Need some advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: Need some advice
(04-05-2013 08:24 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 08:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So next year I'm going on my big OE. It's something I wanna do so I'm gonna do it.
The only viable option is Europe because America sucks, Canada is just a colder New Zealand and Asia doesn't offer the same visas that the EU does.

I was originally thinking Sweden. Good country, good history and English is mandatory at school and something like 85% of the population knows some English. (Take into account that the only language I know is English)
But I kept being bombarded by people about how it's the most expensive country in the EU blah blah.
So I thought alright fair enough, how about Brussels? It's in the center of Western Europe, it's the unofficial EU capital and my Dutch flatmate is adamant that I can survive very easily in Brussels with only English.
But DLJ thinks that there is nothing good about Belgium which got me thinking that perhaps I haven't had much input into this. I mean I don't know Europe well enough, but some of you cunts are actually from the EU so why not ask you lot?

So that is my question, what would be a good place in the EU to do my big OE (OE stands for overseas experience), taking into account money and I only speak English (which counts out France apparently).

I'm a huge fan of the Scandinavian countries, so I think they're still a good idea. As is Holland, but I think it's actually even more expensive than the Scandinavian ones. Maybe Switzerland?

I think it really depends on what you want to do once you get here, though. Study, work, have fun? 'Cause the answer will be different...

Quote:Oh, and I don't want to get stabbed and sold in sex slavery (which counts out Eastern Europe).
Dodgy

Don't knock it. Money ain't bad. How do you think I can afford to travel for such long periods?

Still, this is the 21st century, Muffsy, please join us in it, will ya? I would understand it if you were American, they really don't know any better than this, but you...

The idea is to go for a year.
Rent much like I'm doing now, work for a while and then travel around while I work and save up a bit of money. ie: work 9months, travel 3.

In saying that I am open to just never returning to New Zealand...

Switzerland's an idea. Do they speak English somewhat reasonable?
In saying that, what is in Switzerland? The alps? Consider And I thought Wellington was shitty for hills.. I would love to ski though, snow was one of the reasons I originally thought Sweden (until I learned that it doesn't snow as often as you'd think in the major cities in Sweden...).
I shall look into the Swiss. They have nice cheese there right?

No no no, they're only long cheap trips because you're riding on the back of an oxen...

Quote:I can't help thinking that a good dose of sex slavery would make a fine Overseas Experience.

Given the cost factors and the language thing... have you thought about Oz? They speak a strange and barely decipherable form of English but I think you'll get by OK.

I didn't say there was nothing good about Belgium... I just couldn't think of anything positive off the top of head. I'd say I was neutral.

Serious answer... France.
Going to somewhere non-English speaking (they can speak English just don't want to) is the best OE.

No, no bloody way am I going to Australia. Certainly not for my OE! That'd be like staying at the hotel down the road for a vacation. Too many Kiwi's go to Australia, it baffles me.

You specifically said there is nothing good in Belgium that "people don't go to Belgium" followed by "Belgians leave Belgium".

The problem with France is that they're all arrogant jerks. It'd be like living in a country populated with myself...
And I don't really want to learn the language. Like, I expect I would learn some local language, just because you're there and you sort of have too, but I'm not going with the primary goal of learning another language.
If I wanted to have mis-communicated conversations I'd change Chinese takeaway restaurants.

@Vera, what countries in Eastern Europe would you suggest?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
It's not just too many Kiwi's coming here.

There's too many everybody's!
Stop coming here, go elsewhere for a while immigrants!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
04-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Most younger people in Europe know how to speak English. And French and Italian and Spanish and... It's just native English speakers that are too xxxx to learn another language.

My favorite places in Europe are the Greek isles, Spanish islands, Amsterdam, Prague, and the smaller cities in Austria (not Vienna). I like Italy too, but it has become sinfully expensive. So has France.

But none of Europe is really cheap anymore... and finding apartments in major cities can take months.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-05-2013, 09:22 AM
(04-05-2013 09:05 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The idea is to go for a year.
Rent much like I'm doing now, work for a while and then travel around while I work and save up a bit of money. ie: work 9months, travel 3.

I should say if you wanna work and earn money - think North, if you want fun - def. South. Well, that's oversimpifying it a bit, but... Also, make sure you've looked into which countries require working permits and what have you.

And definitely consider Holland, as well. (nice-looking men, too Angel )

Quote:Switzerland's an idea. Do they speak English somewhat reasonable?

They speak everything in Switzerland, the multilingual bastards Dodgy

Quote:In saying that, what is in Switzerland? The alps? Consider And I thought Wellington was shitty for hills..

Well, it's a rich, well-organised country, that's also way ahead in certain respects (like, assisted suicide being legal there. Not that that is a reason for you to go, just illustrating my point Tongue )

Quote:I would love to ski though, snow was one of the reasons I originally thought Sweden (until I learned that it doesn't snow as often as you'd think in the major cities in Sweden...).
I shall look into the Swiss. They have nice cheese there right?

