Need reliable books & resources for pregnancy and parenting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2015, 08:19 PM
RE: Need reliable books & resources for pregnancy and parenting
When we found out we were pregnant, I went and bought "So You're Going To Be a Dad" by someone or another.....

I might have read a full chapter before I said fuck it, I'll just wing it. How hard can it be?

Dunno if that was a good decision or not, but hell, my kids are still alive. Thumbsup

Hope this helps! Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2015, 09:27 PM
(06-04-2015 08:19 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  When we found out we were pregnant, I went and bought "So You're Going To Be a Dad" by someone or another.....

I might have read a full chapter before I said fuck it, I'll just wing it. How hard can it be?

Dunno if that was a good decision or not, but hell, my kids are still alive. Thumbsup

Hope this helps! Tongue

Geez, I agree with you. I read a couple of books and tried to imagine what parenthood would be like and how I would mother my child and anticipate their needs and everything. And then when the baby arrived I went into shock, forgot about everything I read and just dove in.

To the OP there isn't a book written that can really prepare you or parenthood.

The only recommendation I have is, before the baby is born get as much sleep as possible because after the baby comes home you'll never sleep deeply again.

It's wonderful though. It's all good.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-04-2015, 09:54 PM
I don't know that any book can really prepare you for parenthood.

I did turn to Dr. Spock for symptoms and such.

Your best bet is common sense and gut instinct.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
06-04-2015, 10:32 PM
(06-04-2015 09:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 08:19 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  When we found out we were pregnant, I went and bought "So You're Going To Be a Dad" by someone or another.....

Hope this helps! Tongue

Geez, I agree with you. I read a couple of books and tried to imagine what parenthood would be like and how I would mother my child and anticipate their needs and everything. And then when the baby arrived I went into shock, forgot about everything I read and just dove in.

To the OP there isn't a book written that can really prepare you or parenthood.

The only recommendation I have is, before the baby is born get as much sleep as possible because after the baby comes home you'll never sleep deeply again.

It's wonderful though. It's all good.

Well honestly I was just joking, it always helps to get whatever different perspectives as you can (I wasn't joking about not reading the book, or any book, and just jumping in blind). You can never learn too much about what you're getting into, I probably would have benefited from reading more.

That being said, there is also the fact that you're never going to be adequately prepared for parenthood. No matter how much you read, every kid is going to come with their own blend of surprises and unknowns....their own set of seemingly impossible challenges and, at the same time, the ability to overwhelm you with how much you learn from them. Both about them and yourself, and how much you should cherish both.

There's no perfect formula for raising a child, but then that's what makes it special. I wish I had looked into more resources before I was a dad, but at the end of the day I'm convinced that the most important part of being a good parent comes from being able to really try to understand your kid and respond to their needs, whatever they may be.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks! Now that I think about it, the thing I think I'll struggle most with are behavioral issues in the toddler years. I've seen first hand there is never-ending boundary pushing when it comes to stubbornness, refusal to share, temper tantrums, bedtime issues, this sort of thing. I never want to resort to corporal punishment (except for a heat of the moment smack on the hand/butt if they're becoming physically violent), but after spending some time with my toddler nephews I recognize the value of consistent discipline (mostly of the time-out variety) as a necessity to good behavior. I remember watching Supernanny a few years back and I don't know how much of it is BS but she seemed to have a way of getting through to kids that age without becoming nasty.