Need some advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2013, 03:21 PM
RE: Need some advice
(04-05-2013 08:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So next year I'm going on my big OE. It's something I wanna do so I'm gonna do it.
The only viable option is Europe because America sucks, Canada is just a colder New Zealand and Asia doesn't offer the same visas that the EU does.

I was originally thinking Sweden. Good country, good history and English is mandatory at school and something like 85% of the population knows some English. (Take into account that the only language I know is English)
But I kept being bombarded by people about how it's the most expensive country in the EU blah blah.
So I thought alright fair enough, how about Brussels? It's in the center of Western Europe, it's the unofficial EU capital and my Dutch flatmate is adamant that I can survive very easily in Brussels with only English.
But DLJ thinks that there is nothing good about Belgium which got me thinking that perhaps I haven't had much input into this. I mean I don't know Europe well enough, but some of you cunts are actually from the EU so why not ask you lot?

So that is my question, what would be a good place in the EU to do my big OE (OE stands for overseas experience), taking into account money and I only speak English (which counts out France apparently). Oh, and I don't want to get stabbed and sold in sex slavery (which counts out Eastern Europe).

I guess I need to understand what this Overseas Experience is for, then I can help you out.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
(04-05-2013 09:05 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You specifically said there is nothing good in Belgium that "people don't go to Belgium" followed by "Belgians leave Belgium".

Since when did you ever take me seriously?

04-05-2013, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 06:25 PM by kim.)
Mm... Consider I would personally pick a somewhat centrally located, economical city, easily accessible to rail lines and make that home base. Then pick up on the weekends and holidays and go see the rest of Europe. That way, there will always be local stimulation, language, culture, etc.,. and an income to spend on a number of short trips.

Depending upon how you handle it, language limitations might be to your advantage. Many companies, especially in eastern European countries, want people to learn English... the Czech Republic might give an English speaker a job straight off! So, you might want to rethink eastern Europe. I think Lumi is in Czech Republic - he might be able to give you more of the skinny on that. Plus, the Eastern European scenery - Wow - has to be why postcards were invented in the first place.

I'm partial to France and wouldn't mind getting lost in that neck of the woods but, to each his own. By the way, the French love their language intensely and who can blame them; it is the language of diplomacy. I promise you, if you simply make a scholarly attempt to understand and speak... they will go out of their way to help you and certainly thank you for your effort.

Besides, look at all the incredible and extremely bloody history they had going on in France!! Certainly you'll want to check out all the places Napoleon hung out! The most expensive city is going to be Paris but there are other centrally located towns where you could live, which are connected by rail to nearly anywhere on the continent.

The US is good. New York is expensive to actually reside in, as is LA. The middle of the country is interesting and there are certainly tons of natural sights; Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains, Yosemite, the rolling prairies where you can very nearly see the curve of the earth, Mohave Desert, Appalachian Mountains, the beaches of either coastline or the Gulf, literally thousands of lakes, including The Great Lakes which are actually inland Seas. Amazing cities with interesting people - the US is a big fucking place - I'm not sure people really get how big it is until they actually come here.

The drawback: our intracontinental rail lines suck - actually, uh... they do not exist. The east coast isn't bad and one can ride a train from say, Pittsburgh to DC or NYC pretty quickly. However, the middle of the country is screwed - there are maybe only 3 trains which connect Kansas City with Chicago or St Louis. If your destination is west of Kansas City, you have to somehow get to Wichita (4 hours by car) or Omaha (also 4 hours) and proceed west on either the one remaining southern route or the one remaining northern route. We used to have a lot of trains but now, it's completely fucked. If you come here to live in the mountains, the plains, or the midwest, you may need a car if you want to get anywhere.

People will like you right off because they will be attracted to your accent. However, when they suddenly realize you sound like someone they saw on tv probably playing a Nazi, a cold war Russian, or maybe you just sound like a relative ... very soon, you won't get any special treatment. We usually get around to remembering we all come from immigrants so, you will simply blend in with the rest of us. Your neighbors will all be from somewhere else; anyone from anywhere is bound to turn up in the US. Diversity really is one of the greatest things about the US.

Good luck with your decision. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
05-05-2013, 12:05 AM
(04-05-2013 09:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  Most younger people in Europe know how to speak English. And French and Italian and Spanish and... It's just native English speakers that are too xxxx to learn another language.

My favorite places in Europe are the Greek isles, Spanish islands, Amsterdam, Prague, and the smaller cities in Austria (not Vienna). I like Italy too, but it has become sinfully expensive. So has France.

