Need some advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Need some advice
So next year I'm going on my big OE. It's something I wanna do so I'm gonna do it.
The only viable option is Europe because America sucks, Canada is just a colder New Zealand and Asia doesn't offer the same visas that the EU does.

I was originally thinking Sweden. Good country, good history and English is mandatory at school and something like 85% of the population knows some English. (Take into account that the only language I know is English)
But I kept being bombarded by people about how it's the most expensive country in the EU blah blah.
So I thought alright fair enough, how about Brussels? It's in the center of Western Europe, it's the unofficial EU capital and my Dutch flatmate is adamant that I can survive very easily in Brussels with only English.
But DLJ thinks that there is nothing good about Belgium which got me thinking that perhaps I haven't had much input into this. I mean I don't know Europe well enough, but some of you cunts are actually from the EU so why not ask you lot?

So that is my question, what would be a good place in the EU to do my big OE (OE stands for overseas experience), taking into account money and I only speak English (which counts out France apparently). Oh, and I don't want to get stabbed and sold in sex slavery (which counts out Eastern Europe).

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-05-2013, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 08:38 AM by Vera.)
RE: Need some advice
(04-05-2013 08:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So next year I'm going on my big OE. It's something I wanna do so I'm gonna do it.
The only viable option is Europe because America sucks, Canada is just a colder New Zealand and Asia doesn't offer the same visas that the EU does.

I was originally thinking Sweden. Good country, good history and English is mandatory at school and something like 85% of the population knows some English. (Take into account that the only language I know is English)
But I kept being bombarded by people about how it's the most expensive country in the EU blah blah.
So I thought alright fair enough, how about Brussels? It's in the center of Western Europe, it's the unofficial EU capital and my Dutch flatmate is adamant that I can survive very easily in Brussels with only English.
But DLJ thinks that there is nothing good about Belgium which got me thinking that perhaps I haven't had much input into this. I mean I don't know Europe well enough, but some of you cunts are actually from the EU so why not ask you lot?

So that is my question, what would be a good place in the EU to do my big OE (OE stands for overseas experience), taking into account money and I only speak English (which counts out France apparently).

I'm a huge fan of the Scandinavian countries, so I think they're still a good idea. As is Holland, but I think it's actually even more expensive than the Scandinavian ones. Maybe Switzerland?

I think it really depends on what you want to do once you get here, though. Study, work, have fun? 'Cause the answer will be different...

Quote:Oh, and I don't want to get stabbed and sold in sex slavery (which counts out Eastern Europe).
Dodgy

Don't knock it. Money ain't bad. How do you think I can afford to travel for such long periods?

Still, this is the 21st century, Muffsy, please join us in it, will ya? I would understand it if you were American, they really don't know any better than this, but you...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
I can't help thinking that a good dose of sex slavery would make a fine Overseas Experience.

Given the cost factors and the language thing... have you thought about Oz? They speak a strange and barely decipherable form of English but I think you'll get by OK.

I didn't say there was nothing good about Belgium... I just couldn't think of anything positive off the top of head. I'd say I was neutral.

Serious answer... France.
Going to somewhere non-English speaking (they can speak English just don't want to) is the best OE.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
This is the 21st century, Vera?

Aww.... The 20th was way more interesting, with the pointless conflicts and regional instability.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
(04-05-2013 08:30 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  This is the 21st century, Vera?

Aww.... The 20th was way more interesting, with the pointless conflicts and regional instability.

... and that is not applicable to this century because... ?

04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Because nowhere important is highly unstable... Aside from a bunch of oil-States!.
Aside from the US. But that doesn't really matter all that much these days.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
04-05-2013, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 08:44 AM by Vera.)

The fact that is originally a very very old Russian song makes it even more fitting. Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
(04-05-2013 08:36 AM)Vera Wrote:  

The fact that is originally a very very old Russian songs makes it even more fitting. Dodgy

That song is so obviously lip-synced.

04-05-2013, 08:43 AM
(04-05-2013 08:40 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  That song is so obviously lip-synced.

Way to focus on what's really important...

[Image: Charles-Dance-benedict-clap-clap-clap-ec...f3-421.gif]

04-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Well, what else was I supposed to focus on in that song!?

I don't understand you people and finding meanings in music!
I don't understand the rules of your stupid game!

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post