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
06-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Not in a position to know first-hand but I've heard Dale McGowan's "Parenting Beyond Belief" identified as a good resource

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
06-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Are you looking for atheist related stuff or general pregnancy stuff.

I'm sure there are a few resources about raising free thinking kids but...thsts more for a while after they're born.

If your looking for generic pregnancy info...I dunno...google?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the replies so far! To clarify, at the moment I'm looking for reliable sources for pregnancy and early childhood stuff. I know there are tons of sites out there, but I want to steer clear of any known bullshit propagators (for example, I've seen reviews indicating the "What to Expect" book falls in this category). The more atheist-centric stuff like McGowan's books are on my list, but yes those are for later on. I just figured the parents here are already tuned to avoiding the Wide World of Woo which I see running rampant in parenting communities.
06-04-2015, 03:15 PM
I used What to Expect When You're Expecting - I don't remember there being any "woo" in it, but cute stuff like your baby is now the size of a peach, or don't be surprised if goo comes out of your belly button (my umbilicus never popped out so I didn't have anything weird like that)... It's been 7 years to almost the day since I found out I was pregnant, so my memory of those books is fading fast. Other than that I referred to my nursing school OB books - sooo...I don't have too much to offer.

Happy baby making to you Wink

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
06-04-2015, 03:29 PM
(06-04-2015 03:15 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I used What to Expect When You're Expecting - I don't remember there being any "woo" in it, but cute stuff like your baby is now the size of a peach, or don't be surprised if goo comes out of your belly button (my umbilicus never popped out so I didn't have anything weird like that)... It's been 7 years to almost the day since I found out I was pregnant, so my memory of those books is fading fast. Other than that I referred to my nursing school OB books - sooo...I don't have too much to offer.

Yeah, I used both, what to expect when you're expecting and the first year book...dr spock too.

Meh...after a while I gave up and just went with my gut.

No one comes out perfect. We all fuck up our kids somehow. Dodgy

I know in ten years or so, my oldest will be on a shrink's couch complaining I'm too sarcastic or some shit.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-04-2015, 03:39 PM
(06-04-2015 03:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 03:15 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I used What to Expect When You're Expecting - I don't remember there being any "woo" in it, but cute stuff like your baby is now the size of a peach, or don't be surprised if goo comes out of your belly button (my umbilicus never popped out so I didn't have anything weird like that)... It's been 7 years to almost the day since I found out I was pregnant, so my memory of those books is fading fast. Other than that I referred to my nursing school OB books - sooo...I don't have too much to offer.

Yeah, I used both, what to expect when you're expecting and the first year book...dr spock too.

I know in ten years or so, my oldest will be on a shrink's couch complaining I'm too sarcastic or some shit.

You? Sarcastic? Nooooooooo. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2015, 03:44 PM
(06-04-2015 03:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 03:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yeah, I used both, what to expect when you're expecting and the first year book...dr spock too.

You? Sarcastic? Nooooooooo. No

I know right? I'm just a fucking ray of sunshine.