But none of Europe is really cheap anymore... and finding apartments in major cities can take months.

I don't expect them to learn English, I just know that they do because English is the most diverse language in the OECD.
I mean where the fuck are you going to speak Belgian? I hear even in Brussels they speak French...

They have a need to learn English. Down here we don't. Though give it 50years and Chinese might be mandatory...

So it's not so much an unwillingness to learn, but more, why do all the work when they've done it all for me.

Quote:They speak everything in Switzerland, the multilingual bastards Dodgy

Indeed, I was looking at some places, Zurich and Bern.
How can a city look this amazing?
[Image: Bern_luftaufnahme.png]

It baffles me.
Well.. until I saw a birds eye view and realized why, it's in the shape of a penis...
[Image: 771px-Aareschlaufe_Bern-East.svg.png]

Quote:Well, you can't really ski in the city, now can you...

True, but the ski fields here are 6hours away. And even then they're crowded (because there's only like 2 of them) and small.
The decent ones are down South.

Quote:The cheese is good all over Europe Big Grin

Excellent.

Quote:Frankly most (if not all) European countries have something to offer, you should try and visit as many as you can.

That is the plan. Ideally all of them, but we'll see.

Quote:Sorry for my stupidity, but what does "OE" mean?

If you advert your eyes towards the rest of my post you shall find what you seek.

Quote:I am utterly amazed that you don't want to go to the United States. Unless you've already been here enough. I've traveld in Europe, the Middle East, Canada, Mexico, and lived for eight years in England during the 80's. I will probably never leave the United States again. There really is no reason to. New York is like all of life in one city. L.A. will just totally transform you into some cooler version of yourself you never thought possible, and then the mountains and the deserts, and even the plains. Everything you want is here, and we speak English. If you want Europe, you can go up into Canada. If you want third-world filth, there's Mexico to the south. If you want Voodoo and complete debauchery and a high murder rate, there's right here in New Orleans. If you want the Caribbean, there's Key West and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Do you want hurricanes? Earthquakes? Wildfires, Mudslides, blizzards? We have it all. And if you want a job, everywhere in the world sucks for that, but you've got more opportunities here than anywhere else in the world.

I've ridden accross the Mojave desert on a motorcycle. I've fed marshmellows to alligators. I've taken pilot lessons. I've rock climed, backpacked, sailed, earned a black belt, owned all kinds of guns, hiked around ancient Indian cave dwellings, looked for dinasour bones in Utah, and there's a church and a college on every street corner.

Europe has nothing on the U.S. Oh, and we still have the most powerful military in the world. Americans don't go other places to live. People from other places come here to live. It's a fact.

Good luck in your decision.

It's not that I don't want to go to the US, at some stage, it's that:
1) They don't offer the visa that I need where as Europe does.
2) Their history is boring and shit where as Europe has many many historical places I want to visit.
3) Public transport sucks and I would need to hire a car costing me time wasted traveling, and I don't even have my car license.
4) It's only one country. Where as when I go to Europe there's like 20 countries right there.
5) It would be more expensive to see what I want to see in America because of the shitty transport system and the distance between interesting things.

I will get to America eventually, but it'll be when I have more money and time.

Quote:You could come to England. We have many different cultures, some of the most breathtaking scenery and shit loads of heritage.

We have our differences on the economy and ive been a twat recently but other than that if you did Id travel down to meet up with you and help you settle in.

We also have free health care (at the moment) and if you become unemployed whilst you were here im sure the social system is still geared to protect you and help you find employment.

I understand the language Barrier muffs but have you considered factoring that into your decision? Like would there be any other languages you fancy learning because the best way to learn would be to go to the country and im sure in a year you would become quite proficient at learning one.

Traditionally when Kiwi's go on their OE they go to London which is sort of why I didn't want to go to London.
I guess I could put it back on the table.

I don't really have this desire to learn another language. I would like to learn a bit of French and German. But the primary purpose of this trip is not to learn another language.

Quote:Kite boarding is big here in the Keys, have you ever tried it? How about SCUBA?

Kite boarding is on my top3 to learn to do list. It's something I've always wanted to do. Along with learning to fly (a plane).
Not really interested in Scuba diving. I know I just said I really want to kite board, but I fucking hate swimming. I can swim and I will swim if I have too, but I don't like it. So going under the water with the potential to get the bends and die? ehh pass.

But either way, I can take SCUBA classes cheaply at the local pool anyway and there's plenty of places to SCUBA around here. My dad used to scuba dive back in his day so I'm sure he could show me too.
I can learn to kite board here too, probably in Europe as well depending on location.