Well, you can't really ski in the city, now can you... Actually, scratch that, there was a golf course on the way to campus where I was living and in the winter they were cross-country skiing like nobody's business. Those guys are crazy about sports. And it does snow more than enough. The sunless winter can be tough though, if you're prone to depressions and stuff.

The cheese is good all over Europe Big Grin

Quote:@Vera, what countries in Eastern Europe would you suggest?

Well, Croatia is a beautiful country (if you can overlook the fact that it has spawned Filox); and Slovenia is way more Western than Eastern, in terms of mentality and all. The Czech Republic and Hungary are interesting, too, at least for a visit. Beautiful capitals.

The Balkans, despite their reputation are an interesting place to visit and in light of the fact that we don't even lock our house at night, not violent the hell hole you might think they are.

Frankly most (if not all) European countries have something to offer, you should try and visit as many as you can. You just have to pick the right headquarters for your invasion.

Quote:No no no, they're only long cheap trips because you're riding on the back of an oxen

Won't even go there. Way too easy. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Sorry for my stupidity, but what does "OE" mean?
04-05-2013, 11:35 AM
(04-05-2013 08:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I didn't say there was nothing good about Belgium... I just couldn't think of anything positive off the top of head. I'd say I was neutral.

Waffles and Chocolates.

Duh.

Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
04-05-2013, 01:27 PM

I am utterly amazed that you don't want to go to the United States. Unless you've already been here enough. I've traveld in Europe, the Middle East, Canada, Mexico, and lived for eight years in England during the 80's. I will probably never leave the United States again. There really is no reason to. New York is like all of life in one city. L.A. will just totally transform you into some cooler version of yourself you never thought possible, and then the mountains and the deserts, and even the plains. Everything you want is here, and we speak English. If you want Europe, you can go up into Canada. If you want third-world filth, there's Mexico to the south. If you want Voodoo and complete debauchery and a high murder rate, there's right here in New Orleans. If you want the Caribbean, there's Key West and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Do you want hurricanes? Earthquakes? Wildfires, Mudslides, blizzards? We have it all. And if you want a job, everywhere in the world sucks for that, but you've got more opportunities here than anywhere else in the world.

I've ridden accross the Mojave desert on a motorcycle. I've fed marshmellows to alligators. I've taken pilot lessons. I've rock climed, backpacked, sailed, earned a black belt, owned all kinds of guns, hiked around ancient Indian cave dwellings, looked for dinasour bones in Utah, and there's a church and a college on every street corner.

Europe has nothing on the U.S. Oh, and we still have the most powerful military in the world. Americans don't go other places to live. People from other places come here to live. It's a fact.

Good luck in your decision.
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
You could come to England. We have many different cultures, some of the most breathtaking scenery and shit loads of heritage.

We have our differences on the economy and ive been a twat recently but other than that if you did Id travel down to meet up with you and help you settle in.

We also have free health care (at the moment) and if you become unemployed whilst you were here im sure the social system is still geared to protect you and help you find employment.

I understand the language Barrier muffs but have you considered factoring that into your decision? Like would there be any other languages you fancy learning because the best way to learn would be to go to the country and im sure in a year you would become quite proficient at learning one.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
04-05-2013, 02:57 PM
(04-05-2013 01:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  New York is like all of life in one city. L.A. will just totally transform you into some cooler version of yourself you never thought possible, and then the mountains and the deserts, and even the plains.

These are all good points 'Muffs.

(04-05-2013 01:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  If you want Voodoo and If you want the Caribbean, there's Key West and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

This is way too close for comfort, please skip Key West Cool

(04-05-2013 01:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  And if you want a job, ...you've got more opportunities here than anywhere else in the world.

Another good point.

(04-05-2013 01:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  I've ridden accross the Mojave desert on a motorcycle. I've fed marshmellows to alligators. I've taken pilot lessons. I've rock climed, backpacked, sailed, earned a black belt, owned all kinds of guns, hiked around ancient Indian cave dwellings, looked for dinasour bones in Utah, and there's a church and a college on every street corner.

Dodgy Shhh, you should've left out the church bit.

(04-05-2013 01:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  Oh, and we still have the most powerful military in the world.

In case your Kiwi ass gets out of control Big Grin

Most of us speak English here in the US, or variations thereof.
You can get around cheaply if you must.
We have both beautiful beaches and snow-covered mountains.
There are a bunch of forum members that live here and you might be able to take advantage of this fact. Wink

Kite boarding is big here in the Keys, have you ever tried it? How about SCUBA?

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
04-05-2013, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 06:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
You should come to Southern Cali. We'll corrupt you, real good.
You can take a semester at Biola College, learn some apologeitics, and then you can run over to Talbot and listen to William Lane Craig talk.
You really should. Tongue
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.