Need some advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Need some advice
Hello my name is Austin and I'm 17 and in high school. I'm currently technically agnostic however my parents are Christian and I was raised Christian. I don't like being agnostic because I want something to believe, and I don't believe in a higher power for many reasons one being that it seems ludicrous but I respect those that do. I would like to call myself an atheist and accept atheism, but there's one thing that I noticed atheism that lacks that I need. That is a reason to live, not saying that I'm suicidal or anything but it just seems to me that if you've accepted that there is no afterlife or great maker then to me it feels like I have nothing to live for ya know? Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, which I probably am, but I guess my question is what gets you through the day? What makes you see the hope in life?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like aushill's post
28-08-2014, 08:59 PM
RE: Need some advice
(28-08-2014 08:54 PM)aushill Wrote:  ...
I don't believe in a higher power for many reasons

You are already an atheist. There is only one qualifier... not believing in a higher power Thumbsup

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the club.

(a)gnosticism is to knowledge as (a)theism is to belief.

Let's hope we can be of assistance in your voyage of self-discovery.

Yes

Oh! and to answer your question... see my signature. Wink

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
28-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Living is the greatest adventure you are lucky enough to have. The promise of a fantastic afterlife only diminishes the astonishing fact that you are alive right now.

I don't necessarily have or need "hope in life". I necessarily have appreciation for the life I have to live. Once you can get to that perspective, holding on to the fantasy of an afterlife is no longer needed.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
28-08-2014, 09:17 PM
(28-08-2014 08:54 PM)aushill Wrote:  I would like to call myself an atheist and accept atheism, but there's one thing that I noticed atheism that lacks that I need. That is a reason to live...

Austin, what more reason to live do you need than loving your family and friends and having them love you back?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-08-2014, 09:30 PM
(28-08-2014 08:54 PM)aushill Wrote:  Hello my name is Austin and I'm 17 and in high school. I'm currently technically agnostic however my parents are Christian and I was raised Christian. I don't like being agnostic because I want something to believe, and I don't believe in a higher power for many reasons one being that it seems ludicrous but I respect those that do. I would like to call myself an atheist and accept atheism, but there's one thing that I noticed atheism that lacks that I need. That is a reason to live, not saying that I'm suicidal or anything but it just seems to me that if you've accepted that there is no afterlife or great maker then to me it feels like I have nothing to live for ya know? Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, which I probably am, but I guess my question is what gets you through the day? What makes you see the hope in life?

You want something to believe in?

Believe in Humanity
Believe in the Future
Believe in Reason
Believe in Science
Believe in Yourself
Believe in Life
Believe in Beauty
Believe in Hope
Believe in Justice
Believe in Imagination
Believe in Creativity
Believe in the few precious others you will it so
Believe in Kindness and Friendship

Out of all of the possible completely random combinations of DNA and Firing synapses of Electrical jolts moving along a complex ocean of chemicals in a fleshy container that could ever possibly combine to make something. YOU are the one who exists from it. You are the person whom out of all the infinite possible combinations...it is YOU who exist and nobody else.

You were not created, You have been given the luck of the draw to exist. Once its gone man...there will never be another YOU again as long as Time and Space exist and beyond further than that. It is that reason that you need to live. Not live for someone else, not live for the sake of your parents or because you are too afraid to show the world who you really are! But, live for what you feel is right. Live for the believe in the above and all else that you hold dear to you.

Never give up and never go back on your word. If there is something you want to do with your life that you know is right, go out and fucking DO IT!

Your reason to live can be whatever you want to make it to be. My reason to live is to be free, to express myself, to have fun, to make money and enjoy myself to it's fullest and live longer, hopefully long enough to be a part of a science project to preserve my mind into a computer so that I may see the future and what its fruits will hold.

Now Go! Go forth and live for yourself, for there is no one else who will ever do it for you.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 3 users Like Shadow Fox's post
28-08-2014, 09:44 PM
(28-08-2014 08:54 PM)aushill Wrote:  Hello my name is Austin and I'm 17 and in high school. I'm currently technically agnostic however my parents are Christian and I was raised Christian. I don't like being agnostic because I want something to believe, and I don't believe in a higher power for many reasons one being that it seems ludicrous but I respect those that do. I would like to call myself an atheist and accept atheism, but there's one thing that I noticed atheism that lacks that I need. That is a reason to live, not saying that I'm suicidal or anything but it just seems to me that if you've accepted that there is no afterlife or great maker then to me it feels like I have nothing to live for ya know? Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, which I probably am, but I guess my question is what gets you through the day? What makes you see the hope in life?

Actually, not believing in an afterlife gives this life much more meaning. Your friends and family and life itself is vastly more important because...this is it. There ain't nothing after this. It's like a standup comedy act with only one performance and you've got 20 minutes to wow the crowd. This is it.... make it count honey!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-08-2014, 07:31 AM

Hey Austin.
I totally get where you are coming from. I struggled with the same thing myself. I really did not want to admit I am an atheist at first. I didn't want it to be true, but then I realized that is the scenario that best fits the evidence. Then I realized that no purpose that I already had would change. I still wanted to be a good nurse, a good husband, father, etc. I was just doing it for myself and my family/ community, not my god anymore. Apologists often present the "purpose dichotomy" stating you either have an ultimate purpose or no purpose. This dichotomy is false. There is no evidence of ultimate purpose existing. There is evidence that people who don't believe in god have purpose in their lives. One thing you can let go of is fear or guilt that you may not be perfectly completing someone else's idea of who you should be.

I heard Matt Dillahunty once put it this way. Saying life has no purpose just because it's all over when you die is like saying it's not worth eating because you are just going to poop it all out anyway. What you do matters now because it affects the world now.
[+] 3 users Like GodlessRN's post
29-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Hi Austin!
Welcome Smile

I'll be honest, not something I admit most of the times, I struggle with this myself still from time to time. Something I have began to gain a freedom from is the view of an after life, or a higher place when you leave this earthly world. There is way too much fear and guilt imbedded into what you think you have to be or supposed to act or believe to have peace at the end of this existence.

I'll be it that I am very much altruistic, for me, the greater good is helping others and to do that, I do not need to believe in a higher place or power, only in that what I am doing does help someone too to better themselves in a way that religion can not.

You are in a great place to talk and discuss here at the TTA forums, there are many intelligent individuals here that are more than happy to give you perspective on life.

I saw a post somewhere that mentioned that your life is like one big canvas, you get to paint it any way you like so throw some pain on there! Great thing is, if you don't like the picture, paint over it.

There are lots to live for. If I may, reiterate ShadowFox's post:

Believe in Humanity
Believe in the Future
Believe in Reason
Believe in Science
Believe in Yourself
Believe in Life
Believe in Beauty
Believe in Hope
Believe in Justice
Believe in Imagination
Believe in Creativity
Believe in the few precious others you will it so
Believe in Kindness and Friendship

ThumbsupHeart

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
29-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Just to be picky...

I would go with:

D) All the above

... except Hope.

That's just wishful thinking and I don't find it useful. But the others get my vote.

Wink

29-08-2014, 02:02 PM

Nothing to live for?

love
sex
friendship
family
books
rainbows
knowledge
sunsets
dogs
joy
grief
music
dancing
helping others
and to see what happens next. Don't miss it if you can.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post