Quote: You should come to Southern Cali. We'll corrupt you, real good.
You can take a semester at Biola College, learn some apologeitics, and then you can run over to Talbot and listen to William Lane Craig talk.
You really should. Tongue
Weeping

The idea of this is a sort of vacation after 16 years of nothing but fucking education. And you want me to spend that time learning apologetics? Consider

Think I'll pass. Tongue

Quote:I guess I need to understand what this Overseas Experience is for, then I can help you out.

It's to experience overseas.
I've lived in NZ my whole life. No, scrap that, I've lived in the North Island of New Zealand my whole life. I've been overseas to Vanuatu for 4 days and that is the extent of my travel experience.

I want to leave this little island in the middle of the south Pacific and see these places I've read about in the history books with my own two eyes.

And it's sort of a scouting trip for a future place to live, but don't tell my parents that.

Why people from my high school feel the need to never leave my home town (of 6,000 people) is beyond me.

Quote:Since when did you ever take me seriously?

Since you got me hammered on sake! AngryAngryAngryAngry

Quote:Mm... Consider I would personally pick a somewhat centrally located, economical city, easily accessible to rail lines and make that home base. Then pick up on the weekends and holidays and go see the rest of Europe. That way, there will always be local stimulation, language, culture, etc.,. and an income to spend on a number of short trips.

That is the idea. The question being, where should I "home base" myself?

Quote:Depending upon how you handle it, language limitations might be to your advantage. Many companies, especially in eastern European countries, want people to learn English... the Czech Republic might give an English speaker a job straight off! So, you might want to rethink eastern Europe. I think Lumi is in Czech Republic - he might be able to give you more of the skinny on that. Plus, the Eastern European scenery - Wow - has to be why postcards were invented in the first place.

Actually, my Dutch flatmate says good things about Czechs, perhaps it's worth a looksee.

Quote:I'm partial to France and wouldn't mind getting lost in that neck of the woods but, to each his own. By the way, the French love their language intensely and who can blame them; it is the language of diplomacy. I promise you, if you simply make a scholarly attempt to understand and speak... they will go out of their way to help you and certainly thank you for your effort.

I'm not against France, I just don't want to live there. I certainly want to go there.

Quote:Besides, look at all the incredible and extremely bloody history they had going on in France!! Certainly you'll want to check out all the places Napoleon hung out! The most expensive city is going to be Paris but there are other centrally located towns where you could live, which are connected by rail to nearly anywhere on the continent.

Indeed, though a lot of the places I want to see in regards to Napoleon are not actually in France..
But I will make my way to France no matter where I end up anyway, I mean you can't travel Europe and not go to France...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-05-2013, 03:10 AM
Ears, in France everybody speaks French and they don't want to speak English even if they know it.

Switzerland, Belgium and Scandinavia are so expensive you would go broke in 3 days.

Just come by Croatia, it is almost summer time, we are the best tourist destination for summer you can find. We are relatively cheap, everybody speaks English and you have a free place to sleep, dumbass. If you want history, my town is 1700+ years old, so there is that also. I also have a car and a boat on the island.

We have the best cheese as well. From Pag. Damn.

You are welcome.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 4 users Like Filox's post
05-05-2013, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 03:25 AM by kim.)
What's your town Filox, Pag? Cool. Look Muffy, another island... it will be just like home! Only not. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-05-2013, 03:31 AM
No, my town is Split, Pag is the island that produces the best cheese in the world. They even have some rewards that prove my claims. And the best lamb in the world also comes from Pag. No shitting you people, cheese and lamb are pretty special there, you need to try it to believe it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
05-05-2013, 03:36 AM
(05-05-2013 03:31 AM)Filox Wrote:  No, my town is Split, Pag is the island that produces the best cheese in the world. They even have some rewards that prove my claims. And the best lamb in the world also comes from Pag. No shitting you people, cheese and lamb are pretty special there, you need to try it to believe it.

Yea - sheep cheese is pretty fucking awesome - it's got a sweeter taste all around. And when I used to eat meat, lamb was my favorite.

I just checked out the Wiki page for Pag - pretty place. They mentioned the cheese.

05-05-2013, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 03:46 AM by kim.)
Well, Split is pretty also!
[Image: Split_center_from_the_air_1.jpg]
It's also quite large.
[Image: SplitM1.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-05-2013, 04:06 AM
It's not such a big city, around 200k people. Pag is pretty interesting, people joke about it that Stanley Kubric has gone to Pag to record the famous moon landing, because the surface of the island looks like moon, nothing there.

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post